Restoring Trim Pieces

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
I am slowly re-chroming some of the moldings and trim parts that are pitted. Because of the work involve from the chroming shop, the cost is quite high.

I have contacted one of the local machine shop to see if they could use their CNC machine to reproduce the more simple parts such as the "neelde" trim pieces that Superior used to install either on the side above the windows or on the D post of their ambulances.

If they can do it, once I get a price I could have some extra pieces done if anyone is interested.

I'll let you know.

picture.php

picture.php

those teardrop castings were used on a number years. vary hard to find a good one.

I measured the ones off my 69 to compare them to the ones off the 67, and to my surprise (not) they are not the same lenght!!

Having said that, ias long as the difference is not too much, t would be hard to know that the casting in not the correct one.

I would think they would all be thesame. they were kind of a superior trademark for a lot of years. the 63 has them on it. the hard part to do would be the mount. but one could drill and tap them were the studs go to mount them threw the holes in the body.

I would think they would all be thesame. they were kind of a superior trademark for a lot of years. the 63 has them on it. the hard part to do would be the mount. but one could drill and tap them were the studs go to mount them threw the holes in the body.

I was thinking 2 sided tape.....

I would think that it would be better to have them casted in brass, and then have them polished and plated. That way, they would last without pitting. It might be a little more expensive, but it would be the way to go if you intend to keep the car for any length of time. They could also be drilled and threaded, which would make for a permanent mounting.

there a pretty big piece and heavy. the double edge tape will hold but only so long. you'll find you losing them when you wash the car. same with gluing them on with the 3M glue it holds for a year then it falls off. I would drill and tap then you can put in studs or just a machine screw and they are on and sealed up for good. one could do it before they were cut out or make a form out of wood you could lay it into with the distance off the holes lined out. then all you need is access to a drill press and you can bore them in a hurry and tape by hand. one more advantage is they will go back in the same holes and always be spaced correct. it's something to discuss with the man your having make them. to get the pot replated it's running around 100 bucks each for me.

Back