Pontiac Front Wiring Harness

Looks like I should replace my front wiring harness while the engine is out...lot's of electrical tape on the harness, a few melted wires, etc. Probably the smart thing to do at this point.

I'd appreciate any recommendations, vendors, tips, etc. I found one source (via Rock Auto) and they have some You Tube videos out, but want to be sure that I can start on the front first and not end up having to tear out my dash as well at this point.

Is this going to be a "Plug and Pray" operation??

If your wire harness is the same type as the one that I changed on my 1967 Pontiac, then it is a piece of cake. Under the brake booster, you will find where it terminates with the interior dash harness. These two harness's are held together by a single 3/8" bolt once you plug them together. Don't remember for certain which side it is on, but going from memory, it is on the engine side. In 1967 the engine harness was one for all accessories, but I don't remember if they changed for the engine size. My 1967 had the cornering lights on it, and came with those plugs with a note to cut them off if not used.
I know that there is a company that makes wire harness's from the original drawings, but I don't know the name. I will need to check for you...
Paul

under hood should be a easy swap. if you have a used source that is a vary real possibility. most of the time the splices and chopping up are unnecessary. a good look at what you got, some heat shrink and a little tape my be all you need. price things out and balance were the money can be spent best. there is nothing tacker then wires run all over with bare splices and dead ends hanging. but some times 20 bucks and a few hr sitting are a lot better then 200 and a couple hr sitting. getting the factory wire looms and hanging hardware can be a challenge if the new harness does not come with them it will add a lot to the swap.

Paul nailed it correctly on the harness change.
You could check with Ames performance engineering to see if they can supply this forward harness.
www.amesperf.com
They are a Pontiac Only parts Supplier. I've used them many times and have always received good parts and service.
Aaron

did mine

I replaced the harness in my cadillac from usa parts it fit just fine with no problems I am still looking for all the clips that hold the wires to the body

American Autowire Harness

Been off the board sand blasting, painting, and getting ready to put the engine back in. Ran into another question.

Has anyone replaced their Bonneville engine harness? I have a new one and it does not appear to be a perfect fit, close, but not perfect. (Yes, should have used Ames, but I forgot about it and was already on Rock Auto....)

I have the American Autowire Harness 16075 for my '71 Year model. I tell you, the old one was really worn out.

Standing by..
Terry

been my experience that you can go tot he yard get one out of the same car and have trouble getting it back in place. as long as all the wires are there and don't forget you'll have a few dangling ends for the stuff your car doesn't have then rout it as close as you can. this is were you took all those pictures before hand for, only to discover that the one thing your wondering about you did get in the pictures. :pat:

Looks like the colors are the same on most all wires as Paul suggested to me, but I am going to call them again on Monday. It appears to be the same pert number as what the Ames site has so must be coming from the same vendor...

The company that reproduces the wire harness does so by using original GM prints that were originally supplied to the wire harness manufactures that GM contracted with. Problem is that some of the manufacturers would make "adjustments" to the lengths to make it easier to produce on the machines. GM sometimes had multiple vendors for the same part, resulting in minor differences. If the harness wires are a little long, that you can live with, but if they are too short, then that can result in a problem that will be hard to resolve. It also might be a mistake on the production run that your cable was made on...

Old harness on left ... new harness on right

Attachments

• wire harness.jpg
    wire harness.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 60
Back