shocks arrived today!

John Royark JR

PCS Member
The rebuilt front and rear shocks for my 49 S&S arrived today!! They are the lever/knee action style and are huge and heavy. On the front, the shock and upper control arm are all one integrated piece.
They look great, now to get them to the shop (next week) and put on, maybe it will ride like a Cadillac instead of an old farm truck.
The rubber bushings in the box are not for the shocks, they are new stabilizer bar bushings from another vendor. Also, not shown are new shock links from yet another vendor.
DSCF2768.jpg

Interesting how those worked.

Very interesting, but reliable. . They will last about forever. I should never have to do anything with them again. I will post all the vendors after instillation to make sure I am happy with the products before recommending them.
1949 was the last year Cadillac used these. In 50 they went to the tube style that has been common since
Here are a few pics of the old shocks in place to show how they are attached.

0 shock 1.jpg

0 shock 3.jpg

1949 S&S Knickerbocker combo 57.jpg

Update

Front shocks are done, rear stabalizer bushings are done, minor issue with the rear shocks, the cylinder part was the correct number, but the arm was not right, way off.
The company that I got them from was very helpful and told me that when I send the cores back, he will rebuild the rears that came off my car so we know they will be right, at no extra cost! So the project will not be completed for a few more weeks. So far I am impressed with the shock rebuilding company and their service on the phone.
The little I drove it (with no rears on the car) I can feel a huge ride and handeling difference, but of course will not know the final outcome until the rears are installed.

In my first post I mentioned them being very heavy. i sent the cores back today, 2 fronts and 4 rears. Weighed in at 73.75 pounds.

Good for you, John! It's always wonderful to see when others are investing in making their cars run better or more reliably. I'll certainly be watching to see the final detailed report of changes in the car's handling, as my '39 LaSalle has the same shocks, and I don't know for sure if they warrant replacing, or rebuilding, or not. Tom

Attachments

• DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 255
Good for you, John! It's always wonderful to see when others are investing in making their cars run better or more reliably. I'll certainly be watching to see the final detailed report of changes in the car's handling, as my '39 LaSalle has the same shocks, and I don't know for sure if they warrant replacing, or rebuilding, or not. Tom

Do yours still hold fluid? Mine did, for about 10 miles. Keep in mind they will not have to be done again for another 50+ years, and they are not getting any cheaper to have rebuilt.

Front shocks are done, rear stabalizer bushings are done, minor issue with the rear shocks, the cylinder part was the correct number, but the arm was not right, way off.
The company that I got them from was very helpful and told me that when I send the cores back, he will rebuild the rears that came off my car so we know they will be right, at no extra cost! So the project will not be completed for a few more weeks. So far I am impressed with the shock rebuilding company and their service on the phone.
The little I drove it (with no rears on the car) I can feel a huge ride and handeling difference, but of course will not know the final outcome until the rears are installed.

In my first post I mentioned them being very heavy. i sent the cores back today, 2 fronts and 4 rears. Weighed in at 73.75 pounds.

Sorry it so long to reply, I totally forgot about it.
Anyway, the minor issue with the rear was corrected (he rebuilt the actual shocks I sent back as a core) and they were back to me in a little over a week, and it was on the road a couple hours later. It really made a difference in the way it rides.
The name is Five Points classic auto shocks.
www.classicautoshocks.com
They do many styles of classic shocks, Im sure they can help out with your needs.
While at it I had the rear stabilizer bar bushings replaced. Bushings were from USA Parts Supply, the sticker under theirs was Steele Rubber, but were cheaper through USA Parts Supply.
I also put new shock links on, they came from Caddy Daddy.

Back