NOT SO technical project!

Oh am i gonna get RIPPED for posting this, but had to share a Youtube video i'd found on how to make your own wide whitewalls! Now i'd never try this, especially on one of my coaches, but it is something i'd heard of but never seen it done before... so don't shoot the messenger because you have to see this for yourselves LOL

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkcm3rh60p0[/ame]

its called shaving the tire

There are a few tire sellers out there with the wide whites that they charge many bucks for. Guess how that extra wide white get on the tire. Not in a mold, not by paint. But shaving the outer layer of black off the sidewall. Rubber in its natural state (out of the tree) in not black. The black is added to make tires black. Don't know who or exactly when it was decided that the official color of a tire should be black. The idea of shaving is that the exterior layer of rubber really is cosmetic and adds no strength to the tire.
Back in the 50s a few makers experimented with trying to sell tires to match your car paint. You know how long that lasted. When is the last time you saw blue or green or pink tires?
Mike

I'd be a basket case taking a grinder to a tire like that for fear of ruining it. Saw another video where they turned the tire very slow on a spin balancer & did this. I'm thinking wide whitewalls & the stock hubcaps on the '67 M-M but will go through Coker tire for them & not a grinder. Never heard of the colored tires Mike! Interesting. A friend of mine just bought a 1956 M-M & dragged it out of a guy's back yard, you should see the "porta-walls" on it after sitting in mud & grass for 20 years... they're hanging off the tires! haven't seen many "porta-walls" lately except at the Goodguys meets last summer, wonder if they still make them?

I had blue striped tires on my blue 1964 Chevy Impala. They were the first set of replacement tires installed at 12000 miles. Back then tires didn't last very long. The red stripe tires were the big rage on the GTO's, etc. Guess that is why they are still made.
There actually is a machine that was made for cutting the white walls... Just google White Waller Machine

porta walls

Yep, they still make porta walls. The same people that sell the new wide whites usually have them. Not as cheap as they used to be. But nothing is. They can also be found on auction sites, usually listed as RARE. Like ever it is a buyer be aware item. I have also seen white wall paint. It is suppose to be a new mix of the old idea of keeping your tires in shape and looking new. This stuff is about $30 or so a can on the auction sites. How many remember painting on the white walls?
I remember the blue stripes Paul mentioned.
Just imagine that regal 56 Packard in the 50s vogue of Pink, white, and black with pink tires. Maybe the blond would take you mind off the tires. What? there is no blond? Ok, make it a redhead.
Mike

When you used the word vogue..... it reminded me of Vogue tires. They had a fancy side wall, and a raised gold "V" design along the outer edge. They were also the most expensive tire you could buy.. I googled the name, and they are still in business... http://www.voguetyre.com/index.cfm

Rat rodders have been grinding on white walls for years. As for the different color stripes Diamond Back Classisc www.dbtires.com still makes them, along with any width WW you are looking for, even two or three stripes that were popular in the 70s.

Vogue tires

Yes, they still make the Vogue tire. It has a gold stripe at the edge of the narrow white stripe. They seem to be very popular here with the hiphop crowd. Don't know what one has to do with the other.
They are still a high dollar item.
Mike

Back