Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:00 AM
PCS Life Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Future of rear drive GM sedans?

http://www.wwj.com/pages/5366164.php

I received this link from a friend today. Just when it looked like we're reaching the end of large rear drive sedans in this country the Holden Commodore from Australia will continue in another American version! I don't know if this has any relevance to the next platform for professional cars, but I know many of us are fans of big RWD sedans.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Burchfield For This Useful Post:
Lawrence W. W. Wilson (10-07-2009)
Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Pat Caruso - Deceased 1966 - 2013 Pat Caruso - Deceased 1966 - 2013 is offline
August 15,1966 - May 19, 2012

John,
Thanks for starting this thread.

USAToday has a write-up, including a few pictures....
http://content.usatoday.com/communit.../10/68500318/1

"GM says the Caprice police car, built on one of its Australian rear-wheel-drive platforms, has been specifically adapted for police duty. The cars will have high-output alternators to handle the lights and radio and heavy-duty suspension and components. Caprice won't be sold in a civilian version. Caprice will have a monster 6-liter V-8 engine. For fuel savings, there will be an optional V-6 by 2012."

Pat
Old 10-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Website Member

Default Outlook for future Cadillac procars pretty dim

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Burchfield View Post
I don't know if this has any relevance to the next platform for professional cars, but I know many of us are fans of big RWD sedans.
The Cadillac XTS will be the replacement for the DTS. It's a smaller chassis than the DTS. It will have a V6 engine. Probably not a chassis which will be appealing to the hearse and limo builders. Take a look at the 2010 Buick Lacrosse. This is the chassis the XTS will be built on. The XTS will have a slightly wider and longer wheelbase than the Lacrosse.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:18 AM
PCS Life Member

The 2010 LaCrosse is a front drive car. Will this new XTS also be front drive? The LaCrosse looks like a Hyundai from the rear! It's probably built off the same platform as the Malibu.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Website Member

Default Narrow caskets only please

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Burchfield View Post
The 2010 LaCrosse is a front drive car. Will this new XTS also be front drive? The LaCrosse looks like a Hyundai from the rear! It's probably built off the same platform as the Malibu.
Yes, the XTS will be front-drive. It will be built in a factory in Oshawa, Ontario. The next version of the Chevy Impala will also be built in the same factory. The Impala and XTS will share a similar chassis.

Maybe the new XTS chassis can be utilized as a hearse if US funeral directors are able convince their customers to purchase narrow European style caskets.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:08 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,427 Times in 6,105 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Blair View Post
Maybe the new XTS chassis can be utilized as a hearse if US funeral directors are able convince their customers to purchase narrow European style caskets.
and what lay them in it sideways. all I can see is a end to the car base hearse. just like the ambulance they will have to go to the truck line to get a rig they can stretch and still last long enough for the warranty to expire. or they will have to build there own complete rear platform and tack on the caddy Buick Chevy front end. they may have to beef up the transmission to handle the extra load but it would be a real doable thing to just make the back half completely and tack on the front doors up. they could then go back to leaf springs and have the room they needed. do the 6 passenger thing or make a short one. the testing would be the big draw back to remaking the car. but the costume boys have been doing this vary thing for a long time with any front wheel drive car. w have all see camper trailers marred to the caddy olds FWD front clip.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:44 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,725 Times in 3,845 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

I can see where older hearses are going to be going up in value, and a new emerging business will be the refurbishing of the older vehicles.. I remember in the 1980's when pick up truck prices started to climb drastically, there was a company that was "re manufacturing" Chevy pick up trucks, with a complete tear down and every component checked and replaced if needed. The price was steep, but a lot less than the cost of a new truck. With the volume that they were doing, they could give a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty on the complete rebuild. When you got your truck back, it looked showroom new inside and out. The only thing that they didn't change back to new condition was the odometer reading. With our baby boomer population aging, and the popularity of older classic cars, it might just be better accepted than you might believe, for a funeral home to be using a 10/20/ or even a 30 year old vehicle. Take a look around at all the homes that already have an older vehicle just for these clients...
Old 10-07-2009, 01:27 PM
PCS Member

Default Ford Taurus police package?

For years Ford has been issuing "warnings" that they are making RWD full size cars for just one more year. From the popular Crown Vic to the Lincoln Town Car. It looks like Ford's offering with a police package will eventually be the Taurus. Alas.
Kevin
Old 10-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
I can see where older hearses are going to be going up in value, and a new emerging business will be the refurbishing of the older vehicles.. I remember in the 1980's when pick up truck prices started to climb drastically, there was a company that was "re manufacturing" Chevy pick up trucks, with a complete tear down and every component checked and replaced if needed. The price was steep, but a lot less than the cost of a new truck. With the volume that they were doing, they could give a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty on the complete rebuild. When you got your truck back, it looked showroom new inside and out. The only thing that they didn't change back to new condition was the odometer reading. With our baby boomer population aging, and the popularity of older classic cars, it might just be better accepted than you might believe, for a funeral home to be using a 10/20/ or even a 30 year old vehicle. Take a look around at all the homes that already have an older vehicle just for these clients...
This was also the case with the Chevrolet 9C1 police package cars after the RWD B body was discontinued in '96. There was a company nearby that refurbished/remanufactured these cars for police agencies. All new suspension components, new engines, remanufactured transmissions, etc. That was great until body rust and I imagine body fatigue started to occur.
The Ford police packages, at least for the '97 m/y were very underwelming to say the least.

I did a couple of ridealongs with my local PD at that time. The Caprices would whip the Crown Vics to pieces in pure acceleration. Comfort and room in the Fords also left a lot to be desired. I could never understand why Ford would not install the Mercury 5.4L that was in the Marauder in place of the 4.6L in the Vics.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:42 AM
PCS Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rackov View Post
This was also the case with the Chevrolet 9C1 police package cars after the RWD B body was discontinued in '96. There was a company nearby that refurbished/remanufactured these cars for police agencies. All new suspension components, new engines, remanufactured transmissions, etc. That was great until body rust and I imagine body fatigue started to occur.
The Ford police packages, at least for the '97 m/y were very underwelming to say the least.

I did a couple of ridealongs with my local PD at that time. The Caprices would whip the Crown Vics to pieces in pure acceleration. Comfort and room in the Fords also left a lot to be desired. I could never understand why Ford would not install the Mercury 5.4L that was in the Marauder in place of the 4.6L in the Vics.
Actually Joe, the 2003-04 Mercury Marauders have a 32valve all aluminum version of the 4.6L V8 that if memory serves me correctly, was also used in the '02 Mustang SVT Cobra. That engine is rated at 302hp which some car magazines thought was a bit conservative. The Florida Highway Patrol had a small fleet of Marauders-don't know if any of them are still in service or not. There is also a company in L.A. that refurbishes 9C1 Caprice cars. Most police officers seem to prefer the Caprices to the Crown Vics, but with the last model year of Caprices being '96 there is a dwindling supply as age and the elements take their toll. With the CV being in its 13th year of production in its current form, there are simply thousands more of these cars around than Caprices.
Attached Images