Consensus coach builder?

559565_565993510098041_1955397533_n.jpg

524486_565993640098028_1692669492_n.jpg

This '50 Poncho has resurfaced. I remember it for being the only short wheelbase ambulance with landau irons that I have seen. Window shape doesn't appear Barnette, etched glass design doesn't appear National, landau design doesn't appear Acme, so Economy maybe?

Mr. Lichtman deserves a cigar for correctly identifying this rare and odd vehicle. It is indeed a Barnette. More accurately, it is a 1950 Barnette-Pontiac Series 200 "Utility" car.....or so says Tom McPherson from whom I received this information. According to Tom, a Barnette price list he has in his files dated December 12, 1950, shows a Barnette-Pontiac Series 200 Utility car listed for $2,749. He sent the Barnette spec and equipment sheet for these cars which I have attached below:

BARNETTE-PONTIAC 8 “200” UTILITY

Powered with the new 118 HP Pontiac Engine 120 inch wheelbase
All-Steel Utility Medicine Cabinet
Armstrong Standard Gauge Inlaid Linoleum Floor Safety Glass throughout
Rear quarter Windows Frosted Emblem of cross (Safety Glass)
Rear quarter Windows Lower 7.5 inches for Proper Ventilation Rear of Body
Dome Light Rear of Body
Roller Shades
One Deluxe Attendant Seat Folding Down in Floor Chrome Mouldings
Adjustable Cot Fastener (Washington)
New Modern Federal WLR Roof Siren Flashing Red Light, Front and Rear Completely Trimmed in DuPont Leatherette
Standard Painting :Black (any other standard color at extra cost)

Extras if Desired
Washington-Klever Cot
Air Foam Mattress with Close Fitting Waterproof cover Cotton Mattress
Federal Beacon Ray Light Removable Casket Table
Painting, any color other than Black
(DuPont Lacquer Number to be Supplied)

Dimensions

82" at Floor Line Behind Driver 73" at 13" Height Behind Driver
86" Length at Floor Level on Right Hand Side with Front Seat Reversed,
providing Ample Room for 6'6" casket )
19" Clearance from Top of Mattress to Top of Rear Door When Loading cot Rear Door Opening approximately 34" x 34"

THE MANUFACTURER RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE SPECIFIOATIONS OR EQUIPMENT AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE

Tom also told me that he has factory photos - interior and exterior - of this style of Barnette car in his files. Hope that this helps. It certainly clears up who is responsible for this particilar sedan delivery conversion.

defiantly a barrette looking window etching. is there a set of holes for the name plate. I don't have any pictures of a 5o so it's a guess. but here for comparison is a 51 in it's original condition John R's car when the picture was taken. notice there is a small difference in the glass etching and in 51 the scrip is above the molding in the door 49 the same. the 49 and 51 I have pictures of all have the left hinge rear door.

Attachments

• 1951 Barnett Pontiac 1.jpg
    1951 Barnett Pontiac 1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 405
here is a example of why you can't Id one with just the glass. also why it vary difficult to do it from a picture as Tom will tell you. there were so many small and large operations doing these as they were a quick easy conversion. the Amrbruster Co was the last one added to my list. with the Barbette, Acme Economy, Meteor had one though Economy built it, we still don't as of yet know if they looked like a Economy or not. we can't forget the John J Little's or National contribution. but at a glance yes but father comparison says maybe not.

Attachments

• 1950s.jpg
    1950s.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 427
I got a kick out of the standard and extras list that "any other color than BLACK was extra".... sounds kind of like a carry over from the Henry Ford Model-T Days?

Mike....and for some reason it didn't come out on the listing but, Barnette charged an extra $50 to paint the car any other color than black. That's almost on a par with Earl Scheib! They must have been painting only the additional parts installed or those affected by the conversion.

Barnette as with the rest would do any car you sent down. including the stretch. but if Tom has any pictures of the inside I would like to see them. near as I can tell they put the gurney in the right and the attendants seat behind the driver . reversing the passengers seat or making it removable. as that was the only way to get a gurney in and close the door on the short wheel base. but as the glass etching doesn't match Barnette I'm still out on the builder on this one. also one can't see any evidence of the script on either door

Thank you, Keith, though I don't smoke cigars!

As Keith mentioned, Tom provided some interesting information, and a few photos. Here's what he mentioned in an e-mail to me:
" In fact, it is a 1950 Barnette-Pontiac Series 200 "Utility Car". Barnette produced three Series in 1950 on both the Pontiac and Chevrolet chassis. These were, naturally, conversions of the Chev or Pontiac sedan deliveries. As I said, they were available in three series - 600, 400 and 200. The 600 Series Pontiacs had a wheelbase of 156-inches while the Chevrolets in that series had a 151-inch wheelbase. The 400 Series Pontiacs had a wheelbase of 144-inches and the Chevrolets a wheelbase of 139-inches. In the 200 Series the Pontiac wheelbase was 120-inches and that of the Chev 115-inches. A 200 Series Pontiac Utility Car in standard configuration listed for $2,749 while a Chevrolet version went for $2,545."

Ed, I'm not sure what you are comparing in your two photos, it looks like you have a Barnette and a Barnette. Indeed, I wonder if the white over red LWB ambulance in your photo might actually BE the one in the ad I posted. A lot of similarities, accouting for the ravages of time...

Annnnnd, here are the Barnette factory photos that confirm this car's identity as a Barnette 200 (reduced in size from Tom's huge scans).

Attachments

• 50Barnette1b.jpg
    50Barnette1b.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 50Barnette3c.jpg
    50Barnette3c.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Back