New project awaits its turn...

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
Had to have another project lined up for after the 1970 Cotner/Bevington-Oldsmobile "Cotington 48." It's a 1963 Christopher-GMC RES-Q Rescue/Ambulance/Squad Car. As far as I can tell, looks like maybe 1 other of this manufacturer of Carryall's exists(ed), on 1963 Chevy chassis formerly owned by Lloyd Ray. http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11470 A very unusual manufacturer with mysterious history. http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/c/christopher/christopher.htm

The vehicle was sold by Norfolk and became a utility vehicle for the nearby Concord, NE Fire Dept. They sold it in the late 2000s. After exchanging hands several times between private interests, the vehicle was purchased by a PCS Member who initiated a restoration but was unable to complete it. The vehicle sat for the last 3 years in a retired chicken coop wrapped in plastic (pictured here), until we purchased it. Our plan is to bring it back to the way it was in the 1963 photo, equipment and all. It now rests inside enclosed/covered awaiting its turn. We've been in touch with the Norfolk FD and the Nebraska Fire Museum, who are interested in displaying it up there at some point. They were kind enough to send some additional photos of the ambulance - plus a newspaper story you can see below! It's amazing to think of the lives our vehicles touched when in active service...

Mechanically, it's doing well. The exterior was cleaned, sandblasted, and primed. There is no rust I could find. While it appears we're almost to the point it could be just painted - I suspect we may wish to be more aggressive with it. As one can see from our ongoing C/B project - I am no fan of corrosion. :D I'm very excited about this carryall - it's surely different from our other two car-based ambulances and a "secret project." I also love the red cross on the side. Despite my ill-conceived notions prior to getting into the hobby - it appears very rare even in the old days before an upset ARC ended the idea of the Omaha Orange cross. Also, turns out the unusual "Emergency - Rescue" text is simply stolen from Christopher advertising. (Ad attached) My only disappointment is that Norfolk didn't pony up for the 4-in-1 FAPA that also had a reel line and water tank for firefighting.

One key point is the equipment complement with the vehicle in the below photo. I'm having a hard time identifying a few of the items. The type/brand of generator eludes me at the moment. I have a bigger/higher-res photo from the Museum I can supply if anyone's got a knack for identifying old rescue gear. :)

One more question for the hive mind - is that a Model 30 cot or just a single-level Model 21 cot? It's hard for me to tell if the raising X-frame is present from either the news story or the layout. It looks like it has the upper "pegs" from the Model 30, as there aren't perfectly centered upright extensions on top of the wheels (that the Model 21 would have) in the news photo. Anyone got any good ideas on that? http://www.emsmuseum.org/virtual-museum/equipment/articles/398495-Ambulance-Cots-Yesterday-to-Today

Attachments

• 2015-04-02 18.09.58.jpg
    2015-04-02 18.09.58.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 649
  • 2015-04-02 18.09.55.jpg
    2015-04-02 18.09.55.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 676
  • 1963GMCNorfolkNE.jpg
    1963GMCNorfolkNE.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 653
  • 2015022395112545.jpg
    2015022395112545.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 662
  • RESQ1962Ad.jpg
    RESQ1962Ad.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 669
  • RESQ1962Ad1.jpg
    RESQ1962Ad1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 730
Mr. Merrifield - thanks for posting that. I found that discussion a while ago. Wanted to include the link - somehow couldn't find it today...

Nicholas: Coincidently, I once owned a 1974 MM-Criterion owed by the Norfolk Ambulance Service in Norfolk, NE. (*) I believe they are still in business there? MM

Too bad it lost it's "brightwork" during the flips. I love this unit and considered hitting it in '08! :thumbsup:

63GMC%20HT_zpsydcky1d0.jpg

63GMC%20HT%203_zpsygbnqy2y.jpg

63GMC%20HT%204_zpspufrexv7.jpg

63GMC%20HT%202_zpsz0e6iftz.jpg

when I first saw this one . it was sitting off 20 in a small town. checked it out on one of our runs threw there

this was Lloyd's rig when I picked up the 72 Seville from him shortly before his death. he had got it off e-bay in New Jersey. we discussed it on the site just before he bought it.

now if that 71 low top will just resurface. I can't believe I didn't just give him the 500 bucks right on the spot. notice the rust on the roof over the windshield.

Attachments

• IMG_4089.jpg
    IMG_4089.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_4091.jpg
    IMG_4091.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_4088.jpg
    IMG_4088.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:
Just an opinion here but the chrome on the sides of the roof panel, looks like they used chrome rear quarter panel trim from a 53-54 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 door.

Specifically the horizontal side trims and the pointed ends look to be the rear "v" by the tail lamps.

Or at least close enough to replicate the original pieces.

Mr. McDonald - Yes, Norfolk FD is still the primary 911/emergency ambulance service for the town and surrounding area. Oldest rig there now seems to be a 1989 Type III - http://www.ci.norfolk.ne.us/fire/Images/rescue 3.JPG

There is also Norfolk Ambulance Service, Inc that provides interfacility transport and EMS standby - not sure when founded. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Norfolk-Ambulance-Service-Inc/358812802323 Wish I could see photos of the car you had - maybe it was this one's replacement?

Mr. Livingston: Thankfully, no chrome missing. The chrome bumpers, grille pieces, taillights, mirrors with safety striping (original!), etc. were all tagged/labeled and boxed up in the back when I got it. Rechroming required for most/all, but in good shape and still there. At some point, someone chose to put painted bumpers on - as seen in the ad Mr. Merrifield linked to - but chrome was original as seen in the 1963 picture.

Ed: Do you have any more close-ups of the Christopher logo? I would like to try to get that reproduced, you can see mine at least had that on the side. Maybe not the RES-Q too though. I'd love to see more photos of Mr. Ray's carryall for comparison if there are more. Especially interior ones. I'm just guessing on mine for the most part.

Mr. Rackov: Mine never came with the cool chrome trim like Mr. Ray's. Too bad - I'd have chased it down.

Anyone got ideas on the what the object on the fender to the immediate 1 O'clock of the "Dept" text is? Far forward on both sides as well, was the standard GMC V6 logos.

Thanks everyone for the kind compliments. We're very happy with it indeed.

Nicholas, I'm glad you got that Chevy. I had seen it advertised in the past and hoped it would end up with someone who would restore it. Apparently, it did! :D

48 inch but with the flat tire and sittign in the hole memory has it lower then it was, still a lot lower then a high top.
wished I had taken a few more pictures of the Christopher but as it goes we were on a mission.

Nicholas, thanks for sharing. Great to see the background information on its early life. Looking forward to updates on the restoration.:thumbsup:

I believe you'll find that the object at 1 o'clock is one of these:

530201.jpg

More likely a similar, earlier version. Not sure from the photo if it's an amber front, red rear tied into the turn / tail lights, or double sided red tied into the warning lights.

Available here

Very nice and unique carryall unit...I love it! Congrats on your acquisition and best of luck on the restoration. Looking forward to following that one too. :thumbsup:

Back