Pro-car transport?

I have been having a surprising amount of trouble finding reasonable transport for a '68 Superior high-top from Seattle to Pittsburgh. I had a broker and everything was set, but now the transporter has backed out claiming it is too large, despite having made sure they had all the dimensions. Has anyone used a good service that was a decent price?

I have been having a surprising amount of trouble finding reasonable transport for a '68 Superior high-top from Seattle to Pittsburgh. I had a broker and everything was set, but now the transporter has backed out claiming it is too large, despite having made sure they had all the dimensions. Has anyone used a good service that was a decent price?

Sancrest in Billings, Mo. They deliver alot of the new hearses and limo's so they are used to the bigger cars.

I just had my '59 Comet Oldsmobile hearse delivered on Monday from Oregon to Arizona. The guy I used came recommended on this site by Atilla last year, and I was very happy with his service. He says he has hauled a lot of hearses over the years, and has transported cars to every State in the continental US except Maine. He is a one-man operation, based out of Denver, and has a 20 foot open trailer towed by a Ford cargo van. His rate is 75 cents per mile, which I believe is very reasonable in this business. His name is Martin, and he can be reached at 720 280-1010.

Terry

transport

I just used SanCrest last year to get my 61 M-M home from Georgia. That was a 550 miles trip. The price was very reasonable compared to the other quotes I had gotten. The driver struck me as a person who wanted to do a good job for his customers. he did spend about an hour asking questions about what would make a person want a hearse. He was also interested in finding out more about the car. I would not hesitate to call them again if I needed their services.
Mike

I called Sancrest and they passed the haul out to Rebel Yell Transport out of TX. He happened to be in Iowa and my car was close by in Nebraska.

The guy was real good and nice. He ended up telling me this had to have been the most attention he has had in a very long time hauling my 60 S/S hearse.
He said every stop for food or gas had someone asking questions.
He also hung out with me for 2 hours after talking about cars and hauls he has done.

His biggest nightmares are picking up EBAY cars. They look great in photos but are often rust buckets with rotted out frames !

Rebel Yell - Kathy - 972-264-3977
James is her husband who drives their hauler. Very nice truck and 8 car trailer ! Peterbuilt The truck and trailer is 70' long !!! Way over the max but there is a loop hole in the measuring laws.

NOTE !!!

ALL TRUCKING COMPANIES WILL TAKE THE ORDER !
BUT WILL OFTEN PASS OFF THE WORK TO WHOEVER IS CLOSES TO THE PICK-UP LOCATION WITH ROOM TO GET A CAR !
THAT WAY THEY GET THEIR KICK-BACK FEE FOR THE ORDER.

WHO YOU CALL MAY NOT DELIVER YOUR CAR !

ALSO, IT MAY BE PICKED UP BY ONE TRANSPORT COMPANY AND BE DELIVERED TO A HOLDING AREA WHERE ANOTHER TRANSPORT COMPANY WILL PICK IT UP AND DELIVER IT !

ALL THIS IS JUST TO MAKE YOU AWARE OF THE REALITY OF IT ALL !
NOT TO SCARE YOU !

I have had good luck once and bad luck once with a car shipment.

Rebel Yell did a great job with my 60 from Nebraska on an open carrier !

I forgot the guys name who moved my 62 from Washington State in a enclosed trailer.
Both sides of the car between the doors rubbed on the inner aluminum fender wells of the trailer wheels and marked both sides.

I didn't notice the damage until later but I do know why he wanted the money up front before unloading the car. He knew it was damaged.

When I spoke to the guy I got the car from after it arrived, I told him about the rubbing and he said the driver told him it wouldn't rub and would be OK. The guy I bought the car from said it looked to tight when it was loaded and that's why he mentioned it.

I haven't fixed it yet and there is still some aluminum on both sides of the car where it rubbed the inner trailer fender skirts.

Oh well, live and learn.

Just giving my experiences so others are aware of possibilities of having a car shipped.

