so what is it?

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
we are cleaning up things on the firewall. discovered this vacuum device was frozen. got it freed up and working but can't find the function for it. it kicks the throttle open a crack when it doesn't have vacuum. with vacuum it lets the throttle fall all the way closed. near as I can guess it's a anti dieseling device. anyone got any Idea on it?

Attachments

• IMG_6901.jpg
    IMG_6901.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_6902.jpg
    IMG_6902.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_6903.jpg
    IMG_6903.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 237
Without doing some research, it is either a anti dieseling solenoid, or it is a kick up solenoid for when you engage the air conditioning. My Corvair has the same thing, and when you engage the air conditioning compressor, it electrically energizes a coil to kick up the idle speed. It also has a vacuum port on it, however, I believe that is only energized at curb idle speed.

this one is hooked to direct vacuum. with a T into the line to the wipers. as soon as the car would start it would retract letting the throttle fall back to normal idle. engine off will advance cracking the throttle back open. I'm just wounder if it was the cause of the hard start. I can't get the carb to fall on the fast idle cam. this would hold up up just enough to do that. but right now we are torn apart enough that starting it is a ways away. with the plentumes on the firewall it's so hidden one can't even see it. but at least I know now it will work whatever it does.

Throttle Check Valve (Dash Pot)

Basically keeps the throttle from snapping shut stalling the engine on decel. Best tool you can have is a shop manual and parts manual if you can get it for the particular vehicle you are working on.

Attachments

• 35-16.jpg
    35-16.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 133
  • 35-17.jpg
    35-17.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 35-18.jpg
    35-18.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 137
we have one of them but it's one of the reprinted ones. nothing about this could be found in it. but the only thing that fits is the throttle check valve.. this one works as they describe it.

Last edited:
got things back together enough today to get it started and backed out. the
valve even works as it should. sometimes there are wonders to behold.

Attachments

• IMG_6930a.jpg
    IMG_6930a.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6933.jpg
    IMG_6933.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 83
Back