Disaster Assistance-Haiti

No pro-car stuff here but felt important. Any PCS members on the DMORT team heading to Haiti? I was just talking with Pat Brewer and volunteered my services to go if they need me. I also signed up with the NFDA placing me on a waiting list with them. Time is of the essence with bodies pilling up everywhere and, well you know.
If interested here are a couple sites to sign up on:
www.DMORT.org
www.FEMORS.org
Plus you can call the NFDA and get on the waiting list with them.

God Bless You

I can't imagine been in such a diaster. I lost everthing in Katrina and this don't compare. If you go over there please be safe and stay in touch with us. :thankyou2:

article on a mission team with two Dr from our part of the state. in today's paper. they are looking for a way to get home right now. the excuse is to many bodies laying around. one thing they do need is materials and people that can handle that part of the disaster. in there climate they need it now.
as Marry said unless you have lived threw anything like that no amount of talking from the high paid news meadia about it can show what the people are going through.

Our medical director from my fire department has already left for Haiti. Our airport in Baltimore is designated as a casualty collection/transfer point. If they had to move planeloads of patients from there to hospitals in the US, we would be a treatment/transfer point, and our medics will be the point people for this. We are on alert that this may happen, we don't know.

Our medical director from my fire department has already left for Haiti. Our airport in Baltimore is designated as a casualty collection/transfer point. If they had to move planeloads of patients from there to hospitals in the US, we would be a treatment/transfer point, and our medics will be the point people for this. We are on alert that this may happen, we don't know.

The media reports that there is a bottleneck at the main airport, and the seaport has been destroyed. Haiti shares its island with the Dominican Republic, which has 9 international airports, and 13 seaports. Based on this, I wonder why the releif agencies are not using these facilities and then trucking in the needed supplies?

Perhaps you will be able to use your stable of Pro-Cars.... Call me Steve if you need a couple more.
I understand ships cannot dock sincer there are none. What a mess.

The media reports that there is a bottleneck at the main airport, and the seaport has been destroyed. Haiti shares its island with the Dominican Republic, which has 9 international airports, and 13 seaports. Based on this, I wonder why the releif agencies are not using these facilities and then trucking in the needed supplies?
Simple answer, apparently, is there are no roads. We are "blessed" by our Interstate highway system in the US. That doesn't exist in a 3rd world country like Haiti or the Dominican Republic. The island of Hispanola, where both countries are located, is apparently mountainous in the middle, and few roads cross it - I only saw one road on Google maps and it looks like a mountainous, two lane road from the satellite pic. And you can be assured that some of the roads as you get closer to the disaster site were destroyed in the earthquake. Apparently, it's 8-9 hours by car from Santo Domingo, DR, to Port-au-Prince, Haiti, on a good day. After an earthquake is not a good day.

I've never been there, this is just what I've read on the 'net and heard on TV.

Frankly, I'm impressed at the volume of the response already from the US and other countries. USCG personnel were there within about 6 hours. The first search and rescue team, from Iceland, was on the ground just 24 hours after the earthquake (who even knew Iceland had a search and rescue team?) and the first US USAR team, from VA, was there in 36 hours. It's amazing to me to see on TV the number of planes from many countries with rescue and recovery cargo being unloaded at the airport. :applause:

Perhaps you will be able to use your stable of Pro-Cars.... Call me Steve if you need a couple more...
All the county fire departments around here have Ambusses - an ambulance bus that can transport 30 stretcher patients. It would take very little time to load and move 120 patients by Ambus.

Steve - Thank you for your well thought out response. Having served in the military, I know our armed forces have the experience and ability to land troops and supplies via a host of delivery systems. Theses include hovercraft, air drop, assault landing ships and smaller vessels. I am just surprised that we are not currently employing all these capabilites.

Steve - Thank you for your well thought out response. Having served in the military, I know our armed forces have the experience and ability to land troops and supplies via a host of delivery systems. Theses include hovercraft, air drop, assault landing ships and smaller vessels. I am just surprised that we are not currently employing all these capabilites.
Air drops in the city??? Ya can drop a bulldozer by air, but where does it land? OUCH!!!! :bonk:

By the way, the US Navy hospital ship USNS Comfort sailed from Baltimore this morning on the way there. This is a 1000 bed full hospital, with operating rooms, CAT scans, etc. staffed by the medical staff of the National Naval Medical Center in Maryland. It will take till next Friday to get there, but it's going. Local news report here.

Air drops in the city??? Ya can drop a bulldozer by air, but where does it land? OUCH!!!!

I agree that would smart a bit if one landed on you! I was thinking about drop sites like beaches, crop fields, or other areas of open land. Smaller items could be dropped without much risk of injury to those on the ground, if the drop zones were selected with care.

Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson, AZ currently has operational control over flights in and out of the main airport in Haiti. They are scheduling flights, and coordinating the offloading of cargo. The turn around time for each aircraft is very quick; however there are millions who need aid and any one delivery method is not enough to get the supplies in quickly.

in all the TV coverage I find it different that we do not see any kind of government, police, fire or emergence services from Haiti. understand the total destruction. but nothing. one shot of the hospital were they were bring someone in tonight showed the back of a 70's white hearse. if was off in the back ground and a truck was parked in front of it but I seen it.

Back