69 S&S 3-Way Question

Daniel Scully

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
Ok , All the other 3-ways I have had have controls on both front doors and the rear. This only has controls on the front doors. I can get it to go out and return on both fronts but it looks like it should extend out the back as it it has small rollers for what looks like to travel out the back . I see nothing on the rear,so any ideas on how it comes out the back or not? Does not look like anything is missing control wise. This is also the first 3-way I have seen that has the hydraulic pump for the levelizer under the hood with a/c. It all looks like day one but it looks like it came from Superior?

Attachments

• DSC00356.jpg
    DSC00356.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 503
  • DSC00357.jpg
    DSC00357.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 499
  • DSC00358.jpg
    DSC00358.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 509
  • DSC00359.jpg
    DSC00359.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 493
  • DSC00361.jpg
    DSC00361.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 481
  • DSC00362.jpg
    DSC00362.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 476
The cover over the center channel track between the table and rear door should lift out, exposing the track the table needs to move in.

That center chrome piece on the table should pull toward you, activating the table.

Table doesn't necessarily move to all 3 doors. I've seen a few Superiors of earlier vintage ('57-'64) that have auxiliary rollers in a raised block behind table. Example provided is ex-Traveler '60 Crown which currently belongs to Paul Newman. Not all had flip out portion, some were fixed position. Any indication of this arrangement being previously mounted in '69?

1001225_10151742407638221_2054732764_n.jpg

942466_10151742407813221_1565898013_n.jpg

999832_10151742407808221_749913385_n.jpg

Table

Got it .Thanks :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC00363.jpg
    DSC00363.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 457
  • DSC00364.jpg
    DSC00364.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 455
Table

Table doesn't necessarily move to all 3 doors. I've seen several Superiors in this vintage ('57-'64) that have auxiliary rollers in a raised block behind table. Example provided is ex-Traveler '60 Crown which currently belongs to Paul Newman. Not all had flip out portion, some were fixed position. Any indication of this arrangement being previously mounted in '62?

Attila,This on a 69 S&S

All the Superiors I have seen up to I believe 1973 ,the table only goes out the front. A friend has a 70 Superior 3-way and it has the rollers in the back like the 60. Thanks

I realize that you could get pretty much what ever you wanted for interior fabric, but it seems somewhat strange to see Mohair used in a '69 S&S....... isn't it??

I realize that you could get pretty much what ever you wanted for interior fabric, but it seems somewhat strange to see Mohair used in a '69 S&S....... isn't it??

I would think more in a S&S mohair ,but I guess like you say whatever you wanted you could get .The back of my 65 is mohair.

Attachments

• DSC08550.jpg
    DSC08550.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 417
  • DSC07719.jpg
    DSC07719.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 413
The S&S table pretty much acts as an extend table out the back door, if I am understanding what you are asking.

The S&S table pretty much acts as an extend table out the back door, if I am understanding what you are asking.

Is this one a recent acquisition Dan??

John, Kurt is correct it acts like a manual pull out table to the rear only. The front left and right is power. The rear center track cover lifts out and you then pull the center of the table handle and you then can pull it out the back. That's what threw me when I was trying to see how it came out the back. The cover and handle blend in pretty well. Thanks to Tony I got it to work.

Kurt ,I have had it for awhile but did not want to do anything until I got a title for it. To many projects as it is and probably should not have bought it. It has lot of pluses= S&S 3-Way, A/C, Levelizer now has a good title etc. minus,s= it has been sitting in the desert and has rust on the roof ,so once I get it cleaned up a little better I,am going to throw it out for sale @$3500.00 OBO.Thanks

While designed to be operated as a 3 way in a pinch.....this car ( I assume) was built for a large city that did predominately services in a crowded metropolitan area where the side loading function was used 99% of the time. I think in "older days" this was called basically "a "sideloader" as opposed to one with controls for all doors which was a "3 Way". Nowadays we seem to call them all 3ways. I remember being able to differentiate between the two styles 25 years ago hearing the difference from funeral directors that were in their 60's and 70's back then. While I only had one "sideloader" (my first procar...a 64 SC with side controls only), I never really liked this type of car, I appreciate them but combinations will always be my first choice.
Is there a S&S builders plate (or sticker) on that car Dan......and it appears to be a smooth roof?

I just thought of something.....I have all the ordering crap for 68 S&S's tucked away somewhere......now I am curious how they offered the table in this type of car....lemme look and post later.

Is there a S&S builders plate (or sticker) on that car Dan......and it appears to be a smooth roof?

Had a top but is long gone. Some Pics of the plate.

Is the Superior Lev-L-Matic on the S&S or actually on a Superior?

It is on the 69 S&S and looks like it has been there since day one .I have never seen a 60,s S&S with levelizer so I have no point of reference ,The 50- thru early 60 S&S ,s 3-ways I have seen have the same table as superior. Looks like S&S purchased this from Superior?

Attachments

• DSC00367.jpg
    DSC00367.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC00365.jpg
    DSC00365.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC00366.jpg
    DSC00366.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 203
While designed to be operated as a 3 way in a pinch.....this car ( I assume) was built for a large city that did predominately services in a crowded metropolitan area where the side loading function was used 99% of the time. I think in "older days" this was called basically "a "sideloader" as opposed to one with controls for all doors which was a "3 Way". Nowadays we seem to call them all 3ways. I remember being able to differentiate between the two styles 25 years ago hearing the difference from funeral directors that were in their 60's and 70's back then. While I only had one "sideloader" (my first procar...a 64 SC with side controls only), I never really liked this type of car, I appreciate them but combinations will always be my first choice.

I just thought of something.....I have all the ordering crap for 68 S&S's tucked away somewhere......now I am curious how they offered the table in this type of car....lemme look and post later.

I guess that means that my 60 (the one Attie pictured earlier) is a side loader

Had a top but is long gone. Some Pics of the plate.

It is on the 69 S&S and looks like it has been there since day one .I have never seen a 60,s S&S with levelizer so I have no point of reference ,The 50- thru early 60 S&S ,s 3-ways I have seen have the same table as superior. Looks like S&S purchased this from Superior?

Both very interesting and intriguing! Goes to show that there was evidently more cross over use of options, parts etc from one coach builder to another than might think and even know of. And if I'm not mistaken Eureka 3-way tables used in Superiors in the mid 60's and Henney (Heise) tables used by other builders as well.

Both very interesting and intriguing! Goes to show that there was evidently more cross over use of options, parts etc from one coach builder to another than might think and even know of. And if I'm not mistaken Eureka 3-way tables used in Superiors in the mid 60's and Henney (Heise) tables used by other builders as well

Here is a pic of a 59 S&S for comparison and a 71 Superior I had at one time.

Attachments

• 9fd2_3.jpg
    9fd2_3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 71 9.jpg
    71 9.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 214
don't forget that Eureka sold everything to Superior. so if you wanted a Eureka table you got if from superior after the 64 year.

Table

don't forget that Eureka sold everything to superior. so if you wanted a Eureka table you got if from superior after the 64 year.

This is a tag that is on my 62 Superior.

Attachments

• DSC05959.jpg
    DSC05959.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 190
Back