Rear Wheel Bearing Removal

D

Dean Wilkinson

I need to replace the rear wheel bearing (driver's side) on my 73 Cadillac. First attempts to do so have proved futile and they broke the puller. Any suggestions ?

The short answer is that the machine shop might not have been familiar with this type of bearing, however, I have run into bearings that were just so stuck that they didn't want to come off no matter how much you tried. In these cases, I would get out the torch, and put some heat on the bearing itself, being careful not to overheat it to the point that there would be an unacceptable amount of heat transfer to the axle itself. I have seen some people use a torch to cut off the bearing completely, but I don't like that idea, since you run the risk of damaging the axle shaft. I have also used a 4" cut off wheel to cut the bearing in half. I never get so close to the axle to cut into it. Once you have most of the bearing cut away, it is usually enough that it will allow the bearing to break in half when you put the axle into the press.
From what I remember, the bearing and seal are one piece on this axle, so I am wondering where you found a replacement. I know of another PCS Member that is looking for a replacement axle seal, but hasn't found one yet.

I need to replace the rear wheel bearing (driver's side) on my 73 Cadillac. First attempts to do so have proved futile and they broke the puller. Any suggestions ?

Ok, so how were they trying to get it out. you say broke the puller!! did they remove the keepers. sounds to me like someone need a old book or a old mechanic. new man on a old car my be the trouble your having. I can scan that page and send it to you. drop me a line at jer57747@hotmail and I'll send it to you. I took it from you post that the axle is still in the car. Paul thinks it is out. which one of us is right. :rolleyes:

Ed........ I think that you are onto something. I naturally assumed that they broke the puller fixture that holds the bearing to the axle. I never gave it a thought that they wouldn't know how to remove the axle from the differential. This further validates the point that I have made many times in the past that a factory service manual is a must when working on these old cars. Unfortunately, I don't have a 1973 Cadillac Service Manual, otherwise, I would post the page(s) as a PDF File for future reference.

Axle

Remove the drum and work thru the hole in the axle to remove the bearing plate retainer nuts ether 4 or 5 nuts. Leave the backing plate nuts on . Once the retaining nuts are off the axle should slide out , might need a slide hammer to help on this. Or you can reverse the drum slide it over the wheel studs replace the nuts ,flat side down and you can use it as a cheap slide hammer . Once the axle is off take it to a machine shop so they can remove the retaining collar and bearing and press the new one on. Reassemble in reverse order.:)

yes like Dan said. funny they show the retainer plate. but forget to say that step in the instructions. they must have thought that tow up front. they do haw ever tell you to put it back on. 130 ft lb torque on the wheel nuts. i never knew that . Ben doing 100.

Attachments

• page 4-37a.jpg
    page 4-37a.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 245
  • page 4-38a.jpg
    page 4-38a.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 225
  • page 4-39a.jpg
    page 4-39a.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 213
  • page 4-46.jpg
    page 4-46.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 229
The Lifeliner is Repaired

To all those that provided info in regards to replacing the axle bearing a big thank you. However, the axle bearing wasn't the culprit. Last Wednesday I had lunch with fellow PCS member Len Langlois who had just returned from his annual winter pilgrimage to Arizona. I described the problems I was having with removing the axle in the 73. Len said before I attempted to pull the axle again, I needed to check the driveshaft carrier bearing. They are prone to failure and the noise will transmit along the driveshaft and give the impression it is rear end noise. I ordered up a bearing and this morning the shop dropped the driveshaft and found the carrier bearing had failed. Within an hour and a half the repair was complete and the noise was gone. Had the chance to take the car out for a trip around the city and what a pleasure it was to drive. Just have to get a front end alignment on Wednesday and the transmission fluid changed and the mechanical repairs are complete. Hope to spend Thursday and Friday giving the interior a good clean.

Had the chance to take the car out for a trip around the city and what a pleasure it was to drive. Just have to get a front end alignment on Wednesday and the transmission fluid changed and the mechanical repairs are complete. Hope to spend Thursday and Friday giving the interior a good clean.

PICTURES.....We miss looking at it Dean. Glad it is repaired.

Richard

Back