Stuck in Chattanooga

What a trip. I flew down to help Terri pack and drive the ambulance back. Everything was going great until I got on the west side of Chattanooga on I-24 west bound. All of a sudden at 10 pm I feel a shutter then left front wheel begins to wobble. I pull off quickly, The bearing seized up. Finally getting a tow it ends up at a shop where, GOOD NEWS, the bearing seized but spindle is good. I was already headed to La Porte when they called and said car is good to go. I'll go get her one day next week unless there is a PCS member in Chattanooga who could pick her up and hold for me. ????

Attachments

• r6.jpg
    r6.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 514
  • r5.jpg
    r5.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 483
  • r3.jpg
    r3.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 481
  • r4.jpg
    r4.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 477
  • r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 480
  • r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 487
Repacking those wheel bearings is one of those things often over looked by all of us. Call them back have the do the other side as long as its in the shop.

One picture worth a thousand words you caught it just in he nick of time WHEW!!! We all tend to neglect repacking and today you have trouble getting the correct grease and few mechanics of today know how to correctly repack a bearing. With Pro cars made from passenger cars the bearings are up are up to peak load or overloaded from the git go thus lubercation is all important. One look at the picture and you can see the heat build up. Glad it all turned out well to nice a rig to have damaged. Good luck with the rest of the trip.

In reality had this been done when you first got the car if would not be nessary for the next 50,000 miles. I'm as guilty as the next person for forgetting this small piece of matanince.

In reality had this been done when you first got the car if would not be nessary for the next 50,000 miles. I'm as guilty as the next person for forgetting this small piece of matanince.

Actually it has been done twice. I did it when I had new brakes put on the first time I got the car and again when I re-did the brakes and replaced the rotors about 4 years ago.

What a trip. I flew down to help Terri pack and drive the ambulance back. Everything was going great until I got on the west side of Chattanooga on I-24 west bound. All of a sudden at 10 pm I feel a shutter then left front wheel begins to wobble. I pull off quickly, The bearing seized up. Finally getting a tow it ends up at a shop where, GOOD NEWS, the bearing seized but spindle is good. I was already headed to La Porte when they called and said car is good to go. I'll go get her one day next week unless there is a PCS member in Chattanooga who could pick her up and hold for me. ????
Sorry this happened Richard, but love the fully functioning M-M vani-shades!

You used up the life in that bearing then.

More likely, it was "murdered" by the last person that worked on that bearing. They probably over-tightened the bearing to seat it, and then forgot, or didn't know about loosening it, then tightening it again, and backing off on the nut till the cotter pin easily entered the hole in the hole in the spindle. I have seen bearings fail, and most times, it was as a result of improper installation, and / or not being properly packed with grease. Front wheel bearings should be checked for looseness every 5000 miles, and checked and / or replaced if looseness is found. Once a bearing is overheated, it will self destruct quickly. Excessive over-tightening can damage the cage and / or the chrome plating on the bearings themselves. Also a visual inspection of the bearing, cage, and bearing race for damage, hot spots, and roughness. If any defect is found, replace both bearing and race as a unit. If you are not certain if the bearing is properly seated, then just tighten enough that the wrench shows some resistance, then loosen, spin the wheel, and retighten again and loosened enough to get the cotter pin into the hole. Spin the wheel and check to see if there is any resistance to spinning. Then check by lightly pushing on the wheel at 3 and then 9 o'clock to check for movement. It could have some slight movement, but will not be excessive if the bearing is properly set. If the wheel doesn't spin easily, and continue spinning after you take your hands off of it, the bearing is too tight or the bearing is defective in some way.
Bearings should be cleaned in solvent, then blown dry with compressed air, but never spun when dry using compressed air. Packing bearings is easy, but a little messy, and does take time to make sure that you have grease fully packed between the bearings and the cage. Improper bearing packing, or using the wrong type of grease will also lead to bearing failure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGprSqnEh2A
While you are checking the bearing, place a large screwdriver or pry-bar under the tire at 6 o'clock, and lift. There should be very little movement in the upper and lower ball joints. Have someone observe where the movement is, if you find any. Also, to check the tie rods, once again try moving the wheel right and left at 3 and 9 o'clock and if you feel movement or clunking have someone observe the tie rods for wear while you move the tire/wheel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M2D_XtuXZQ
One final thing is if you find a bad tie rod, and there is rust in the sleeve that connects the inner and outer tie rod, I suggest that you also replace the sleeve at the same time. If you find only one tie rod end worn, then consider replacing both inner, outer, and sleeve, since they are all probably the same age and mileage. You will need a front end alignment, and in the final analysis you will be saving money, since the labor and alignment will need to be done again, if the one that you don't replace fails a year or two from now. Worn steering parts if they fail can lead to disastrous results.