Hope it helps,
Darren

My last haul in June 2011 was about a 1.00 a mile.

Sancrest is likely the most used and recommended.

The rate for .75 a mile is likely the cheapest you will find.

Let us know how it goes and the price you paid.

An easy way to find out how far it is between the pick up and drop off locations is to google map the two addresses.
Super easy and incredibility fast !

One more thing...
THIS ALL DEPENDS ON HOW FAST YOU WANT THE CAR TOO !

Best of luck,
Darren

www.ezautoshippers.com. They beat SanCrest by almost $100. Speak to Steve. $700 from WI to NC, even after I changed the deliver-to address, which was farther than the initial address.

Steve said some folks charge your credit card as soon as you give them the card number, then charge a fee if you back out of the deal. He said they don't do that, and that they don't charge the card until the vehicle is delivered. He stayed in contact with me all along the way of transport.

It is looking like if you're only shopping based on a decent price, open transport and $.75 will be the cheapest available.

I paid FedEx Custom Critical $1.01 per mile for enclosed transport from California to Michigan. I should mention here that Hagerty policy holders get a 10% discount. (I did not know that at the time so the $1.01 may have been lower.) The car was picked up three days after I ordered the service and was delivered to me 10 days later. I received several emails and telephone calls from the date of hire to the day of delivery updating me on progress / location.

Everyone has different experiences with even the same company so I hesitate to "recommend" someone. I will say that if I ever need auto transport again, I will not hesitate to hire FedEx.

Attachments

• 03-29-2010-a.jpg
    03-29-2010-a.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 341
I've had great experiences with Executive Auto Shippers, I found them via uship.com I paid for open transport and they showed up with an enclosed trailer from Cali to Ohio. Very reasonable prices and extremely easy to deal with!

One to avoid...

you DO NOT want to use Intercity Lines to transport your pro car.....Steinberg & I Had an AWFUL experience with them!

I have had the best luck with looking for local trucking companies that do long haul. One company manufactures boats and has it's own trucks. They deliver boats on flat bed trailers across the US and the trucks return to the area empty. I simply call them and ask if they will have a truck in the area of the car. Would they be willing to haul it back for me. They are usually more than willing because it helps pay for the fuel to drive back. The drivers really take extra care of my cars becuase they are also local guys. When I have tried actual auto transport companies, I have never been as happy.
:myopinion:

Pro Car Transport

I just contracted with Sancrest to make a Texas-California move on an open transporter. I haven't received the car yet, but it worked out to $.88/mile, which was comparable or slightly higher than three other quotes that I got. I chose them because of their experience hauling large, heavy vehicles. I have had other deliveries in the past that, based on their equipment and experience level, would have had difficulty with an ambulance. They also let me pay in advance with a credit card (2.5% added fee), as I will be gone at the time of delivery and didn't want my mechanic, who will be receiving the car, dealing with paying the driver.

I sure liked that enclosed Fed Ex carrier with the 10% Haggerty discount- that's a good thing to remember for the next time.

P.S.- How do you leave "Thanks" for a post?

I just contracted with Sancrest to make a Texas-California move on an open transporter. I haven't received the car yet, but it worked out to $.88/mile, which was comparable or slightly higher than three other quotes that I got. I chose them because of their experience hauling large, heavy vehicles. I have had other deliveries in the past that, based on their equipment and experience level, would have had difficulty with an ambulance. They also let me pay in advance with a credit card (2.5% added fee), as I will be gone at the time of delivery and didn't want my mechanic, who will be receiving the car, dealing with paying the driver.

I sure liked that enclosed Fed Ex carrier with the 10% Haggerty discount- that's a good thing to remember for the next time.

P.S.- How do you leave "Thanks" for a post?

I wonder if they are actually using their own truck as they only have two or three I believe. We started out using them all the time but 99% of the time they brokered it to another company. I soon figured out we could do our own brokering just as easy and have control over who we shipped with.

Back