wire identification help needed..

Dana Bennett

PCS Life Member
As of yet I do not own a 1976 Cadillac Shop manual, although I would certainly like to get one!!!

What I need help with now is identifying some wires and their function.

First is the three wires for the Air Conditioning thermal fuse.
there is a green wire, a black wire and a white wire.

The problem is that at some point before I owned the car the plug end was cut off and replaced with one that had all black wires, (there is also charring in this area) shortly after I got the car someone who was trying to help me removed the replacement plug and taped up the wire. I now want to repair this but do not know which wire goes to what terminal on the fuse!! I am sure it must matter right??!!

Next is the plug for the electric antena , there are four wires.
one black wire and one green wire, neither have power nor are they grounds, and a white wire with black strip that has continuous power and a red wire that has power when the dash switch is pushed to the "DOWN" position.

nothing wrong with this plug, would just like to understand the wires and their function. I think the power antena itself is shot, might get another one if I can get it for a reasonable price (reasonable me ME that is).

ok, well any help will be appreciated!

Thanks!
Dana Bennett.

normily in any automotive wirening ground is black. you can switch rather the power or the ground to get the thing you want to power to work. in your case the best way to determin what is what or not is to go look at another one. this is what junk yards are for. some one gets to cliping and splicing you really have a head scracher to understand what they did and were they went wrong.

The black wire needs to be in the middle. the other two on the sides it does not matter.

The power antenna system is fully automatic. When you turn the radio on, it puts power to the relay at the edge of the carpet on the passenger side. if the switch is in the up position the antenna will go all the way up. if it is in the middle position it will rise about 12 inches. if the car or radio is shut off it will go down.

The wires are
Light green Auto feed from relay
black up
red manual feed from switch
white down

Back