A couple of comments: First: in todays world what is the CORRECT marked grease for wheel bearings? I am still using the five gallon pail I bought 40 years ago. Second: if you are going to check the front end and it is Ball Joint not King Pin you MUST jack the vehicle up under the Lower Control Arm (A Frame). Then place a bar under the tire pry up and down look for movement. Jacking up under the cross member loads the ball joints and they will check tight. Third: Paul is 100% right NEVER spin a dry wheel bearing with air gun (neat sound) you will score the bearing. Forth: Tie rod ends when replacing carefully count the number of turns to remove the bad one and put new one in same number of turns you can then cheat on a front end alignment. Finally on Cadillacs in particular keep an eye on upper control arm inner bushings these were failure prone from new and just like us with age they ain't getting better.

Then one more thing to remember when backing the bearings on your 72 high top wear old jeans.that way you can just toss in the trash. But never put your wedding ring in the pocket of those jeans. Or when your wife gets home from seeing her kids she will ask you were it is. That was the most expensive bit of preventive matanince i have ever done .

Well guys I'm flying in to Chattanooga on Friday from South Bend to pick up the ambulance and drive her to La Porte. We have a trick or treat event on Saturday between 1-3 and will have the ambulance and hearse on display. Should be a fun day even though supposed to only get to 48 degrees on Saturday. Not that is cold!!!! :)
:letitsnow:

Irony

Last night I was headed north on US31 with my ‘74 to attend a fire department open house which would be my final event for the year.

While driving I was thinking about Richards post and that I was going to have my mechanics look at this issue before putting the car away for the winter.

All of a sudden I heard the loud outrageous almost grinding sound coming from the front right. Immediately made it to the right side of the highway after pulling over. My Grandson (11) gets out the passenger side and says HOLY CRAP, LOOK. Well you all know that cannot be good. As I come around the car I see the lower rocker panel trim is bent back almost to the middle of the passenger door. Further investigation I see a bunch of stuff hanging in the wheel well, the tread came off the tire, tire still inflated, can see the steel belt clearly, no tread.

So now I’m off to find 4 new whitewall tires. :(

Attachments

• 7DF701D5-AA58-4A41-A27C-6E7E91A6FAF1.jpg
    7DF701D5-AA58-4A41-A27C-6E7E91A6FAF1.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 00D7A9C6-8120-4DA1-9B40-E82FFA6E3C1B.jpg
    00D7A9C6-8120-4DA1-9B40-E82FFA6E3C1B.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 8BB72B09-B9C4-4F81-8C03-0F38DCEE00C8.jpg
    8BB72B09-B9C4-4F81-8C03-0F38DCEE00C8.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 207
Got to love those radial tires. Belt snaps and the throws the tread. But the steel belt tears everything up whipping around as it comes off.

Well the Lifeliner made it to it's new home with no issues. So think about this. About a year ago I noticed the ambulance pulling to the left did no think much about it off set that with air pressure adjustments. Could it be possible the bearing was loose needing to be tightened then and finally burned out on the road? The inside of the tire was worn to the cord so purchased a new tire. When I picked the ambulance up it drove straight down the road and could take my hands off the wheel with no issues pulling either way.

Attachments

• LL3.jpg
    LL3.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 141
  • LL2.jpg
    LL2.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 142
  • LL1.jpg
    LL1.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 139
Back