'31 Ford...flower car?

After running through eBay twice, now being advertised by the FL 'buyer' on other sites for $6900, spirited talks on both fordbarn and HAMB about being a hearse/flower car/early SUV, curiosity still has me wondering if this was indeed made for funeral industry:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270955454318

$(KGrHqR,!hgE7kHYOmH)BPVCrKik7g~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqF,!oUE9dIWN!1wBPhvBBrqVw~~60_12.JPG

S.S. Albright was suggested as possible coach builder. Whether two '28-'29 or '30-'31 Tudor bodies were used, they're mated to a '31 cowl. Even given period it seems if this was coach built the finish details would have been to a higher standard.

Dig deep to ID procar historians. :smiley3:

I've looked it over a few times in previous auctions, and my personal, yet clearly not professional opinion, is it's not. The wheelbase is short, and the rear loading door seems a bit crude for an industry built coach. I think it looks like a factory built delivery or truck body of some sort sitting on a sedan chassis. Now as with many funeral vehicles of the era, it is possible it was a home-built creation to serve in some professional capacity.

Looks like a fairly crude "home-built" concoction to me. I can't think of any reputable, established professional car manufacturer or even any after market truck body builders that would attempt to market such a crude vehicle. Gotta be a shade-tree operation that threw this together. Note the hinges on the rear doors.

I think your not use to early 30 stuff. you have to remember that during this time frame a lot of people were having stuff built for them at home. all you needed was a chassis and some one willing to assemble a body to make a car. as the Hx of this one has been lost it's anyone's guess as to what it was made for . but I will say vary few cars in any delivery fashion would have a finished interior. and you not looking at seats built in it. hearse would be a good guess. but by whom or for what home. who can tell. now if this car was in this shape and had been an AA or a body by one of the known car/truck makers it would bring the money. since know one know what it is it's junk. but it does resemble some of the later tail stretches put out by smaller companies

I do know that the U.S. Govt. had hearses built on the Model A chassis duirng the early '30's. This may be one of them...

I think your not use to early 30 stuff. you have to remember that during this time frame a lot of people were having stuff built for them at home. all you needed was a chassis and some one willing to assemble a body to make a car. as the Hx of this one has been lost it's anyone's guess as to what it was made for . but I will say vary few cars in any delivery fashion would have a finished interior. and you not looking at seats built in it. hearse would be a good guess. but by whom or for what home. who can tell. now if this car was in this shape and had been an AA or a body by one of the known car/truck makers it would bring the money. since know one know what it is it's junk. but it does resemble some of the later tail stretches put out by smaller companies

The reason I dont think it was a hearse or removal vehicle is if you look at the rear door from the inside it has the rear light and most likely license plate light and wire protruding in the center, that would be very much in the way of loading or unloading a casket, rough box or gurney. Not to mention as others have said the crude hinges and design ot the rear door.
a.jpg

a1.jpg

a3.jpg

Help ID 1931 Ford hearse,ambulance,flower car,commercial vehicle,etc.See photos

( I do not have posting priviledges,so I cannot attach photos. Email me and I will send you lots of photos of it).Hi everyone. Well heres my latest purchase of an obscure vehicle. I purchased this 1931 Ford Model A with some custom factory or body shop built body,to save it from being rodded,at somewhat great expense. Looks like it was a hearse,ambulance,flower car,commercial delivery vehicle,etc.I have been a car guy for 40 plus years,and I have seldon seen a custom bodied Ford Model A. Notice the craftsmanship on the extension of the body,the body molding,custom back fenders,etc. I believe it started out as an original Tudor sedan,then the body was removed right behind the front doors,and the balance added. The collective thought as of now is that a SECOND 1930-31 Ford Tudor sedan was added behind the front doors,and the rear of the second body was shaved off,to accept flat rear doors. Notice the original inside panels,as this was purpose built,by someone. The top and sides up high used to have a material covered roof to hide all the body work. Don't know if the frame has been extended,as the Ford is stored in Mansfield, Ohio,and I am in Florida. I had the prior owner look for a makers plate on the cowl,doors and floor board,and none was found. Windows in back used to have pull down shades. Looks like pulleys and cables enable the drive to pull open the rear doors. Could be by Henney,Meteor,S and S etc.,or merely well crafted in a body shop in the late 1930s or 1940s. Who knows-not me! OK guys get your books out and let's ID the beast.I am considering restoration,but might consider selling also. However I am interested in IDing it right now. Can you imagine pulling up to a national Model A or PCS meet in this restored??? What about this being the hauler,pulling a vintage sprint car or midget racer on a trailer behind it? More photos avail by email,just ask. George Albright,Ocala,Fla. cell 352 843 1624 10 AM to 4 PM EST. Email: gnalbright@gmail.com

( I do not have posting priviledges,so I cannot attach photos. Email me and I will send you lots of photos of it).Hi everyone. Well heres my latest purchase of an obscure vehicle. I purchased this 1931 Ford Model A with some custom factory or body shop built body,to save it from being rodded,at somewhat great expense. Looks like it was a hearse,ambulance,flower car,commercial delivery vehicle,etc.I have been a car guy for 40 plus years,and I have seldon seen a custom bodied Ford Model A. Notice the craftsmanship on the extension of the body,the body molding,custom back fenders,etc. I believe it started out as an original Tudor sedan,then the body was removed right behind the front doors,and the balance added. The collective thought as of now is that a SECOND 1930-31 Ford Tudor sedan was added behind the front doors,and the rear of the second body was shaved off,to accept flat rear doors. Notice the original inside panels,as this was purpose built,by someone. The top and sides up high used to have a material covered roof to hide all the body work. Don't know if the frame has been extended,as the Ford is stored in Mansfield, Ohio,and I am in Florida. I had the prior owner look for a makers plate on the cowl,doors and floor board,and none was found. Windows in back used to have pull down shades. Looks like pulleys and cables enable the drive to pull open the rear doors. Could be by Henney,Meteor,S and S etc.,or merely well crafted in a body shop in the late 1930s or 1940s. Who knows-not me! OK guys get your books out and let's ID the beast.I am considering restoration,but might consider selling also. However I am interested in IDing it right now. Can you imagine pulling up to a national Model A or PCS meet in this restored??? What about this being the hauler,pulling a vintage sprint car or midget racer on a trailer behind it? More photos avail by email,just ask. George Albright,Ocala,Fla. cell 352 843 1624 10 AM to 4 PM EST. Email: gnalbright@gmail.com

We have been discussing this car here http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8505&highlight=ford

The quality of the rear door doesn't seem to match the quality of the extension fo the main body. Is it possible that someone changed the rear door after over time? The rear door actually reminds me of a Jeep rear hatch. It does look like a Model A Tudor (I have a 1930 Tudor) was used as the base and the body was extended.

wood rotted out and the glass dropped. the flat back says they chopped it off to get the hatch. but why the two piece door is anyone's guess. the exposed hinges were topical in the 30 trucks. but the light sticking up would be a problem no matter what you used it for. why it's not off to the left like every other car /truck those years is one more mystery. but if one wanted one could make a nice home brew rig out of it. the big stuff is all ready done. the markers lights for tail lighs looks tack to I'm guessing the center light was just brake. but they were most likely added later the fender looks to be drilled for the standard ford light

Back