Importing a car from Mexico info needed

Rick Franklin

PCS Member
Does anyone know what is involved to import a car to the USA from Mexico? My sister has a 2000 Honda Accord in Mexico that she wants to give to my parents. She plans on driving it across the border and then I would drive it back to Seattle. I would assume that she would need to pay some sort of duty on the car; she purchased it 2 years ago in Mexico when she moved there. And yes, she IS a US citizen ; working for a US company in Mexico.

as it is her car, this should not be a lot of problem. stop in at the court house and ask them about changing the title . they could give you the info. it may be easier to have her transfer the title in her name and add the folks with the and or clause. then it would be a matter of what WA charges for taxes on a out of state transfer. duty fees if any could be answered then to. but I would imagine that they would have to be at least declared at the border. I do know they go south easily. they are leaving Denver auto auction driving one pulling two. if your sister got it used down there it may have come from up here and had taxes all ready paid.

Crossing the Mexican Border in to CA

Rick: If she is a U.S. Citizen and is driving the car that's properly registered to her in Mexico..... nothing should be required to cross the border in to CA or travel anywhere the USA. When you re-register it in WA..... if it's like CA you will have to pay a "use tax" which is the fair market value of the car times whatever your local sales tax is + the normal transfer, license fee and any WA Smog Requirements

(IF) it is not currenty licensed in Mexico, she will need to pick up a BLUE One Trip Permit (Form REG.1-402T(12-07) from any CA DMV for $17.00. This will allow you to drive one-way or a round trip from San Diego to your town in WA by the most direct route. According to all the "legalezze" on the back of the (self filled out permit) you will not have any issues with Oregon or Washington using this CA Issued Permit. MM

Many states allow for the transfer of a vehicle without sales or use taxes if it is between direct blood related persons... i.e. Parent to child, sibling to sibling, etc.. Also, if you own it in another state or country for more than 6 months, many times you can register it in another state without paying the sales or use taxes.

???

One thought that comes to mind is that since the car was made for sale in Mexico, it may not be compliant with US and state emissions or safety requirements. The cost to correct deficiencies may be prohibitive.
John Dorgan

One thought that comes to mind is that since the car was made for sale in Mexico, it may not be compliant with US and state emissions or safety requirements. The cost to correct deficiencies may be prohibitive.
John Dorgan

Yes John, you are correct and I have thought of that. I do know that the "VIN Decal" on the door frame must say "Meets US Federal Standards" or the car must be retrofitted to comply. Assuming that the car meets US standards, Im trying to figure out if she needs to pay a duty at the border crossing in El Paso. As far as titling it in Washington state, it would have to pass emissions test IF the county you live in is part of the emissions program, and since it would be a "gift" from one family member to another, there would be NO sales tax paid

John covered the meet standards question I had.

John and I both deal with the daily influx of the south of the border influx but the the one thing I've never gotten a straight answer on is: How do we daily see the Mexicano autos/trucks arparently operating legally on our streets? I can understand a day/week trip but used to see them daily in the early mornings as I was on the way to work when I was still working?

When I was still in the Towing business we had a mexican toyota land in our yard after a very minimal accident that wasn't claimed. Boss turned it into a yard dog after taking off all usable sheetmetal. :p

Back