'64 Eureka rescue and more!

Left house on a procar mission @ 6am yesterday, returned @ 4:10am this morning. Long day. We ran out of daylight, didn't accomplish enough - but did beat impending Sandy's downpour.

This trip took months logistically to line up, literally since last December when mentioned in this thread. Leaves obscured Eureka yesterday, so this is a shot from late last year.

dsc07806p.jpg

A good friend has tried to buy this coach for 20 years. Initial price given was $2500 and $100 for every car that had to be moved to free Eureka. Dejected, my friend stopped counting after 22 cars! He has tried to buy Eureka since with no luck. Owner lives 4 hours away from properties where cars sit. He had a bad bout of pneumonia early this year and has been pretty much bed ridden since. Maybe he realized that he won't get around to doing anything with his cars. Perhaps his own mortality has started to sink in. For whatever reason however, the owner really took a liking to me and I managed to negotiate prices down on several items to more palatable levels. A property manager entered equation on owner's behalf, then we had to wait for bugs, poisonous snakes, and temperatures to subside for season.

A fence had to be removed, 3' deep roadside ditch filled, trees downed and cleared, before then only having to move two junk cars blocking Eureka. Starting point - and you can barely make out Eureka.

dsc01107q.jpg

Since a few of you have asked to accompany on such excursions, a couple PCS site members joined the fun. Josh Horton helps clear brush & trees. Progress!

dsc01111i.jpg

Rollback #1 with a strong fast winch has too tired a motor to make any long trip. It was going to ride piggyback on rollback #2 that is for good long hauls has a slow winch rated for less weight. Rollback #2 operator completely flaked out last minute, which subsequently negated rollback #1 entirely. We then sourced rollback #3 local to yard (and for a reasonable rate) before he called and cancelled morning of. Utilizing a "run what 'ya brung" dragstrip creed, our pull truck more than handled the job. Here's the first car sliding like a hockey puck down the street after the entire rear end was ripped clear off.

dsc01122qw.jpg

And not long after after, the second car.

dsc01162l.jpg

Now it was time to replace wheels on Eureka before carefully (ie: s l o w l y) removing. To remain efficient while two friends tackled this task, Josh went to work pulling parts off a Miller Meteor (more on this later) and I began tackling a Superior (also more later). Before Josh and I even knew it, the Eureka had been freed - so I missed action shots. Only the front two wheel's replacement proved enough to move. At least one landau iron was placed properly.

dsc01246bo.jpg

Marginally rougher than anticipated once on firm ground.

The deep path left before replacing fence and gathering ditch filling boards.

dsc01256bb.jpg

After more closely inspecting, the new owner was really on the fence about what to do with it. He has enough projects already that Eureka wouldn't get done in the next decade probably. Then again, it IS a '64 Eureka landau...

Each of us understood his internal struggle. We were happy to assist with his find of 20 years ago. Work, when accomplished among enjoyable company and with a likeable subject matter, has a fun factor. Even if he decided not to keep it, our roles helped save a piece of history and that was rewarding enough.

For we found out yesterday that this entire yard and a second property are under current negotiations to be sold/scrapped; that a definitive answer will be had in the next 2-4 weeks. Maybe that was the underlying reason why I had received better pricing after all. Improved timing?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, after all the hubcaps had been removed and Eureka inspected more closely, my friend has decided it needs a better home than he can currently provide. Nicholas Yassan expressed interest immediately last year and currently has right of first refusal. Next person desiring a Eureka project reasonably that can start giving attention in the foreseeable future stands behind him.

Eureka is several hours away from me. Interior pics if there when next I visit.

Left house on a procar mission @ 6am yesterday, returned @ 4:10am this morning. Long day. We ran out of daylight, didn't accomplish enough - but did beat impending Sandy's downpour.

This trip took months logistically to line up, literally since last December when mentioned in this thread. Leaves obscured Eureka yesterday, so this is a shot from late last year.

dsc07806p.jpg

A good friend has tried to buy this coach for 20 years. Initial price given was $2500 and $100 for every car that had to be moved to free Eureka. Dejected, my friend stopped counting after 22 cars! He has tried to buy Eureka since with no luck. Owner lives 4 hours away from properties where cars sit. He had a bad bout of pneumonia early this year and has been pretty much bed ridden since. Maybe he realized that he won't get around to doing anything with his cars. Perhaps his own mortality has started to sink in. For whatever reason however, the owner really took a liking to me and I managed to negotiate prices down on several items to more palatable levels. A property manager entered equation on owner's behalf, then we had to wait for bugs, poisonous snakes, and temperatures to subside for season.

