20s S&S Carved Side Hearse

You just never know what you might find driving down the street in a small town.

I saw this driving around town, right here in little ol' Mt. Airy, yesterday afternoon. It's a 1920s S&S carved side hearse. (I was on-call at the firehouse to cover the ambulance. I chased it but once I found it, we got an ambulance call, so I had to "break off the chase".)

But I think I know someone who knows something about this. Possibly more to come.

Just not what I was expecting to see yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_0835s.jpg
    IMG_0835s.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0835ss.jpg
    IMG_0835ss.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 367
Very cool. It is just more proof that they are still out there.
Not to hijack your thread but I have a lead on a coach of approx. this vintage in my area. Still doing some sniffing around, but just when you thought you knew of everyone around you there is always one more to be found!!

Steve, maybe it was a sign from Gene to brighten up your day a little.

You just never know what you might find driving down the street in a small town.

I saw this driving around town, right here in little ol' Mt. Airy, yesterday afternoon. It's a 1920s S&S carved side hearse. (I was on-call at the firehouse to cover the ambulance. I chased it but once I found it, we got an ambulance call, so I had to "break off the chase".)

But I think I know someone who knows something about this. Possibly more to come.

Just not what I was expecting to see yesterday.

come on Steve whats more important...... an Ambulance call or tracking down a real old classic ?????? lol :badbad::smileflagcan:

Mike I am sure Steve and all other medics will agree with me."if I had a dollar for every,deal,bargain,hottie girlfriend,or 100 other things" we missed because of an ambulance call well we'd have a whole pocket full of cash,:pat:

Well, I have an answer. No, Brady, not Jay. It didn't take a license plate check to find out (besides, Paul, that's not right anyway). When I saw it, I saw a friend's pickup in front of the tow truck, and he has interest in funeral service, so I figured he was mixed up in it somehow. I called him. He was.

It's a 1921 S&S (I was guessing '22, so I was close). He says it's on a Cadillac chassis with a Continental engine (is that right?). As you can see from my photo, it has an S&S medallion on the grille. Anyway, apparently, the owner just bought it from "a guy in Texas, and it was featured on 'the Picker show'." So my assumption is that it was bought from Ardeen Vaughn, who was featured on "American Pickers" a couple years ago.

It hasn't been run in some years, and my friend said they were hauling it to a mini-storage to see if it would fit in a storage bay. It didn't - too tall.

He said they have to get it running. And also that they have to figure out why it now has a 12 volt system and a crudely-mounted alternator. Ugh. But he also said they do intend to get it to shows and such next year. Hope so, cool car.

Anyone know the car and know it's history?

Mike I am sure Steve and all other medics will agree with me."if I had a dollar for every,deal,bargain,hottie girlfriend,or 100 other things" we missed because of an ambulance call well we'd have a whole pocket full of cash,:pat:
Too true.

...Steve, maybe it was a sign from Gene to brighten up your day a little.
Could be. Thanks!

It's a 1921 S&S (I was guessing '22, so I was close). He says it's on a Cadillac chassis with a Continental engine (is that right?). As you can see from my photo, it has an S&S medallion on the grille. Anyway, apparently, the owner just bought it from "a guy in Texas, and it was featured on 'the Picker show'." So my assumption is that it was bought from Ardeen Vaughn, who was featured on "American Pickers" a couple years ago.

According to the "Bible" the engine is a Continental, but the Chassis is an assembled S&S chassis, not Cadillac.

Hi, Steve....

That car looks familiar.

It's built on Sayers & Scovill's own chassis: it's not a Cadillac. The Continental engine was used by a lot of independent vehicle builders. My 1925 Seagrave Suburbanite had a Continental 6B. Thanks for grabbing the photo. - Walt

John and Walt, thanks, that's what I thought. It didn't sound right at all that it'd be on a Cadillac chassis.

I'm sure I'll see it again and have a chance to get better photos.

Well, I have an answer. No, Brady, not Jay. It didn't take a license plate check to find out (besides, Paul, that's not right anyway).o get it to shows and such next year. Hope so,

Sorry. Your right. B04-127. Glad you found the owner. Hope to see some additional pictures of this beauty!

Back