Gas Mileage

Got to thinking about this while driving home from Rochester on Saturday. I wonder what folks are getting for gas mileage in these big block V-8's?

I have a 1968 Cadillac M-M Classic 48 with a 472 engine and standard factory ignition. Burning non-oygenated high octane gasoline I got 14.77 mpg. No A/C in the car at all. Running 45 psi in Hankook radials.

Just currious where I compare with others.

Got to thinking about this while driving home from Rochester on Saturday. I wonder what folks are getting for gas mileage in these big block V-8's?

I have a 1968 Cadillac M-M Classic 48 with a 472 engine and standard factory ignition. Burning non-oygenated high octane gasoline I got 14.77 mpg. No A/C in the car at all. Running 45 psi in Hankook radials.

Just currious where I compare with others.

Wow I would say that is pretty darn good. Last time I had the Lifeliner out on a road trip I manged to just creep over 12 mpg with A/C.

Our former 1973 S&S / Medic Mark-I (that Bruce-B has now) averaged 8.3 MPG on it's very 1st trip 2,300 mile from the mid-90's Minneapolis PCS Convention to Southern CA with the A/C on the whole way. After getting it back home with some fine tuning and exhaust modifications, we were able to get 12 MPG. (*) It weighed in at just over 8,000 lbs loaded with equipment. MM

sounds good to me you sure you don't have one of those chamber of commerce calculators? 11 was the best I got out of my 72 high top this Seville is getting around 15

My 49 S&S (350 crate engine, but low geared rear end-427s), got right at 14 mpg up there and back.
My 85 Eureka Pontiac has been running around 13-14, my 85 Superior Cadillac FWD has been getting 24, and my 95 Superior Chevy gets 20.

Back