Ambulance Rocker Switches help needed....

James Fischer

PCS Member
I have started to check out the 70 a bit closer now.....

The first (and most important) are "does the siren and emergency lights work ??"

Siren is good and LOUD.....no problems....

All the lights work on the vehicle..EXCEPT the emergency lights,no front,no rear....no beacon....

So I am starting with the switches...there is a bit of corrosion on a couple of them.....The one for the "Emergency Lights" is bigger then the others and is a 2 position switch......

I have checked both Cole Hersee website and E-Bay...the ones being offered all are "push in" style.....and have there own bezel....mine are the "screw" in type....

Is there a source for this style (NOS) ??
Or do I have to somehow make the push in style work ??
I am not even certain that they are Cole Hersee...I cannot find a name or part number on any of them....

If anyone has 2 that they can sell please let me know....do not have to be NEW....used is good as long as they work....

Open to thoughts and suggestions.....

Attachments

• 2012 Christmas+70 Superior 001.jpg
    2012 Christmas+70 Superior 001.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 510
  • 2012 Christmas+70 Superior 005.jpg
    2012 Christmas+70 Superior 005.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 561
first - do you have power to the switch. if there is power going in is it going out? these switches were not a big problem. the first one with the light should be the power. it must be on to power the rest. superier was big on the in line fuses and they have been known to just brake in two. along with there crimped connectors. a test light and Patience is what you need on one of them.

first - do you have power to the switch. if there is power going in is it going out? these switches were not a big problem. the first one with the light should be the power. it must be on to power the rest. superier was big on the in line fuses and they have been known to just brake in two. along with there crimped connectors. a test light and Patience is what you need on one of them.

Ed,
I havent checked the power.....seems like all that lit up was the panel lights when you hit the switch.....and the siren/horn switch works.....
I just spoke with the previous owner ..he says it was working this past summer.....you could hear the relay click in the engine area.....when it was pushed...but then one day when he was getting it ready to sell,he clicked it on and the pilot light did not come on nor was the clicking sound in the engine area.....soooo I will ahve to check to see if the wire is hot.....might there be a fuse between the switch and the relay ??
Thank you in advance......:)

Need to know what the wiring configuration is. I have a couple of basic on / off switches, but you are going to need to fight the dog to get them. :D Once I see the terminal configuration, I can look them up in my old Cole Hersee catalog, and give you the numbers, if I don't have them in my collection. Problem is that Cole Hersee was sold about two years ago to a investment group, and they divested all the old inventory that wasn't being sold in any volume, so finding them even with the correct part number might be a problem. The switches were also made by Carling, and Cuttler Hammer, but they have discontinued most of the stuff that doesn't have an industrial application. I know because I went looking for other items that they made for the coach builders to no avail...
Paul

Attachments

• MVC-003L.JPG
    MVC-003L.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 446
  • MVC-004L.JPG
    MVC-004L.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 470
the superiors are all a mystery. but if i remember right the dash lights were separate powered switch. the horn /siren switch is a router switch. it trades the ground from the horn relay to the siren relay no power to it. the first rocker with the light would need to be on to power the rest of the panel. there is a relay under the hood for power to all things superior as I recall. some things required the key to be on some did not. test light and small batter charger are your friend when it comes to tracing out what is what. but a word of advice don't start taking things apart. removing covers is necessary but your can get lost in a hurry you get to much apart at once. one thing at a time on a superior. start at the battery and work your way to the light till you find the open, one circuit at a time.

I may be able to get my hands on one or two lighted rocker switches, the same as what is shown and working. I had a couple wired up to a light we (made) while bored at the fire station. Just stuff from the junk drawer, essentially. Free

I am also missing the proper similar switch for my siren Brake for the 76XL. As with other brake switches it recoils back when not depressed. Any leads much appreciated. The one I have hooked up is too large to fit in the panel.

the superiors are all a mystery. but if i remember right the dash lights were separate powered switch. the horn /siren switch is a router switch. it trades the ground from the horn relay to the siren relay no power to it. the first rocker with the light would need to be on to power the rest of the panel. there is a relay under the hood for power to all things superior as I recall. some things required the key to be on some did not. test light and small batter charger are your friend when it comes to tracing out what is what. but a word of advice don't start taking things apart. removing covers is necessary but your can get lost in a hurry you get to much apart at once. one thing at a time on a superior. start at the battery and work your way to the light till you find the open, one circuit at a time.

