Light Housings

As I'm sure some of you may have read I recently acquired a 1970 51" superior ambulance. While on quest of making a list of needed parts I found something that I thought would make for an interesting topic.

Below are pictures of the PAR 46 Light housings along with the ring that attaches to the light housings. In all of my research I have not seen these on any other cars. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any that they are willing to part with? I need 3

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 188
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 179
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 182
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 184
California didn't allow a lot of the lighting options, so this was probably a work around for Superior ambulances sold in California. Kind of a rare option, and it is going to be difficult to find parts for those housings. The notches in the aluminum bezels, are for the bulbs locator bumps.

Are you in need of the ring/rings in the photo, or are you needing the chrome-plated bulb retainer rings that hold the bulbs to your ring in the photo??

then a standard split ring will over the bulb and catch the first ring in the housing. aren't the rings still available from unity

............... if it is the retainer ring that he is looking for! If it is the aluminum ring in the photo that the bulb sits in to, that might be a tall order! I do happen to know of a '70 54" ambulance with these same tunnel lights. It is not a parts car, however. I don't think they are all that rare.

Last edited:
............... if it is the retainer ring that he is looking for! If it is the aluminum ring in the photo that the bulb sits in to, that might be a tall order! I do happen to know of a '70 54" ambulance with these same tunnel lights. It is not a parts car, however. I don't think they are all that rare.

Kurt,
Not wanting to speak for John,but it IS the actual aluminum ring as pictured that he needs......I started looking for those 3 rings when I first aquired the ambulance(almost 3 years ago) without any luck .....:rolleyes:

I know that Kevin O'Connell uses an aluminum casting foundry that is located in California. Possibly he can have them casted for you, however, they will need to be filed, sanded, and polished to look like the original. They make rough castings only. It will be up to you to finish them. You can contact Kevin through the forums.

Paul

I contacted a machine shop near my business they said they could C&C them for me.

My main question was why we don't see too many of these housing with these ring.

they would not be a aluminum ring. the would be a split stainless steel ring with the cross way screw on the bottom. the housings were cast for a par36 light like a aircraft landing light only red, but man have just been a high beam red light. the bulb would have pins not screw terminals on it. it's locked in place so that no one can rotate it and it's aimed correctly. flashing red on the right steady red on the left. flashing amblers in the rear. this would meet calf. lighting requirements for Emergency lighting. remember the steady red had to shine down the road the required number of feet. 300 I believe.

these rings were made in a number of styles from flat band to 1/4 rounds your best source for them is the farm tractor crowd. they used them in work/field light and brake lights. I'm betting yours are a flat band with both side rolled one to catch the lip on the housing one to catch the flat ring around the bulb like these.

Attachments

• IMG_4786.jpg
    IMG_4786.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_4783.jpg
    IMG_4783.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 125
they would not be a aluminum ring. the would be a split stainless steel ring with the cross way screw on the bottom. the housings were cast for a par36 light like a aircraft landing light only red, but man have just been a high beam red light. the bulb would have pins not screw terminals on it. it's locked in place so that no one can rotate it and it's aimed correctly. flashing red on the right steady red on the left. flashing amblers in the rear. this would meet calf. lighting requirements for Emergency lighting. remember the steady red had to shine down the road the required number of feet. 300 I believe.

these rings were made in a number of styles from flat band to 1/4 rounds your best source for them is the farm tractor crowd. they used them in work/field light and brake lights. I'm betting yours are a flat band with both side rolled one to catch the lip on the housing one to catch the flat ring around the bulb like these.

Ed its not the Light Retention rings I need, Its the one pictured I need.

Title 13 is where the lighting requirements are for emergency vehicles. it states that every emergency shall be equipped with at least 1 steady burning forward facing red light visible from 1000 feet away.

the mount. the metal shop is your best bet. bite the bullet have them make you one more then you need.

thanks for refreshing me on the calf. law i knew it stated how many ft but could not remember 1/5th of a mile

Actually, California Vehicle Code Section 25252 spells out the requirement for a steady burning red lamp, facing forward, visible for 1,000 feet. CCR Title 13 contains more detailed standards for beam spread, color and intensity.

Back