Red Cross Undertaking Company, Asheville, NC

Well, that was its name when founded in 1908. Founder Robert Lewis changed the name in 1910. His was the first purpose-built funeral home in Asheville. The ad appeared in 1950.

The 1949 hearse shown, and a 1941 Cadillac family car, each bought new by Mr. Lewis, remained his only vehicles until his retirement in the 1970's, which of course gave some the opinion that he lived in a bygone era, and his business dwindled significantly. He became a friend of the owners of another Asheville funeral home, and they became the owners of those cars. Unfortunately, they sold their business to one of the conglomerates, which took ownership of all rolling stock. Mr. Lewis' building was sold to the county in the '80's, and was demolished to make way for an addition to the adjacent court house.

I saw what I believe was the 41 Miller out on East Tunnel Road maybe 20 years ago. I can't remember the name of the FH as they are out of business now. I know they had a limo as well and I think it was a 48. This was about 1996 and I simply didnt have the $$ as we had just gotten the franchise from Ford and I had no spare "fun cash". For the life of me I cant think of the name of the place (the building is still there although Groce FH now). The cars were stuffed in a barn like building wayyyyy out back. Oddly enough I saw a 41 Miller on a trailer headed south through my neck of the woods about 15 years ago, I immediately assumed it was "that" car. Kent or Jack would remember the name of the place. The structure was so dark looking and photographing the cars was impossible.

So much for my statement that Lewis had the first purpose-built funeral home in Asheville. This is from the October 19, 1900 Asheville Register:

Back