A fence had to be removed, 3' deep roadside ditch filled, trees downed and cleared, before then only having to move two junk cars blocking Eureka. Starting point - and you can barely make out Eureka.

dsc01107q.jpg

Since a few of you have asked to accompany on such excursions, a couple PCS site members joined the fun. Josh Horton helps clear brush & trees. Progress!

dsc01111i.jpg

Rollback #1 with a strong fast winch has too tired a motor to make any long trip. It was going to ride piggyback on rollback #2 that is for good long hauls has a slow winch rated for less weight. Rollback #2 operator completely flaked out last minute, which subsequently negated rollback #1 entirely. We then sourced rollback #3 local to yard (and for a reasonable rate) before he called and cancelled morning of. Utilizing a "run what 'ya brung" dragstrip creed, our pull truck more than handled the job. Here's the first car sliding like a hockey puck down the street after the entire rear end was ripped clear off.

dsc01122qw.jpg

And not long after after, the second car.

dsc01162l.jpg

Now it was time to replace wheels on Eureka before carefully (ie: s l o w l y) removing. To remain efficient while two friends tackled this task, Josh went to work pulling parts off a Miller Meteor (more on this later) and I began tackling a Superior (also more later). Before Josh and I even knew it, the Eureka had been freed - so I missed action shots. Only the front two wheel's replacement proved enough to move. At least one landau iron was placed properly.

dsc01246bo.jpg

Marginally rougher than anticipated once on firm ground.

The deep path left before replacing fence and gathering ditch filling boards.

dsc01256bb.jpg

After more closely inspecting, the new owner was really on the fence about what to do with it. He has enough projects already that Eureka wouldn't get done in the next decade probably. Then again, it IS a '64 Eureka landau...

Each of us understood his internal struggle. We were happy to assist with his find of 20 years ago. Work, when accomplished among enjoyable company and with a likeable subject matter, has a fun factor. Even if he decided not to keep it, our roles helped save a piece of history and that was rewarding enough.

For we found out yesterday that this entire yard and a second property are under current negotiations to be sold/scrapped; that a definitive answer will be had in the next 2-4 weeks. Maybe that was the underlying reason why I had received better pricing after all. Improved timing?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, after all the hubcaps had been removed and Eureka inspected more closely, my friend has decided it needs a better home than he can currently provide. Nicholas Yassan expressed interest immediately last year and currently has right of first refusal. Next person desiring a Eureka project reasonably that can start giving attention in the foreseeable future stands behind him.

Eureka is several hours away from me. Interior pics if there when next I visit.

GREAT job and save Attila !!:3some:

Glad you were able to negotiate a deal.......
and not only that...but you have to admit the foilage is beautiful this time of year !!

Again,CONGRATS !!

Jim

Steven Everhart showed up in his clean SDV after attending a wedding.

dsc01271gf.jpg

James, '73 Superior high top did not have a dash pod. It was on my list of items to check.

dsc01267lp.jpg

Somehow I entirely missed a '70 Superior Landaulet endloader previously. (Not that difficult to do really given size of property and 'camouflage'.) Josh pointed out oddity of lights in rear bumper blades. Believe that is a first I've seen on a '70 since he mentioned it.

One way or another several items will come off here on next trip.

dsc01260b.jpg

Glass from '63 Superior was a priority - which is what I was removing when '64 Eureka was pulled out. Brendan, corner glass goes to you if you still want a spare pair.

dsc01252jj.jpg

dsc01254x.jpg

dsc01253to.jpg

'63 wasn't done yet. Many small exterior items came off. Didn't bother with interior as it is another vehicle overflowing hubcaps. Did meticulously and successfully grab windshield.

dsc01257be.jpg

Another task for our pull truck was moving junker blocking '68 Miller Meteor.

dsc01200bq.jpg

Actually took several tries. Chain popped off, straightened a J hook on second effort, third ripped A frame right off car..... Once cleared, Josh's time was occupied for hours. He removed dozens of parts for his own wrecked '73 and another club member's coach. The rest of us had all of our tasks completed and only '68 rear bumper remained. Without a fire axe getting one off in the field is a daunting task. We all lent hands to button up and skedaddle.

Might be a joke out there where this pic is the punchline.

dsc01269v.jpg

Given Josh's recent accident, he deserved a break. Today he got one with some very good scores.

And with that we were off - headed toward second property.

dsc01272bp.jpg

We had to swing by/see property manager and pay for our items. Doing so provided a treat in the form of seeing a low mileage all original '59 Imperial Crown. Sweet car that deserves a better fate. Hasn't moved since acquired in the '80s.

dsc01275ut.jpg

Darkness raced us to next property. (No, not the cheesy metal band by the same name.) Guess who won.

