1956 Olds ambulance

I was on the phone late last night with Paul when we got this posted as a test shot. Paul finally got me squared away on how to post photos (given my current status, which will be changing shortly).

I've got another couple photos to post and the story that goes with them. This car and I have a history that goes back to 1973.

OK, the lesson in how to post multiple images has been learned. Thanks to Paul, I got it figured out.

Here is the story. I first got involved with this car in 1973. It belonged to Dottie Szackovitz the promoter at Fremont Speedway. I had a small ambulance/livery service running and somehow got roped into running safety crews on a couple speedways. As part of the contract I removed this vehicle from the speedway to protect our contract. It was not acceptable (to me) for use, so I stored it. In 1977 when we got out of the speedway safety business I returned the vehicle to her. As I recall (it's an old memory we're working with here) the unit had around 35,000 miles on it.

The next time I saw the vehicle was about 10 years ago. It appeared in it's current location, on SR 53 about 5 miles north of the Ohio Turnpike, near Fremont. It remained there, at various times for sale, sometimes not. About 2 years ago it disappeared. It reappeared in October, painted in it's current black and orange scheme, and loaded with all sorts of Halloween related figurines. My grandson Zach and I went over and took these photos yesterday. We didn't enter the mans property. He has a reputation for being.......let's be nice here, difficult.

It is indeed a 1956 Oldsmobile, unknown body builder. It has a big V-8 engine, and a 3 speed manual transmission. It appears to be in fairly good condition. To answer the question on the items in the grille.....it had 2 oval shaped flashing red lights located there. The housings are still there. It had a Federal Model 28 siren. As I recall it is a straight ambulance, not a combination. It used to be red and white. The current paint job looks like it was applied with a bucket and brush.

The old bus in the first photo is an old GM Coach, maybe an old Greyhound. It is on the other side of the property. That's the story as best I can relate it.

Guess the lesson needs some more work. Sorry for the multiple posts.

Merry Christmas to all, it's a heckuva night!!!!!!

Figured out this morning how/why I got the multiple posts. It's a VISTA thing. My old system let me "drop" windows to the bottom of the screen. VISTA puts a "dropped" window in a new toolbar along the top of whatever you're working on. It also lets you drop them to the bottom, but only one will show as being open. When you drop another one it closes the first one. Everytime you toggle between screens (like when I was uploading photos) it just goes ahead and adds them to wherever you are working. Very confusing. Again, sorry for the multiple posts.

I've been at war with technology for years, and it would appear at this point that technology is winning.

Back