Silent Siren Glass

Bill Carlin

PCS Life Member
My Silent Siren is loosing the printing on the glass. I have a friend who owns a screen printing business who can reproduce the piece for me. I am having new glass cut in a circle for him to print on. Is there anyone else out there that would be interested in a new glass piece with the FUNERAL printed on it for their silent siren? I am not totally sure of the cost yet. I am just wondering if there is interest, not taking orders yet.

Although I don't have a silent siren it would be nice to have a lens for display maybe. Let me know what ya come up with on it if ya don't mind!

silent siren lens

Bill,
Put me down for one if this comes through. i don't have a silent siren but will display the glass in my show case of PCS/hearse/ambulance memorabilia.
Let me know a price as soon as you get more info.
Thanks,
Mike
61 M-M

Is the glass on yours flat? I always thought they were domed?

The ones I've seen in person have all been flat. Are you getting ideas? If you know how to make a Grimes lens out of plastic, a flat circle with a silent siren design would be a piece of cake I bet.

The originals were flat and used translucent paint for the cross and the background. The reason that they deteriorate is that it is difficult to get paint to adhere to glass for any length of time. If the glass were frosted first, then it might adhere better, however, that might obscure some of the light transmission through the glass.

This is already being done. I have a remake one that I bought off another website, but right now I cannot think of it. They use plex or lexan instead of glass.

The paint would stick well to plastic verses glass.

Likely the same price for plastic or glass cost wise to buy.

Glass would be much closer to the original though.

:my2cents:

Glass is origional and lexon yellows after a few years. With the plastic ones, you wouldn't have to worry about rocks hitting it and breaking, however, if I am going to restore something and can make it close to origional, I will do that.

But that is just me!

Back