Help with spotlights

Even those these are not the greatest spots but they are in much better shape than the ones currently on the Lifeliner.

So tell me just how to replace these please. I really don't care if they work or not just want to get them installed.

Thanks as usual.

Richard

Attachments

• IMG_4245.jpg
    IMG_4245.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_8792.jpg
    IMG_8792.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 213
The handle should have a set-screw on it that releases it from the shaft. Loosen it and slide it off, then do the same for the set-screw on the collar that holds the shaft in place. Next, loosen the screw on the bracket that mounts to the outside of the car, then pull the whole assembly out from the outside. Installation of the new ones is the reverse of these steps, assuming the shaft lengths are the same.

The handle should have a set-screw on it that releases it from the shaft. Loosen it and slide it off, then do the same for the set-screw on the collar that holds the shaft in place. Next, loosen the screw on the bracket that mounts to the outside of the car, then pull the whole assembly out from the outside. Installation of the new ones is the reverse of these steps, assuming the shaft lengths are the same.

Thank Todd, very much appreciated and will give it a go. Glad you mentioned the lengths being the same, I'm sure that is important.

if all you want to do is change the head. remove the cover in the lower corner will let you access the keeper. I would have to go look at one again to remember but it not that big a chore to swap the heads keeping your original shafts. the biggest problem with them is the contact on the handle end. half the time the handle is pulled back to were it won't make contact. so if getting a better looking head is what you after just swap them will leave everything else alone.

I was helping another PCS Member attempt to get his spotlights working, after someone else "messed them up", I got the instructions for properly mounting and adjusting the Unity spotlights in a PDF. If you follow these instructions exactly in the order that they are given, you can install spotlights correctly every time. If you don't do each step in the proper order, you will wind up with spotlights that don't function, and many times will blow the fuse when you attempt to turn them on. Save the file to your computer, and print it out for whenever you are tempted to work on your spotlights. It will save you a lot of grief, and unnecessary expense.

Attachments

• FORM 888.pdf
    551.4 KB · Views: 288
Unity spots

Just remember that there are eleven different shaft lengths and over 200 different different mount kits. To find ones that are proper for your vehicle would be the greatest stroke of luck. Check with Unity to determine which ones you need. It isn't a "one shoe fits all" case.
John Dorgan

To add to the confusion, there are a few different head shaft lengths. This is the chrome part that the spotlight shell is bolted to. To find what you need, go to www.unityusa.com . I have about 50 NOS spotlights, but none with the extra long shafts as used on the 1959 - 1964 Cadillacs. Many of the Unity spotlight brackets are still available in the current catalog, but they are a "made to order" part, and take several days to go through the process.

Just remember that there are eleven different shaft lengths and over 200 different different mount kits. To find ones that are proper for your vehicle would be the greatest stroke of luck. Check with Unity to determine which ones you need. It isn't a "one shoe fits all" case.
John Dorgan

John, please correct me if I am wrong, but if he already has Unity spots installed aren't the shafts on the vast majority of them the same diameter? I understand the length of the new ones would need to be close to the same, but if he already has Unity spots pretty much any of them should fit the hole. I know there are tons of different brakets for every make and model car out there, but he already has those installed on the car with the old spots he is taking off.

Richard, to clarify a bit, unless the outside brackets on the spots pictured are correct for your car, you would need to remove those and use the ones that are already on the car instead. I guess maybe that is what John was getting at, that the outside brackets that are already on those spots most likely won't fit the contour of your car, unless you just happened to luck out and the came off of another 73 Cadillac ambulance.

the shaft will have to be the same length to clear the dash. you have to be able to rotate the head in a ark as will as round and round.if the shaft is to short it won't stick out far enough to do so. if it to long it will tangle with the steering wheel. if you pop the angle front cover off there is a set of beveled gears held one with a E clip pull that clip and the head falls off. set the new one in place and put the the clip back in and pop the cover in place. use you old shafts. you don't need to disturb anything. there may be a difference in the heads. I can't say. but if there is you will know right away on the first one and reassembly is easy. you not out that much to try to swap them.

Turns out my shaft is longer that the new ones so Paul explained how to replace just the head portion.

Attachments

• IMG_3281.jpg
    IMG_3281.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 115
Back