Superior hightop pontiac in Green River Utah

that picture with all those young men gathered around and on the car has me worried that they are gonna break out the cooler of beer and the sawzall and welder to see what they can create

the "atomic ambulance"

There seems to be a good number of photos online of this rig. One pro photographers shot it in 2001 and called it the atomic ambulance probably due to the rear side window graphics. Oddly enough if you look at Green River on google earth (I'm currently laid off.....bored) there seems to be a vehicle parked in a scrap yard that loooks like this rig. Of course in that area its pretty pixelated but you can make out the red V on the hood. May not be because the beacons don't seem to be visible.

opportunity

Might be a chance it's for sale? Hope somebody saves it from the wrecker or buddy with the rifle who shoots out the windows for fun

Those twin beacons look awesome up there.....

AMR's 1978 has twin beacons on it too. It's a great look.

caddyin140-1.jpg

Green River Ambulance

Just wanted to post an update on this rig.

I was traveling on Amtrak to Chicago last week and one of our stops was in Green River Utah.:)

After getting off the train and looking north,there she sat ...about a stones throw from the train platform.

It STILL is just sitting there.....I asked an employee of the station there if he knew anything about it and his reply was"the only thing I know is its been sitting there forever" "and that everyone wants to buy it,but the owner does not want to sell it":confused:

What a shame........

Wow..... I remember staying overnight in Green River back in 1976, didn't know the car was in town.

I have AGGRESSIVELY tried to buy it, including sending a rep there in person following up with a letter to the Fire Chief with pictures of some of our accurate (original new in service) restorations. Apparently it is (NOT) For Sale at any price, as there was no response or reply? MM

I have AGGRESSIVELY tried to buy it, including sending a rep there in person following up with a letter to the Fire Chief with pictures of some of our accurate (original new in service) restorations. Apparently it is (NOT) For Sale at any price, as there was no response or reply? MM

Things sometimes change, especially in these situations. The "old guard" die off and the young people taking over have zero interest in it, all of a sudden, it is for sale. That happened to me, when I bought the 1967 Miller Meteor ambulance from South Hackensack. For years we had all been told "not for sale" period. But then one day, it was advertised in an auction listing. There it was among unwanted possessions of the town, it was the only vehicle. But, the lesson learned for me, is that you cannot control it, but that ambulance will be for sale, someday.

Just a thought for someone who reeeeeaallly wants that car. Warning, it's playing a bit dirty though...

Check to see if the current location and status of the car is in violation of any zoning or county laws. Also check to see if there are registration requirements in the county. If the owner has the county hounding them for code violations, abandonment of a vehicle, or if the car must be registered with current plates (which in GA also means you have valid insurance coverage), the owner may reconsider what the future of the car is. Now if it's not privately owned though, that could all be irrelevant.

PS I didn't come up with this idea. I know someone who successfully did it to get an abandoned car they wanted.

That ambulance has been posted on many different websites. I suspect they keep it because it attracts attention. After all, why else would anyone be talking about Green River, UT?

Adam, the only problem with your plan is that it's a fire department vehicle on fire department property. Zoning probably isn't an issue.

Attachments

• GreenRiver.jpg
    GreenRiver.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Maybe he can put the question about the value of the car, or taxes on up keep the city has been paying to have this car on the city books. Go to the city hall and request a day to attend a city open meeting, and make sure its on the docket that its up for discussion. Then you attend the open meeting, when time comes for the discussion of the car and what the city plans on doing with the car. They will tell you something, I'm sure some old fart will want to clear the records and paying of insurance on it. Its probably part of the citys fleet of vehicles, maybe the new SHORT OF MONEY FOR BUDGET will give them the idea to sell the car. Ifs in the public meeting, some of the town folk may request them to do something with it. This is my 2 cents worth.:thumbsup:

I've tried everything (honestly) except leaving them a blank check. The current Fire Chief is also on the City Council. Because it is left outside and very visible to anyone driving thru Green River, I am sure they get a lot of inquires about it. Their VFD currently runs several modern "box car" ambulances serving a large area around Green River. Hopefully my USPS mailed letter was kept and not immediately "round filed"! MM

Back