AAA info needed.

Station Wagons

Clark,
My neighbors daughter works at the AAA call center...she told me to just tell the operator that you have a Cadillac,Pontiac etc.She says all they need is a make and color NOT a model.....
My ambulances are both DMV'd as station wagons and that was THEIR classification...so you can always say you have a station wagon...and no one will be the wiser.....of course as you say lunch for the driver helps a lot !!:)

AAA vs Hagerty Roadside assistance

Danny. AAA will not tow any commercial vehicle or modified vehicle (Stretch etc) Hagerty however I have the 125 mile towing plan and that covers any of my Vehicles antique or newer. I have only had one Incident where I did not like the driver . He refused to basically back the unit up and pick up my 71 Lifeliner Ambulance he kept saying I cant block the street. I am not going to drive on the grass etc. when he finally was able to get the car on the flatbed
I rode with him and he chain smoked the whole way even after I had said I had a breathing issue. when we arrived at the Garage he left the car in the middle of the driveway and left. I called hagerty and told Them to Never send Beyers towing to any of my assistance calls and explained why

Russ

I had a phone conversation once with the head of the roadside assistance dept of AAA Washington. I knew this guy personally as I had worked for his father in law at a AAA Contracted tow Co. I specifically asked him about AAA & my hearse & h replied, "no its not covered. Its a commercial vehicle" I told him its privately owned & not in service. He responded "but it was orginally a commercial vehicle". To which I said "Tim, you know me as a car collector. Suppose I bought a 53 Chevy Sedan Delivery. Would you cover THAT?" He said YES. I asked then "Why? Its a commercial vehicle". He then hung up on me. I promptly cut up my AAAcard & sent it in the mail to the president of AAA Washington explaining why. Never got a response tho.

I am not going to be any help in the decision for you to try AAA or not because I have had both good and bad experiences with them.

I have been a member of AAA for 25 (?) years now and in the last 8 or 10 years, they seem (in my experiences) to be getting worse every time I call them. They used to be really big on customer service, but now, they seem to find any way to cut costs even if it makes you, the customer, wait longer.

Used to be you could personally call any AAA certified station or tow truck and the station handled the paperwork. Now you are required to call the AAA center and they send out one of their chosen, contracted drivers. Now, don't get me wrong, the drivers have always been good at what they do, it is just that when you call a center that is who knows where on the other side of the country probably, you just don't get the personal service that they used to offer.

When we were in Missouri for the international meet, we had the battery go in the hearse. They would not cover it! The sad part was that it wasn't even a full size hearse, it was an 83 Buick that my dad had at the time. The driver was cool and towed it anyway for a very reasonable price outside of AAA's coverage. That is what I don't understand... I pay AAA for coverage and they tell me they will not cover a professional car, but when the driver gets there, he says no problem, I can tow that, but AAA will not pay for it!

I have been a AAA member long enough that I know that I have gotten my money's worth of tows, jumps, locked keys etc, so I keep my membership. It is just really frustrating sometimes with the lack of coverage in certain things and the decline in customer service the past few years. Makes me wonder every once in a while why I keep it.

Thanks for all the input, I knew I would get the answer I needed. My main idea for having AAA is not to cover my hearse but I am on the road alot with personal vehicle's going to club meets and other stuff and as much as you try to be prepared soemtimes you just need some help. Also I get ask alot at hotels if I have AAA for discounted rate, I have AARP but soo many times I here they don't take that but do take AAA? I like the idea that I am covered not the car being I drive alot of different stuff from the car lot and the brochure I got said they will cover a car owned by members employer so that is what I like. I have decided to give it a shot for a while and see what I think about it. All your opinions were very helpful in my decision making.:applause:

my .02

Danny
For what its worth. I have had AAA provide service twice in a pro car related prob. Once in the FWD S&S I got from you had a rear tire go south driving to Brunswick. Spare was phlat too! No prob. Took some time, but they took care of me.
The other time an alt took a dump in Jesup on the old MM Olympian that I also got from you. No prob. They roll backed me home. I had to pay up front but AAA reimbursed me every dime!

P.S. No reflection on the quality of Danny's cars, just my dumb luck. If I thought his cars were the prob, I'd stop buying 'em!!!

Danny
For what its worth. I have had AAA provide service twice in a pro car related prob. Once in the FWD S&S I got from you had a rear tire go south driving to Brunswick. Spare was phlat too! No prob. Took some time, but they took care of me.
The other time an alt took a dump in Jesup on the old MM Olympian that I also got from you. No prob. They roll backed me home. I had to pay up front but AAA reimbursed me every dime!

P.S. No reflection on the quality of Danny's cars, just my dumb luck. If I thought his cars were the prob, I'd stop buying 'em!!!

I like the way you pulled that out in the end there Peter!

Back