yard Superiors

Drove out of state yesterday to drop a load of repaired vintage neon off to a collector who concentrates on '20s-'50s pieces. Knowing he doesn't throw out invites often, I took the opportunity to view what has been amassed in over 30 years of dedicated pursuing. His vast array of quality pieces numbered over a thousand..! Well worth the trip alone. Even had a funeral director neon piece from the early '30s.

Also combined time in a 'fresh' travel area to view a '60 Superior that I've known about for awhile yet have never seen. Lead came from another who purchased a different '60 Superior. He first saw this '60 14-15 years ago. Then it was a nice restorable unit and he was clear that it is no longer, having sat rusting since. Over the course of several years, the owner never fixed a price, and the person ended up buying another.

Having spoken with said owner before, I called in advance to arrange plans. He wants me to bring a trailer and drag it home. Hasn't given a price range nor ever provided a picture, merely saying it is a "good complete restorable car". He also has a '62 Cadillac hearse and a '66 or '67 Pontiac Consort hearse. Meh. How many people would take a trailer, killing gas mileage for hundreds of miles, on such limited info?

Of course I did bring tools in the oft chance of buying parts. What I didn't think to take was a machete for the thickest bramble and prickers I've come across hunting to date.

The *cough cough* '62 ended up being a '64 Superior Royale limo style combination.

dsc05365pw.jpg

Immediately next to sits the '60. This is the only semi-viewable ground angle after zooming in.

dsc05368d.jpg

I asked the owner for something to cut brush with and am handed a shovel. WTH. 35 minutes later in 96 degree heat (luckily low humidity) I can see the '60 is not complete as told, nor really restorable for that matter.

dsc05377j.jpg

Maybe someone can explain the need to pack stainless hubcaps inside old hearses. I've seen MANY like this and never understood placing non-deteriorating parts out of the weather. Not much of a theft deterrent when doors are unlocked, nor are parts cataloged...

dsc05383c.jpg

'60 is also a combination, not that I can see ANY of the interiors, merely exterior fresh air scoops.

Time to climb. Enough swinging that spade. To my surprise both windshields are good.

dsc05382i.jpg

dsc05380z.jpg

Hmm. Now prices are definitely needed. Another set of '63/'64 corner glass isn't bad. Brady's friend needs a '59/'60 set. Daniel Scully needs stainless rocker molding. 2 more '59-'64 Superior rear loading door glass. Another possible donor for the crushed '59. Plus whatever else is usable remaining before scrapping. Trim appears fairly complete. So far, I really only need a windshield and set of rocker molding stainless for myself.

Trying to receive any prices, parts or cars, was akin to a singed Koala searching for an all night burn center. Simply not happening. After 15 minutes of him being elusive I threw a figure out for both the '60 and '64 whole. He immediately countered 30% higher. It was apparent that he didn't have any price in mind, and would have analytically increased any offer he heard. Lame.

But at least there is a starting point. More progress than the guy who told me about them made in 14+ years. I'll write a detailed pro/con list on paper to assess if any deal is worth pursuing. Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Consort is toast. I spent all of 30 seconds snapping a couple pics, noticing the rear Pontiac emblem shape marker lights are cool, and that it has good rear loading door glass.

dsc05371j.jpg

dsc05372w.jpg

how much of the fender is left of the 64 Superior. If I can get pieces enough, I can have a replacement for mine fabricated. Right now I have nothing. THX

Quick look at a map and I was a mere 67 miles away from this place again. Owner would be around this afternoon so time for a diversion!

This time I was prepared - tree trimmer, hedge clipper, sickle, and sling blade. Low 90s heat w/ an index of 104 was tolerable with breaks. '60 roof that succumbed to a blackberry bush liberated. Worst part was thinking of Billy Bob Thorton with each swing of the sling blade. ;)

dsc05944cy.jpg

'60 passenger side rocker stainless was bent back with stretched metal. Disappointing.

dsc05943q.jpg

'64 passenger side rocker molding has a couple rock pecks, decent usable as is, or can be metal finished easily enough.

dsc05933s.jpg

'64 right front fender is smooth running hand along. Doesn't appear to have any hidden accident damage/repair. I didn't see the lower most portion under stainless but it felt okay. Might pour water over next time to see if any body waves appear. Left front fender is garbage, unless one wants to patch the lower 6". Which side do you need again Kenn..? Russ, are you still looking for a pair as well?

dsc05932e.jpg

dsc05936d.jpg

Both '60 and '64 have good driver's side rocker stainless. 3 out of 4 isn't bad in the Majors...but I wanted a set and Daniel needs a passenger side, correct?

dsc05935j.jpg

Driver's front fender has lower 3" rotted, otherwise straight. Front door has large soft dent. Dash pad missing. Roof rotted along rain gutter between C and D pillar, so no roof donor possibility. The more detail viewed, the less interested in entirety I became.

Although the '60 does have factory air. Wonky.

dsc05942uc.jpg

Owner was easier to speak with this time. Think he realized after time I spent just to view them that I wasn't goofing around. Glad I did too, as the offer previously made for both was retracted! Guess who instantly dropped prices..? Not biting now.

He did however decide to sell parts after inspecting the coaches closely - for the first time in over 20 years. Took '60 corner glass and gas door/hinge today. In two weeks I'm returning for '64 corner glass, both windshields, and the 3 good/decent rocker molding. One of the windshields will be available if wondering.

There are a couple other items I wouldn't mind removing (rear loading door glass, body moldings, jump seats, plastic dash pod, commercial wheels, etc.) but as PCS members move entirely too slow for my taste (generally speaking), no need to stockpile parts. Daniel, Kenn, Michael...drop me an email for particulars. Same goes for anyone else that could use a piece. I'm not planning on returning to this place after next trip.

Although I think we discussed the reasons why people insist on holding things until they are worthless and well beyond restoring, it seems to me that they actually have some sort of a sickness. I mean really, if you appreciate that something has value, why would any sane person allow this to happen? Once again, everybody loses!

All that description written yesterday and I forgot to mention 2 fresh leads transpired as a result... '64 S&S and '37 Packard; different locations, each for sale, and neither in a junkyard! Should know more by Monday evening.

Front Right Fender wanted 64 Superior Landaulet Combo

Hi Atti, I am after the front right (Pass) fender and any and all side body chrome moldings I can get. Is he willing to get rid of the whole car? need windshield wiper arms also. How does the front and rear bumpers look, mine are garbage? How is the overall condition of the hood. I have rust issues across the very front. How's the grill and battery tray?

The battery tray is being reproduced. Found on ebay. I dont remember the company's name, but I sent them a good tray to start the reproductions. I have a 64 parts car coming in around the end of Aug.

Back