Memorial Day 2013

The Memorial Day weekend is upon us. Cookouts, baseball games, races, and a host of other things will occupy our time. Please take a few moments and pause to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice that we may actually enjoy these weekends.

"While many Americans recognize Memorial Day as the official start of summer, it is important that we pause and reflect on the sacrifices of the hundreds of thousands of men and women who have fallen in service to our nation. Through their dedication to country, they have upheld our values of liberty, justice and self-determination. We will proudly join our fellow Americans in honoring these brave individuals who have voluntarily given their lives for the sake of freedom. We also remember the families of our Armed Forces, who know personally the sacrifices made in service top our great nation. As Americans, we are called to do our part to uphold the ideals for which these individuals have given so much. We would also like to thank our veterans for their service to our nation, and join with them as we remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice." From the web-site of our bank, I thought it very appropriate.

I've never seen it more simply put than this, on a sign in a church down the block: IN MEMORY OF MANY, IN HONOR OF ALL.

As we did last year, Monday morning we will all go over to the Ohio Veterans Home in Sandusky. They have a Rememberance Ceremony in the cemetery before the parade up to Oakland Cemetery. There is something extremely powerful yet very humbling about walking those grounds. Very hard to keep the eyes dry. I've noticed over the past several year a rather disturbing trend....simply, more white headstones, and fewer "old guys". Very sad indeed. It's our way of making a very small payment on a huge debt we owe them.

To all of you who have served (or are serving) our country a heartfelt "Thank you for your service", appreciated more than you will ever realize.

In loving memory of Rick Albright, Larry Libbee, Jack Lundell and Craig Rhoydes, little boys from my distant past who gave all for all of us.

To my cousin, Lt.jg Wally Franklin, USN: You are still remembered & have a special place in my heart! To all members of our military:Thank you for your service!

The Memorial Day weekend is upon us. Cookouts, baseball games, races, and a host of other things will occupy our time. Please take a few moments and pause to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice that we may actually enjoy these weekends.

"While many Americans recognize Memorial Day as the official start of summer, it is important that we pause and reflect on the sacrifices of the hundreds of thousands of men and women who have fallen in service to our nation. Through their dedication to country, they have upheld our values of liberty, justice and self-determination. We will proudly join our fellow Americans in honoring these brave individuals who have voluntarily given their lives for the sake of freedom. We also remember the families of our Armed Forces, who know personally the sacrifices made in service top our great nation. As Americans, we are called to do our part to uphold the ideals for which these individuals have given so much. We would also like to thank our veterans for their service to our nation, and join with them as we remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice." From the web-site of our bank, I thought it very appropriate.

I've never seen it more simply put than this, on a sign in a church down the block: IN MEMORY OF MANY, IN HONOR OF ALL.

As we did last year, Monday morning we will all go over to the Ohio Veterans Home in Sandusky. They have a Rememberance Ceremony in the cemetery before the parade up to Oakland Cemetery. There is something extremely powerful yet very humbling about walking those grounds. Very hard to keep the eyes dry. I've noticed over the past several year a rather disturbing trend....simply, more white headstones, and fewer "old guys". Very sad indeed. It's our way of making a very small payment on a huge debt we owe them.

To all of you who have served (or are serving) our country a heartfelt "Thank you for your service", appreciated more than you will ever realize.

In loving memory of Rick Albright, Larry Libbee, Jack Lundell and Craig Rhoydes, little boys from my distant past who gave all for all of us.

Very Well said Russ, Thanks for posting.

We should think of our service men and woman, whether they came home, or they didn't make it home. They have fought for our freedom and protected us from harm. We owe them all a huge debt of gratitude. God Bless all of the men and woman who serve their country.

I agree with everything you have all stated, very well said. In memory of my Grandfather, Charles MacLean Richey, T5 HQ CO WWII, member of SHAEF.

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 146
  • SHAEF badge.jpg
    SHAEF badge.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 155
Back