How many Criterion's are left...

having worked on both of them all I can say it there just another high top. :rolleyes: the problem with them was upper management never got sold on the Ida and they wee started to late to establish a notch in the market. I don't believe the less then 50 number though. less then 50 a year maybe or that capital city fleet photo shows 1/10 of the production run.

I actually checked my M-M book by Tom McPherson to see if it would show Criterion production numbers, but unfortunately it didn't at all.

Like windows too

I have to agree with Mike. Having worked in both, I much preferred windows all around. And our Lifeliner had generous, well organized cabinetry up front.

Superiors version of the Criterion was the 54XL. There may be even less of them left.

I have no idea what the production numbers were for the Superior 54XL, but it seems like they may have been even more rare than the M-M Criterion.

Superior introduced "Criterion styling" for their all new and completely redesigned Cadillac products in 1957, and in fact they referred to all their Pontiacs as "Criterions" in 1959 (i.e. the 1959 Superior Pontiac Criterion ambulance, 1959 Superior Pontiac Criterion Landaulet combination car). This does make it a little confusing, since M-M picked the same name for their Criterion ambulance in 1973.

that name was used by superior on one of there Hearses it has been attached to a number of cars. but the one we are talking about here was built as a ambulance by MM a division of the Indian head corp. I believe they used that name on a Hearse in the 60 also

This proves once & for all that Ed is out of his mind!

"The Criterion is just another high-top?" Ed, after everything you and I have been through? It's just another high-top?

Ed's sniffing glue.

He didn't mean that.

I do see that the ambulance sign he is working on that Criterion does not meet his exacting specifications, however. I guess there was a flaw in the design that caused the inside of that inner lower lip to be too low to accommodate that wacky rubber ZipLoc seal that is to be installed. I had about half-dozen professionals try to install it before Ed radioed in instructions to slice off some of the rubber along the bottom to get it to seat right. We did exactly what he said and it fit better than factory, I would say. This was AFTER we filled the screw holes that had been up there to hold in the hokey sign that had been held in place with screws. Metal that bubbles up, turns brown and flakes off is called water damage if you need to have a rust-free rig, as I do. I had some of that water damage because of that non-existent seal. You don't want to see the before and after photos of that restoration work we did. Far too painful an experience to share or even admit that I was involved in. But, Ed, you were there with me six times a day via phone for a couple of weeks as I was whining via long distance of the pain, expense, turmoil, heartache and melancholy I suffered putting things back together. Just another High-Top? I might drive my Criterion all the way out to whichever Dakota you are holed up in so that I can wake the dead in your neighborhood with the Super-Chief you still haven't hooked up for me. [Note: 1. That's not Mookie pictured. 2. And that's not my Super Chief pictured. Mine still is not hooked up. But it looks cool. You all should buy one because they look cool.]

Attachments

• Miller Meteor 003.jpg
    Miller Meteor 003.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 168
  • Miller Meteor 041.jpg
    Miller Meteor 041.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 164
  • Miller Meteor 005.jpg
    Miller Meteor 005.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 169
  • CIMG1642.jpg
    CIMG1642.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 166
  • CIMG1646.jpg
    CIMG1646.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 165
  • ambulance at gaylord enter 017 (2).jpg
    ambulance at gaylord enter 017 (2).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Miller Meteor 103.jpg
    Miller Meteor 103.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 594.jpg
    594.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 166
The problem with any production car is the varabuls that can happen in construction. The light housing that Mm put in this unit was about a 1/2 inch to high. When they welded it in.so that to install the grommet on the lower did you had to trim that much off from it. I could never under stand how the R and R boys could not just look and see why the grommet would not seat on the lip. Guess none of them ever lived a hundred miles from town. You do that for a few years you learn how to make do.

The thing I liked about the car was there is less windows to tape off.

Chris,the OUTSIDE looks GREAT but,
since you are just "another high top owner " like me,have you ever gotten that thing "equipped" inside, since that last time we met ???:rolleyes: ;):cool:

Found this in with all the ambulance stuff. Might be one? I,am sure someone can decode it.Thanks

Attachments

• 20200119_160723_resized (1).jpg
    20200119_160723_resized (1).jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 199
1st line is Cadillac Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
2nd line is the Miller Meteor Production Number
3rd line is the top paint name and number = Cotillion White
4th line is the middle paint name and number = Omaha Orange
5th line is the lower paint name and number = Cotillion White

Now, if we could get a picture and VIN of every Criterion that has passed through the hands of the PCS membership, we could build a good data base and get a better idea of how many actually survived.

Attachments

• 20200119_160723_resized%20(1).jpg
    20200119_160723_resized%20(1).jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 172
Back