Superior Ambulance Hightop Sign Question

James Fischer

PCS Member
Could someone PLEASE shed some "light" on the backlit signs on the outside.
I took the front sign off the 72 this morning after noticing water draining down the windshield (ambulance was washed yesterday)....
After I unscrewed the chrome trim I saw that there was NO gasket of any kind installed.....the plastic "Ambulance" sign is newer ..so at some point I know it was installed.....but WITHOUT a gasket ... There was some duct tape that was used as a gasket.....
My question is..what should I use to make a new gasket ?,silicone ?,or ??
Any suggestions will be kindly appreciated !! :893USA-Smilie-thumb

The best way to make a gasket is to get a sheet of rubber roofing material, and cut out a gasket using the metal trim that holds the sign in. I would make one for each side of the plastic, and possible double the gasket if you need more of a cushion. Use rubber cement to hold the gasket in place, and make sure that you punch holes in the gasket for the screws to go through.

The best way to make a gasket is to get a sheet of rubber roofing material, and cut out a gasket using the metal trim that holds the sign in. I would make one for each side of the plastic, and possible double the gasket if you need more of a cushion. Use rubber cement to hold the gasket in place, and make sure that you punch holes in the gasket for the screws to go through.

Paul,
Is the rubber roofing material something I can get at Home Depot or Ace ??
Although sometimes I dont think HD carries everything like an "Old School" hardware store......thank you !!:smiley3:

It is a commercial product for commercial roofing contractors. Get me some measurements, and I will cut you a hunk the size you need. You cut this with a scissor... Paul

Paul,
Is the rubber roofing material something I can get at Home Depot or Ace ??
Although sometimes I dont think HD carries everything like an "Old School" hardware store......thank you !!:smiley3:

I think you answered your own question. Go to a REAL hardware or contractors supply store, find the oldest guy there and ask him. You will usually get six different ways to accomplish the job!:specool:

It is a commercial product for commercial roofing contractors. Get me some measurements, and I will cut you a hunk the size you need. You cut this with a scissor... Paul

That kind of attitude and action right there is one of the main reasons that I like this site and the people on it. I'm proud to be a member of the PCS. :thumb:

the problem with something like silicone is if you have to get back in to change the bulbs the risk of braking the sign cutting it back out is fairly high. remember you need one on boths side of the plexaglass to get a good seal. or does the sign go into a recess and the gasget between the ring and the housing over the seal? I never had one of them apart

blown gasket

the correct stuff to put on the sighns comes in a roll and anybody who has had a shop for more than 40 years will have it,but wait thats really hard to find,so i just happen to know a guy who knows a guy and some fell off a truck and i can get it (JUST KIDDEN) my friend mike has an interior shop great guy, very very busy,so if you call him and tell him i gave you his # he might just give it to you so please dont take it for free it is impossible to get,i would offer to give him at least $20.00 for a role he is in business to feed his family,and his wife can 2 day envelope to you please pay for shipping it cannot be found any where very very valuable.also does great interior,fair prices only in daytona beach area. His name is mike and his wife is anastasia phone #(386) 589-8660

That kind of attitude and action right there is one of the main reasons that I like this site and the people on it. I'm proud to be a member of the PCS. :thumb:

I could NOT agree with you more Bruce !!!

It really restores my faith in people,......their generosity,....their kindness,caring....and of course their unequivocal knowlege.....and I am PROUD to be a member here also !!..........:applause:

Back