I'm buying '60 Superior for parts. We didn't have a chance to even start removal. Hence reason for returning in a couple weeks to retrieve.

dsc01304.jpg

If we can get our hands on a Bobcat, two of us can have it out in a couple hours. Three tops. Although very dark below, Superior is on right. Down trees, then Saab next to and Thunderchicken in front have to move out gate before those 3 tons of hulking non-rolling metal can be twisted out.

dsc01298fn.jpg

There isn't much room to get those other two vehicles back in. Without a Bobcat, we'd have to use a snatch block keeping winch outside fence.

Bought a couple items from different '59 Imperials. One of them still has swivel buckets. Yum.

dsc01295n.jpg

Josh found a pretty decent rear loading door for Abbie on this '73. He and another friend may go in together and pull whole unit out to divvy up. She's rough but can help Josh's coach get back on the road.

dsc01311cd.jpg

Lastly, refer back to first thread for pics. Speak up if you need parts off one of the following because the next trip will likely be the last before selling/crushing.

'47 Miller Cadillac combination
'61 Superior Royale limo style combinations x2
'63 Superior Royale limo style combination
'70 Superior Landaulet endloader
'73 Superior 54

'67-'68 Series 75 formal limo
'80s Cadillac formal limo

:thumb:
Another task for our pull truck was moving junker blocking '68 Miller Meteor.

dsc01200bq.jpg

Actually took several tries. Chain popped off, straightened a J hook on second effort, third ripped A frame right off car..... Once cleared, Josh's time was occupied for hours. He removed dozens of parts for his own wrecked '73 and another club member's coach. The rest of us had all of our tasks completed and only '68 rear bumper remained. Without a fire axe getting one off in the field is a daunting task. We all lent hands to button up and skedaddle.

Might be a joke out there where this pic is the punchline.

dsc01269v.jpg

Given Josh's recent accident, he deserved a break. Today he got one with some very good scores.

And with that we were off - headed toward second property.

dsc01272bp.jpg

We had to swing by/see property manager and pay for our items. Doing so provided a treat in the form of seeing a low mileage all original '59 Imperial Crown. Sweet car that deserves a better fate. Hasn't moved since acquired in the '80s.

dsc01275ut.jpg

Darkness raced us to next property. (No, not the cheesy metal band by the same name.) Guess who won.

I'm buying '60 Superior for parts. We didn't have a chance to even start removal. Hence reason for returning in a couple weeks to retrieve.

dsc01304.jpg

If we can get our hands on a Bobcat, two of us can have it out in a couple hours. Three tops. Although very dark below, Superior is on right. Down trees, then Saab next to and Thunderchicken in front have to move out gate before those 3 tons of hulking non-rolling metal can be twisted out.

dsc01298fn.jpg

There isn't much room to get those other two vehicles back in. Without a Bobcat, we'd have to use a snatch block keeping winch outside fence.

Bought a couple items from different '59 Imperials. One of them still has swivel buckets. Yum.

dsc01295n.jpg

Josh found a pretty decent rear loading door for Abbie on this '73. He and another friend may go in together and pull whole unit out to divvy up. She's rough but can help Josh's coach get back on the road.

dsc01311cd.jpg

Lastly, refer back to first thread for pics. Speak up if you need parts off one of the following because the next trip will likely be the last before selling/crushing.

'47 Miller Cadillac combination
'61 Superior Royale limo style combinations x2
'63 Superior Royale limo style combination
'70 Superior Landaulet endloader
'73 Superior 54

'67-'68 Series 75 formal limo
'80s Cadillac formal limo

Attila,
THANK YOU so much for remembering the dash pod for the 70 !!!
I appreciate it !! even if we struck out:cry:
The pictures are great,it sure is kool that all these cars and items are still out there just waiting to be saved....and thanks to your keen eye and hard work they can be saved or at least help keep another on the road.....Thanks again....
Jim
PS I would be in need of a windshield for the 70 Superior...I am not sure what years fit...but I am sure you would know better then I.....

Man that looks like a lotta fun! Wish I could do something like that. Awesome finds out there as well.

I wish I had space and cash to save those two '61 Superiors from the crusher, but glad you got the '64 outta there

I really hate to see these once great cars, just going to Hell. But, I know they are out there and waiting for someone to claim them, just like a dog on deathrow at the pound.

I really hate to see these once great cars, just going to Hell. But, I know they are out there and waiting for someone to claim them, just like a dog on deathrow at the pound.

a few back i resued a 51 cad hearse , it was an exciting day to get her home but on the same note real sad to see cars go to hell like that,although i wanted her parts but also sad to take them, i try to resue as many as i can

I love these documented trips. It increases my excitement to go bring home the '77 M-M I have dreamed of for the past 7 years.

Back