I am NO electrician......I will probably have to farm this portion out......to someone who knows what they are doing......I can change a switch..and thats about it.....
Everything else works,the cot light the rear courtesy lights,the vents....just not the emergency lights......I did unzip the headliner in front and all that is there is 2 wires----cut---- a red and a green......
Looked at Superiors 70 manual wiring diagram...and it does not give much detail...as to red/grn....

Need to know what the wiring configuration is. I have a couple of basic on / off switches, but you are going to need to fight the dog to get them. :D Once I see the terminal configuration, I can look them up in my old Cole Hersee catalog, and give you the numbers, if I don't have them in my collection. Problem is that Cole Hersee was sold about two years ago to a investment group, and they divested all the old inventory that wasn't being sold in any volume, so finding them even with the correct part number might be a problem. The switches were also made by Carling, and Cuttler Hammer, but they have discontinued most of the stuff that doesn't have an industrial application. I know because I went looking for other items that they made for the coach builders to no avail...
Paul

Thanks Paul.....
I dont want to wrestle the dog for them......he looks like he really likes them....
The lighted rocker seems to be a 2 position switch....and it is a bigger/heavier switch then the others.....

May not be much help,but on our superiors the rocker 2 way when up ran all lights,and when down just ran corner reds,most garages we took our cars to,simply cut the wires,and put in new ones,what a mess that made,

yes i forgot the two way rocker. superiors were wired by hand for the accessory they were putting on the car. in final assembly. the key to were you want to be is the panel. test light for power. if the rocker switch has no power tearing apart wiring past that will only confuse things. you need to be looking in the other direction. the it's more then I can do may be the best thing you can do.

I am NO electrician

This is a great tool a power probe

When you connect your Power Probe to the car battery you will have a multitude of testers at your fingertips. With the press of a switch you'll have an instant hot lead or ground lead. Use the probe tip and ground lead simultaneously to power up components right in your hand. Instantly check components for continuity as well as identify positive, negative and open circuits without re-polarizing hook up clips. Locate shorts without wasting fuses.

There are all kinds of models for this tool, you can get one with a volt meter built in all kinds of leads etc, etc,It has a built in circuit breaker. So if you inadvertently short something or probing and hit and short , the breaker pops on the tool , you just reset it and go on , no climbing in out replacing fuses . This a great tool for electrical work.

switches

Jim you need to replace the 30 amp relays. They are under dash if not above in headliner. you can get the switches a Lehr Electric in sacramento. Just bring to them what you have and match them up. i had about a dozen new, but gave them to Jim when he bough my 75 Superior a year back. Don't think I have any left, i will look. they cost about ten bucks each at lehr. Hope that helps?:D

Jim you need to replace the 30 amp relays. They are under dash if not above in headliner. you can get the switches a Lehr Electric in sacramento. Just bring to them what you have and match them up. i had about a dozen new, but gave them to Jim when he bough my 75 Superior a year back. Don't think I have any left, i will look. they cost about ten bucks each at lehr. Hope that helps?:D

Kent,

Thank you for the information....I checked the headliner..there is nothing there......Havent gone under dash yet.....

I am still thinking that the switch is bad.....since I put a "live" wire on it and the "pilot" light does not work either...??:confused:

It probably is a case of BOTH being bad.....

Ahhh Lehr..know them well..I have an appointment for next month ...they are going to put a Q2 on the 72.....
But if I can fint the 30amp relay I will run it by there and see if I can get a new one.....

Thanks again,,
Jim

Switch update....and photo

Kent,

The guy there pretty much laughed....

On top of that...he has been there 40 36 years and says he can never remember seeing a switch like that one.....(it being bigger-wider) then the conventional CH rockers.....he said they may NOT be Cole Hersee..or someone had them "built to specs" back in the day (Superior,possibly) ??

Anyways...no luck there....and the search goes on.....

Paul

Paul here are a couple of pics: Thanks again...

th_003.jpg

th_004.jpg

Three have lights, one doesn't; kinda grimy, need cleaned. The 70's ambulance they came out of was turned into a rescue truck, which was ran till it wasn't street legal. But they're yours if you want them. Just PM w/ an address and I'll mail them at no cost.

Back