Leaf Spring Replacement

Leaf springs should be replaced in pairs if you are replacing it with a new one. The cost of leaf springs today have gone through the roof, and can cost $750 to $1000 for a pair. If you are looking to keep costs down, then buy a used pair, and put new bushings into them. It isn't a fun job to do, and is mostly bull work. Not the type of job that you want to do in your driveway. Always replace the U bolts and nuts when replacing springs, is the rule that I have always been told. Don't know what the reasoning is, but I guess it might have something to do with the fact that they stretch as you tighten them to the rear axle. You can also have your old ones re tempered, but that is almost as much money as new ones, and harder to find a shop that still has a working forge. 1971 through 1976 are all the same, and possibly even further back. A spring shop should be able to tell you what the interchange is.

Leaf springs

Detroit eaton spring, they made me a lot of them for my cars,, they have all the specs, tell them what it is, and poof, its done

Greg Yoder

had new springs made for me for my 58, they were done last week. I will pick them up on thursday. Babcock spring in milwaukee wis. I think my bill on new springs bushing set and u-bolts $700.00

Back