Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:35 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,910 Times in 1,375 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking good Clay, I really like your ambulance.
Past Northeast Chapter President
Past BoD Member
Co-Chair PCS 1999 Lancaster Meet

And I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Marcy For This Useful Post:
Clay Sellick (05-09-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 11:36 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 0

Clay,

Forgive me for what may be a silly question- but the pictured/circled holes here are for a standard mounting bracket for the F-W Model 1 cot bar you have installed. You can see the outline remaining from where it used used to be. Was there some reason the brackets couldn't be used? I've attached the cot fasteners page from the 1963 F-W "Full Line" catalog for reference.

The black nylon pictured appears to be some form of "hasty litter," but I cannot say for sure. I would suspect more mortuary in nature than EMS - but could be either.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Nicholas Studer For This Useful Post:
Dave Lisiecki (08-25-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 11:54 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,403 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Clay,
The F-W Model 1 mounting brackets that Nick described are a common bracket and readily available. I probably have 8 pair of them, if you are unable to find them elsewhere. Were the home-made black brackets with the car when you got it?
1996 S&S 6-Door
Old 05-09-2018, 10:34 AM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,348 Times in 6,059 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

you would look correct with a set of slides on your rack. then of course all the nuts go in the inside to keep from hurting your self but defiantly moving in the right direction. if you cant find a s let of the flat bar mounts I should have a extra set here I can send you. but good job of engineering that rack to hold the bar.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:08 AM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Studer View Post
Clay,

Forgive me for what may be a silly question- but the pictured/circled holes here are for a standard mounting bracket for the F-W Model 1 cot bar you have installed. You can see the outline remaining from where it used used to be. Was there some reason the brackets couldn't be used? I've attached the cot fasteners page from the 1963 F-W "Full Line" catalog for reference.

The black nylon pictured appears to be some form of "hasty litter," but I cannot say for sure. I would suspect more mortuary in nature than EMS - but could be either.
Yes, I do believe that they had some sort of mechanism that bolted in those holes. Unfortunately, when I mounted it originally to the same holes, it was too low to grab the side of the strecher. I had to make the brackets because I had to go above the sidewalk of the car as it was too low as well. I will have to get shorter bolts but I think I'll keep the twist on nuts for easy removal. I see in the picture you included that there is a style of strecher bar that folds up. That would be ideal for me. Anyways, that was my method behind the madness.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:58 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 10,212 Times in 2,660 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Sellick View Post
Unfortunately, when I mounted it originally to the same holes, it was too low to grab the side of the strecher. I had to make the brackets because I had to go above the sidewalk of the car as it was too low as well.
Is this to accommodate the #30 cot seen in earlier photos?

Based on the original mounting holes, your car likely had a #54-L or a #32 when in service.
Clay Sellick (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 12:04 PM
PCS Member

Yes, it's the same cot from previous photos. It came with the ambulance when I bought it.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:06 PM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Studer View Post
The Model 1 was the only option from F-W available at that time for side-mounting. The Model 2/3 are the same thing with either both floor-mounted hardware or one floor and one side-mounted. The distance between sets of holes isn't relevant - with small changes it's the same product for approx. 20 years. If the car were older - or perhaps someone used "leftovers," it's possible the Washington Mortuary equivalent could've been used - the bracket/bar are slightly different based on generation. A final and less common option is Baumgardner - which was still producing product up to at least 1964.

The low-headroom cots at that time were the Model 21L (single-level, "two-man"), Model 54L (two-level, "two-man"), Model 32 (Multi-level X-frame, "two-man") and Model 27 (Two-level, "One-Man"). Of course, folks didn't always follow the "book" and could've used the regular height cot equivalents despite having a low-headroom vehicle. I think for 1966 with side-mount hardware obviously having been present - the most likely would've been a Model 32.

Congrats on your purchase. As far as I am aware, you have the second Chrysler-branded ambulance from the time period that survives today.
Quote:
Yes, I do believe that they had some sort of mechanism that bolted in those holes. Unfortunately, when I mounted it originally to the same holes, it was too low to grab the side of the strecher. I had to make the brackets because I had to go above the sidewalk of the car as it was too low as well. I will have to get shorter bolts but I think I'll keep the twist on nuts for easy removal. I see in the picture you included that there is a style of strecher bar that folds up. That would be ideal for me. Anyways, that was my method behind the madness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loftin View Post
Is this to accommodate the #30 cot seen in earlier photos?

Based on the original mounting holes, your car likely had a #54-L or a #32 when in service.
Quote:
Yes, it's the same cot from previous photos. It came with the ambulance when I bought it.
Clay - your Model 30 cot is 1980s/1990s vintage. It is likely something that was tossed in by one of the "Previous Owners." The Model 30 is too high for your headroom, but anything's possible. Station wagon type ambulances and combinations indeed had regular headroom cots at times.

As mentiond previously above, the Model 32 is very likely. I have one that is not being used, but hesitate to part with it at the moment. If you wish to make this authenti and cannot find one, please contact me and we can talk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nicholas Studer For This Useful Post:
Clay Sellick (05-09-2018), Paul Steinberg  (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 10:03 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,656 Times in 3,812 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

I also might have one. I will have to have Nick ID my cots to be certain. Then I need to buy Dan Scully a plane ticket, so he can come East to help wrap it for shipment...
Old 05-10-2018, 08:46 AM
PCS Member

Thanks guys. For now il use the brackets, but I may be interested in the correct strecher in the future. Also,I see Paul is looking for one too but, if anyone has a folding strecher bar, I'm interested. Just make sure Paul gets one first. Thanks.
Paul Steinberg  (05-10-2018)

Tags
ambulance, chrysler, country, pei, town