56 Cadillac Ambulance mysterious holes

My 56 Superior has a strange hole in the side of the right front fender
The hole is about an inch in diameter with three bolt holes surrounding it. I have seen this on a '57 Superior ambulance as well.Does anyone know what was mounted here ? some kind of plug in or antenna ?
Thanks for any info.
Cheers,Pat

daytona009.jpg

I have seen this on several of the older models for the 2-way radio antenna. These antennas had a flat round base with three bolts then an adjustment and flex spring then the long part of the antenna. I wish I had a photo but I don't. I do not know of any other reason. It would be interesting to see if someone else knows of another reason.

yeah, it's where a VHF Low-Band Two-way radio antenna was mounted. It has a large adjustable ball on the bottom, then usually a large heavy spring, then a whip, which would vary in length depending what frequency it was tuned to.

That is indeed the mounting pattern for a low band 1/4 wave whip. In fact, at 8 o'clock you can see the "outie" dent from the grounding setscrew on the backing plate. There should be a circular mark from the backing plate on the inside of the fender.

Thanks all.
Now I have to look for one of those antennas. Ebay I guess.

Kevin,
I wondered why that dent was there. Please keep your eye open for a Super Chief to fit the mount that you so kindly donated to my ambulance.
Cheers,Pat

Pat,
Find a 2-way radio shop. They will fix you right up. Some of those antennas are still in use, and some cheap used ones still around.

Radio Shack still carries all the items to put one together....
I also purchased a whole set up on E-BaY FOR $20.00.......also all CB shops carry them....as do some Truck Stops.......
Good Luck !

Back