What model is this, and what pedestal does it need?

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
I think I had one of these in my 66 GMC rescue truck. It has no brand or model markings. Does it have a shell? A pedestal????? I'm thinking of using it.
Thanks in advance!!!!
Kevin Lynch

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 351
That is a Federal DuoTone siren. From the front grille, it should have a chrome rear shell, and a 2 or 4 bolt base. If it were a under hood siren, then it would use the base that the Model 28 under hood sirens used. Depending on how you intend to use it, will determine what additional parts you are going to need. If you use it as a under hood siren, then you will need a cover for the open rear where the brushes are located. If you decide that you want to use it as an external siren, then a rear cover will be needed, and an appropriate base.

As Paul mentioned, you have a 1947-57 Federal 76A. The nameplate would have been on the missing brush inspection cover. These used an Autolite MBB Motor for which brushes are no longer available. I reproduce the bases, and may eventually have the brushes reproduced. The bases are $30.00 plus shipping.

Thank for the help!

I found the base. I can mount it concealed, although I'm considering mounting a siren if I can find the motor cover - which I'll post separately.
Thanks again everyone!
Kev

Or put 6 volts to it, and it sounds normal, then in all probability, it is a 6 volt siren. The other alternative, is to "bump" it with 12 volts, and if it takes off screaming, then you know it is a 6 volt siren. Third thing to try (but do it first), is to remove the front light, and see what voltage the flasher and the bulb is. Normally, 6 volt sirens used a 6 volt bulb and flasher. If the bulb and flasher is 12 volt, and the siren screams on 12 volts, someone used the 6 volt siren on a 12 volt system, and converted the light, to 12 volt.

Back