A new chapter

Time marches on, life changes. I'm downsizing from a 3000 sq. ft. house to a small apartment as a part of the "emptynester" process. It was time to let things go. I remember as a boy of 11 or so going to the library in Oklahoma City with my mother. I always made sure to check out the same non-fiction book on first aid in the fire service, (I don't remember the title). That book ignited a lifelong interest and career in public safety.

This week I gathered up all of my ambulance, firetruck/station, and police related books all in mint condition, as well as my PCS magazines. I donated them all to our new library as they had nothing of the sort. I hope some 11 year old child that I'll never know picks one up one day and finds a rewarding new purpose to his, or her, life. Yep, time marches on.

I only hope library knows what you gave them. My wife trains dogs a 91 year old good friend helps out at a large local library. We meet once a month at the antique radio club I belong to and he usually bring her a stack of dog books that were thrown out. He says they throw out "hundreds of books every month" makes you wonder. You gave it all to a good cause lets hope they know what they got.

I have sat on the boards of 3 different local/state historic preservation organizations in the past 30 years. There are always any number of folks wanting to donate items, assuming that their items will be preserved for all eternity. Most organizations have gotten to where their curatorial/donation forms state that the organization can disposed of or sell the items at the organizaion's descretion at any point in the future.

Back