Windshield info needed for '73 MM Lifeliner

Bill Leverett

PCS Member/Super Site Supporter/Paramedic Supervis
Hopefully the "collective" can help me with some information. I need to replace the windshield in my '73 Cadillac/MM Lifeliner due to a rock chip/spreading crack. The only information I can see on the windshield has this information..."DOT 15 M32"

Is this the glass code for the windshield? I've emailed Pilkington Glass but haven't heard back from them. Does anyone know the code for this windshield? The windshield is approx 26 1/2" x 78 1/2" (inside trim to inside trim measured)

Any help would, as always, be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

W/S #s

These are old NAGS #S (National Auto Glass)
The #s I believe are the same but the prefixes have changed , most glass shops can interchange these #s
59-64 W678
65-70 W761
71-76 W788
You can also try Pilkington Glass. They routinely make the procar windshields for that era from original manufacturing equipment.
Try www.Glasssearch.com www.pilkingtonclassics.com or 1-800-848-1351. Ask for Al Smith.
Special pricing for PCS members is available.

it take the w788 or the w787. the 787 is with out the antenna. every now and then one with the antenna popes up but they are not being made new any more. Al is the man to get it from I have put in 3 of them from them now. looking at around 550 and 100 for the crate and shipping. i got two of then out just like yours if you want one more.

My insurance company will pick up the installation plus the last known list price of the glass (I still pay the deductible). Ed, I'll let you know after I talk with the local glass shop about their costs. You have an extra is that right?

Bill

If your glass installer deals with Pilkington Glass, and if Pilkington Glass has a warehouse that he can pull the glass from, you can save the crating and shipping costs. Some glass companies will work with you on the costs, since glass has deep discounts for volume users. Asking is free, so give it a try.

like Paul said. there is a link to Pinkerton glass from the vendors in the members section. if it's insurance work. your local glass shop may be able to get it routed with out fright. the man I deal with here has a different out let.
so we had to bill my insurance co for the fright. the glass will be listed in their class book under caddy hearse/ ambulance in that year. the number will be the NAGS number. the only bulk I have had is convincig the home off of the insurance co that they used that glass in a oldsmobile. if they can't locate one threw there sources then give them Bill's number as a place to get the glass. I have had two put in with insurance 3 with out. the used ones I have here are both chipped and plugged. I keep them because I might get one with the glass out compltly and need something to fill the hole. 500 bucks is 500 bucks. if I need to I can live with a few sand pits and one pluged star chip.

Windshield arrived today.

My windshield arrived today. I did get it from Pilkington after speaking with Al Smith. He was great to deal with. Really nice guy and has a procar of his own! His price/service was excellent and the windshield shipped the next day. Shipping right to my door was $150 (US) plus I arranged the broker for import (probably around $60 Cdn). Apparently no Pilkington dealers in Canada however some of these windshields do exist in Canada at an extremely inflated price. The one quote I received was $1000 + shipping. So any Canadian folks looking to replace their windshield should deal directly with Pilkington in Ohio.

Hopefully I will get it installed next week. The glass company will do the instal at my place which makes it even better.

Thanks again to PCS for directing me where to buy.

Bill

Bill...... Have the glass company take the windshield out at your favorite body shop, and then have the body shop prep the opening and paint the pillars and right above the windshield. That way, when you get to painting the car, that part will already be done. Also, if they find any pin holes around the windshield opening, they can braze them closed so you will not have any leaks. Now is the time to do this most important part of the restoration. You don't want to buy a windshield twice. Also, make sure that you have new molding clips to replace the old ones. They are usually rusted, and don't hold the molding on well. They can only be replaced when the glass is out of the opening... Paul

like Paul said. one other thing is the replacement glass has the top corners sticking way up. let them know this and they will not be surprised. all of mine in this type have ended up above the stops to get them to seal in the canter and the corners all most touching the body. as they now use the urethane it's not a problem once it sets up. they only want a layer of self etching primer between the steel and the glue now. so if they paint in there just leave the pinch weld in primer.

Back