Speedometer Cable

Josh Gentry

PCS Member
On my 67 M-M, the geers on the end of the speedometer cable are making a roring sound when you drive it. I have ben told theres no way to fix it without replacing it, but I've also ben told you can stop it. So, my question is, is there a way to stop it? Its not really a big deel, but on a long trip it can kinda get on your nervs.:confused:

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Josh

Josh mine is doing the same thing on my 63, but it stops making the noise when the car runs for a while. The speedometer doesn't work but the odometer does. It is on my list to fix, but I think I either need a rebuild or a new speedometer. Mine has been broken since I bought the car.

speedo cable fix

Josh,
Once they start making noise you either change them or disconnect them. If the gears are worn you might try to find a new gear. I am sure you will get more advice from the members of this forum.
Mike
61 M-M

If it is the speedometer head that is making the noise, then the only solution is to take it out and have it repaired, if parts are available. If not, then finding a replacement speedometer is the only other choice. Turning the odometer to match the mileage of your original is a tricky thing to do, and I don't recommend doing it. I learned how to do this back in the 1960's when I worked in a shop that repaired wrecks. Just not certain that my hands are steady enough to do it without making a mistake at this point in my life, but will try if you find one that needs to be reset.

some times it will work if you take the head out and put a little oil on the end,
there is a brass bushing that the whirling magnet goes around on and that is were the noise comes from. if it dry it might work if it's worn out most likely not. as it quits when you run it for a bit then I would say it dry and the heat build up in it enough to melt some old grease and lube it. it would be worth a try on it. beside you need to clean the dust out of it any way and change those bulbs that are burnt out. spend the weekend and tear it apart.

The speedometer works, its off just a little but it works. And no matter how long you drive it the noise doesn't stop. wen I bought the car I thought it was the tires making the noise, but after a while on the road figured out thats not what it was. Its kinda like having a small quiet siren up under the hood, kinda anoying.

Josh

up under the hood??? you got a gear box on the inner fender that the cables run to. if so take it apart and but some gear lube in it. the 253 tires will put it off about 5 mph

Funny you mention this. On my Lifeliner I have a whining noise once in a while when driving it. Can't quite figure out what is happening or where it is coming from. I greased the speedometer cable so if turns nicely. The whine will begin, get loud, then stop! I guess I could drive it until it makes the noise, stop and unscrew the cable, then drive again to see if it happens again. If the noise doesn't return then I know it's the speedometer itself.

The speedometer works, its off just a little but it works. And no matter how long you drive it the noise doesn't stop. wen I bought the car I thought it was the tires making the noise, but after a while on the road figured out thats not what it was. Its kinda like having a small quiet siren up under the hood, kinda anoying.

Josh

Unhook the speedo and use your GPS to monitor your speed. Problem solved!:clap:

unhook?

Unhooking speedos and other parts is good to check them out. Using a GPS will work for the speed but will not ad the miles to your odometer. That may be a good thing if you want to keep the miles low. I use a GPS to monitor my speed against the speedometer. At least until I get used to the speed the new tires show. Using the unhook theory if the lights go out just unhook them and tape some flashlights to the fenders. Then when...well you get the idea.
Mike

If it is the speedometer head that is making the noise, then the only solution is to take it out and have it repaired, if parts are available. If not, then finding a replacement speedometer is the only other choice. Turning the odometer to match the mileage of your original is a tricky thing to do, and I don't recommend doing it. I learned how to do this back in the 1960's when I worked in a shop that repaired wrecks. Just not certain that my hands are steady enough to do it without making a mistake at this point in my life, but will try if you find one that needs to be reset.

As Paul said , a lot of times a repair is needed. Here is a shop I use they did the 61 speedo and it came out great.

Speaking of speedodomters , I know the CC cars are the same from 59-62 is 63 and 64 the same or did they change in 63 and 64? Here is a pic of the 62 for reference

the same?

I know the windshields are the same through 64 on the commercial cars. I don't know about the dashes for the 63 and 64 models. A Cadillac dealer told me several years ago to make sure I ordered parts with the cc tag or stamp as some of the parts from the 'normal' cars look the same but are not. He did not mention the 63 and 64s at that time so I would guess they are different other than the glass. I read in one forum that the wheels were the same from 59 through 67. Later I was told by a coach dealer that the interchange for wheels was only to 65. So maybe we just have to make sure what we are working on and looking for when chasing parts.
Mike
61 M-M

Josh, that noise drove me nuts too! It sounds just like something rubbing on the tread of a tire. It goes right along with the speed of the car and is annoying as heck! I had that coach up in the air & thought for sure there was something rubbing on a tire, but found nothing. Keep us posted on what you find Josh, i'd like to know for future reference too.

you check the carrier bearing on the drive shaft? normally if the speedometer is having trouble it will cause the needle to swing wildly and the problem will come and go. a steady noise that rises and falls with the car speed sounds to me like a drive line problem

you check the carrier bearing on the drive shaft? normally if the speedometer is having trouble it will cause the needle to swing wildly and the problem will come and go. a steady noise that rises and falls with the car speed sounds to me like a drive line problem

Fo me, the noise comes then it goes and surprisingly, it doesn't happen everytime. My carrier bearing has already been replaced so pretty confident that is not the problem.

just like I said on a speedometer. I think Josh has a different problem. the carrier bearing would be just under the seat .

just like I said on a speedometer. I think Josh has a different problem. the carrier bearing would be just under the seat .
I'm pretty sure its not the carrier bering, the noise is deffinetly coming from under the hood not the seat. I'm going to try to check it out when I get a chance this weekend. Thanks Ed, and all you guys for all your help.

Josh

Here is a photo of my speedometer when the car arrived, it has since been cleaned up.

Attachments

• graduation to ambulance 071.jpg
    graduation to ambulance 071.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 77
Funny, much warmer today in the mid 70's and I cannot for the life of me get my Lifeliner to make that noise. Guess I'll have to wait until winter. :stars:

Back