Wanted: Ferno model 26

Jon VanDermark

PCS Member
Wanted: Ferno Model 26 one man ambulance cot

1960's vintage.

Can be crusty cosmetically, but mechanically sound.

Will consider other manufacturers (like Junkins) as long as it has the adjustable head.

If interested in a trade, I have a Washington Model 54 or an older Model 30 as well as folding flats, stair chair, OD army litter, and military MEDEVAC Reeves style litter with hoist straps. Pictures on request.

Thanks, Jon

Early "One-Man" cots are hard to find. All of these cots have the negative factors of relative scarcity, low demand in general, difficulty in moving/shipping to an interested buyer, and the ability to just turn it in as aluminum scrap. Part of the problem with these particular models is that the fans of a certain 1980s movie want them as a "rack" to hold their prop backpacks, as was shown in the sequel. As far as I am aware - Ferno and later F-W (not Bomgartner or Junkin) were the only ones with this type of model. There was an earlier "One-Man" offered by Washington (designed by Mr Ferneau as I understand it) that Mr Renstrom has an example of - but it doesn't resemble these.

If someone here had one lying around they wanted to get rid of - they'd probably have done so already. eBay is tough because of the high fees, and with the visibility there it seems the older cots generally don't sell well but the seller still wants "megabucks" for it. I found a Model 26 after a year of searching by keeping best eye I could on national Craigslist listings. Folks find these things in old funeral homes and whatnot and try to sell them locally. There's a few search engines for that, but generally a crapshoot. Good luck!

It really isn't a matter of eBay having high fees. More of a matter of it being a pain in the *ss to sell bulky items on eBay. eBay buyers ALWAYS want the item shipped to them. On Craig's List, it is usually assumed that bulking items like this will sell locally and just be picked up by the buyer. On rare occasion, a Craig's List seller will be willing to ship bulky items. I have experienced this many times on both the buying and selling ends.

I have had many stretchers and would never consider listing one on eBay for this reason. I sell many items on eBay for much bigger money than any old stretcher would bring.

Shipping is not a problem for a gurney. You send it bus freight. Around 100 bucks,cardboard over the matress and tie the legs up so that they will not drop down and take it down to the depot. It's automatic or insured for 500 bucks. Can't be any simpler. But requires a a little thought. Some thing lacking today.
I keep and eye to eBay the prices ask there have gone threw the roof. Way out of line. For used no longer serviceable med equipment. Blame buyers south of the border who were buying up a year ago I sold 3 at least that way. They needed equipment could get it for 100 off eBay when ferno wanted 1200. Not that same thing Is 300 on e bay.

One other place you might check is your government surpluss. I have gotten a few that way. one other gurney you might look at is the 29 it was used a lot built around 75 or so it would have been a up grade from a 30 for any service. With a little modafcation to the bar it came be hooked with a side rail instead of the horns. The only one man I now have up here is a 28. To do one of them right requires the floor mount. I did modifications on a side rail to hold it in place but not something that a service would have done. Funeral home for first call, but not a ambulance service.

I needed a one man to take my grandmother out as no one else in the family could help with a two man gurney. The only time I tried that we blew out my brother in law's back and almost dumped grandmother on her head.

A good source for vintage stretchers would be your local ambulance distributor. These guys don't/can't/won't make any attempt to sell the vintage stretchers and they usually just end up just scrapping them. I have bought several this way for $100 each.

Another good source would be funeral homes that have been in business since the days when they ran ambulances out of the funeral home. The down side with these is that these stretchers usually spent years in storage in a damp/wet basement and are often times badly corroded.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've always wanted one, so nothing ventured nothing gained.

I did find one, but the gentleman is over an hour away from the closest bus freight drop off and that is the sticking point. I have a couple of other leads, if those don't work I can try and go back and see what we can work out.

Thanks again.

The. Bus will run about 100 bucks. Just under was the last one I got I offered the man a extra 50 onto his Shiping to drop it off.

Ed

The quote I got from Greyhound was 118.00. I offered the guy an extra 50. He wanted an extra 125.00. It's still there if I want it. I'm not sure how badly I do.

I was just in Centerville last week. My '74 Superior 54" ambulance parts car was in service in Centerville.

Noooooooooooo.....This gentleman and I were wheeling and dealing last week. Any chance you're going back that way anytime soon?

Ed

The quote I got from Greyhound was 118.00. I offered the guy an extra 50. He wanted an extra 125.00. It's still there if I want it. I'm not sure how badly I do.

To quote the "American Pickers," the time to buy is when you see it...

Greyhound is the cheapest option. However, FedEx Ground/Home Delivery and UPS Ground will ship it as an "oversize item." You'll end up paying between $140-$200 delivered, depending on where it the country it is. Just have the gentleman wrap it in a shipping blanket and wrap it in plastic film. You can setup an account online and arrange for a pickup from his house. It's slightly cheaper to e-mail the seller a label to print and tape to the shipment, and if they can and are willing - drop off at a FedEx location.

Contact me direct if you need help with the process. Done it multiple times. You may get a discount with FedEx or UPS based on employment, memberships, etc. - so keep that in mind when you create your account online, etc. USAA is one such organization...

Back