1923 Dodge Brothers 8 column hearse found in S.C.

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
The McDougald Funeral Home in Anderson, SC owns this 1923 Dodge Brothers Hearse. The body was by Williams Carriage, Hearse, and Auto Co. of St. Louis.
The info on the windshield tells it all. They display this at times although it must be moved by a roll back. They also occasionally show their horse-drawn hearse which I have yet to see. The metal looks fantastic and the wood seems restorable.

Dodge1.jpgdodge4.jpgDodge6.jpgdodge5.jpgdodge2.jpgdodge3.jpg

Awesome looking coach, but it looks like it was last spray painted with latex exterior house paint.

I'll follow up

I'll follow up on this to see how much information I can get. You can see on the left front tire that it was in dirt about an inch deep. I never touched the panels on a carved panel hearse before, but it feels and sounds very thin - and not like you'd expect wood to sound. Any chance these were plastic?
Thanks to everyone who comments!

They could be stamped tin? They dont look it in the close up pictures. If it is original paint it would be lacquer brushed on. By now it would be chocky.

1924 Dodge Model 912 by the Williams Carriage, Hearse & Auto Co., under restoration in Havana, Cuba. It is from the Colección de Automóviles - El Garaje, which reopened last year in La Habana Vieja.24 Dodge Williams Hearse 3.jpg24 Dodge Williams Hearse 2.jpg24 Dodge Williams Hearse 4.jpg

Back