weight how much

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
this comes up every now and then. so her is the sticker on this 67 superior combo. it is rated at a GVW of 7300. that would include all the equipment 5 people and all. but it ran over loaded most of the time. as my guess is only about 1000 lb for stuff is the margin from curb weight.

I do know if you put the air in the rear up to at least there recommended psi the car will handle a lot better. 24 up front is surprising but that what my 72 CB calls for also.

Attachments

• IMG_5031.jpg
    IMG_5031.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 277
GVW is exactly what the vehicle manufacturer thinks is the top weight for that vehicle to carry safely.

That magic number makes a used ambulance worth more to a contractor than a similar size box truck. Ambulance GVW will be 1500 additional pounds.

Until 72 when NY started issuing titles for new vehicles Registrations for hearses and ambulances had GVW and "seats 3 lays 2 or 4 depending on the car" printed on them.

ED If you are going to be using radials 45 lbs is what I use in the rear. Bias I would go with the 40lbs depends on the tire and the age. Running radials low will buy you a ply separation and failure. Run bias too low they get hot and BANG! Biggest issue with radials is they get old and the cracks appear in the tread then a blowout is soon to come. Todays tires do not take getting old as well as yesterdays.

I have never seen a radial tire worn out in the center only the outer edge. all the extra load call for 50 psi. but it has been my experience that heat is the main cause of belt separation and the best way to heat up a radial tire is to under inflate it. I never run one of them under 35 psi on anything I drive.

Back