Siren volume

I recently installed a Federal Interceptor in my Lifeliner and man is that thing loud. I know there is no way to control the volume of the siren but, what happens if I were to change from the CP-110 speakers to CP-25 speakers. Would this reduce the siren volume?

Richard, the Interceptor is 58 watt siren as well is the Director. Since they are both transistor driven sirens, if you tried to reduce the out-put power by placing a choke or resistor in line, you most likely blow the transistors and that’s a very expensive oops...

If you think that’s loud, you should try a PA-200, which is true 100 watt siren and mine seems to blow all others (except mechanicals) out of the water in parades and car shows.

Another way to dampen the sound is to get 2 extra re-entry cones and fill them with something like Silicone. Then when you want to runs the siren with lower volume for like a show, you would unscrew the clear tubes and screw on the dampened ones…. I have a nose cone like that on my bench for siren testing….
Good luck!

Great idea. I just know when using the siren for parades and being that close to people along the parade route, it will be too loud and take the fun out of it for all of us.

ok same question in reverse. I have a 25 watt pa 15. what happens if I use a 100 watt speaker with it. if you put a 25 watt speaker on a 100 watt driver you would damage the speaker. but if you put the 100 watt speaker on the 25 watt driver will you get that same sound as a 25 watt speaker or only a little sound as your not driving the speaker at the max? those old speakers are getting expensive to find.

Great idea. I just know when using the siren for parades and being that close to people along the parade route, it will be too loud and take the fun out of it for all of us.

Richard if the Volume is TOO Loud. Mount Your Speakers Under Your SEAT
You wont have a Problem anymore!!!

Russ

I think this thread is going in another direction. I've been told the Federal can have a volume control installed if taken to a professional electronics guy.

I think this thread is going in another direction. I've been told the Federal can have a volume control installed if taken to a professional electronics guy.

Actually You can Have an Electronics Guy/Gal Install a couple of parts and The Speakers will be Much Quieter.
I Myself Would not Recommend This if The Car is Being Used in Parades Etc

Why not Take Your Speakers off the Roof and Mount 2 Underhood Speakers
The Noise will be Away from You

Russ

Actually You can Have an Electronics Guy/Gal Install a couple of parts and The Speakers will be Much Quieter.
I Myself Would not Recommend This if The Car is Being Used in Parades Etc

Why not Take Your Speakers off the Roof and Mount 2 Underhood Speakers
The Noise will be Away from You

Russ

Then he can put the air horns back on the roof where they belong... :D

I for one have always put the siren on manual and played with it. thats more fun then just cranking it up and letting it go.

Pa-15

Ed,
The PA-15 is a 58 watt siren as is the PA-20.
John Dorgan

ok same question in reverse. I have a 25 watt pa 15. what happens if I use a 100 watt speaker with it. if you put a 25 watt speaker on a 100 watt driver you would damage the speaker. but if you put the 100 watt speaker on the 25 watt driver will you get that same sound as a 25 watt speaker or only a little sound as your not driving the speaker at the max? those old speakers are getting expensive to find.

Paul directed me to the federal site. you can down load any schematic they have on the older equipment. you just have to find the line that says obsolete or discontinued equipment specks. some useful information there. so then my 58 watt electric siren will put out full volume with a 100 watt speaker? it would stand to reasion. I sometimes think to much. then again I sometimes don't think at all.;)

I recently installed a Federal Interceptor in my Lifeliner and man is that thing loud. I know there is no way to control the volume of the siren but, what happens if I were to change from the CP-110 speakers to CP-25 speakers. Would this reduce the siren volume?

No; the Interceptor will still only put out 58 watts, with either a 58- or 100-watt speaker.

** CAUTION ** Other than newer micro processor driven sirens, the older models that use out-put transistors are very sensitive and any kind of in line resistor or choke can potentially blow the transistors which have to be a matched pair and are expensive…

I actually have a choke module that I ran in parallel with a switch that muted my speakers with a Whelen Dual Tone Siren/Light Control System for demo purposes when I was in the light/siren equipment business. It worked great, but I would NEVER attempt this with a PA-200, PA-150, PA-70, PA-20, PA-15 or similar.

Back