help to identifi this radio/cb???

Rocky Fluegge

PCS Member
I have been going tru stuff i have collected over the years. I was wondering if any of you guys know what this is, and how old, and if it is 6volt or twelve volt. It says Johnson down low, viking in the top left. it does has a squeltch on the right so i would asume its a c/b? but the other dial has about five or so settings that are lettered. a-b-c-d ect. it has the dash mount and also had this big cable along with it the plug is male/female and is not the same configuration as the back. so i dont even know if it belongs to this unit. Again im kind of in the dark on this one thanks for the help.

Attachments

• desoto parts cad parts 043.jpg
    desoto parts cad parts 043.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 269
  • desoto parts cad parts 044.jpg
    desoto parts cad parts 044.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 268
  • desoto parts cad parts 046.jpg
    desoto parts cad parts 046.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 267
  • desoto parts cad parts 047.jpg
    desoto parts cad parts 047.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 271
here is the cable i was also asking about, any info is greatly appreciated thanks

Attachments

• desoto parts cad parts 048.jpg
    desoto parts cad parts 048.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 278
  • desoto parts cad parts 049.jpg
    desoto parts cad parts 049.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 281
it would be a old Midland messenger. tube type 50's stuff. most were a AM low band. if I remember right they ran on 110 volt and needed a inverter. been quite awhile since I have seen one. it would be a good one for the 53 poncho if you want to get shy of it. I have no Ida of value at a hamfest. I remember Dad had a few of them He got his lic in 54. the last time I remember him using a Midland was in a 56 ford wagon we had when i was around 6. the cable is the power feed between the inverter about twice the size of the radio and the transmitter. i'm wounder if there wasn't a separate receiver and this is just the transmitter? been to long and i was not a ham then.

I'm sorry, I cannot tell you if it is a cb or a two way radio, but I can tell you the it was made by E.F. Johnson in my hometown of Waseca, MN. They have a company museum in town, you may be able to contact them for more info on your radio.
Kurt

right your are the Johnson Viking. one of the other big players like I said it's been a long time. basically the same set up. now that the cobwebs have cleared it looks to be a crystal controlled transceiver. the squelch knob is missing off the right the upper left one is the selector for the crystals lower must be volume. the big red light most likely transit light the other power. the power cable would still be from the radio to the inverter. the reason for the funny plug was so you did not plug anything else in to it.

Last edited:
I'm suggesting it's a Johnson CB until I saw the heavy type coax. I seem to remember back in the late 50's my Dad picked one up used and the A, B, C etc. switch was for the Radio crystals that had to be installed.

We also had a Heathkit base unit that used a "spotter" type dial sound to zero in on the top of whatever channel one wanted to use.

Just did a Google...Lot's of Pics/model info available

Last edited:
i figured that you guys would be able to help me out with it. I doubt i will put it in any of my cars right now so if any of you may be intrested let me know john you have first dibs since you did mention it email if you would like.

Yeah, Johnson Viking Crystal controlled CB radio. Late 50's-early 60's vintage. Different power cables can be used for Base Operation (110V) or mobile operation 12V pos. or neg ground. Some could be bought for 6V operation. SO-239 (PL-259) Coax antenna connection. Good old radio, perfect for Coyote hunting!!

and don't forget the whip antenna

My dad had a Johnson CB radio (looked like this one) in his 56 Bel Air. It was later moved to a 62 Bel Air. Wasn't that antenna 9 feet tall?

I want to see more of that DeSoto, Rocky!

Kurt, I know you are a finned mopar guy also good eye on the pic. I have been working on it off and on. I have had it for about 20 some years it has been in the back corner of my shop. I decided to pull it out and get it running and driving again, The front floors had some holes in it so i replaced them. Last time i ran it was about 10 years. It is a pretty nice clean car though.

Attachments

• desoto parts cad parts 033.jpg
    desoto parts cad parts 033.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 114
  • desoto parts cad parts 037.jpg
    desoto parts cad parts 037.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 112
  • desoto parts cad parts 034.jpg
    desoto parts cad parts 034.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 113
'57 DeSoto

Nice Sportsman, Rocky! Looks like you almost have room for a '61 Richards Bros. New Yorker Ambulance right next to it!!

Nice Sportsman, Rocky! Looks like you almost have room for a '61 Richards Bros. New Yorker Ambulance right next to it!!

Right now my 62 300 is parked next to it getting all the spring maintence and clean up for the year. But i still like that car and keep thinking about it.

Attachments

• desoto parts cad parts 039.jpg
    desoto parts cad parts 039.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 94
  • desoto parts cad parts 040.jpg
    desoto parts cad parts 040.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 87
Back