Ball joints needed

Thank you Daniel for the pictures. This certainly helped my mechanic understand how this needs to go together. Hard to grasp that my Lifeliner still has the original ball joints on it after all these years and 80,000 miles. Seems like they would need replacing after 30,000 miles after ram rodding through the streets of Cleveland. Wow!

The ball joints are welded from the factory to the a arm. The replacement ball joint with the plate keeps the ball joint from turning when the retaining ring is installed and tightened. Cut the weld from the ball and press it out. You have the correct parts . My understanding is Cadillac never supplied a arm parts just a complete assembly with ball joins and busing installed. .

I love the photo of you parts runner Dan!!

I took it upon myself to email Fred Kanter and tell him all OK below is a copy paste of his reply should help all that are confused. The difficulty young mechanics have with the 61-76 uppers is that the originals are welded in and caddy only sold complete arms. Replacement joints have a D shaped plate and are stamped L & R and as they look different the mechanics can't understand. The joints have offset slots for the stud and the plates orient them for L & R

fred

I took it upon myself to email Fred Kanter and tell him all OK below is a copy paste of his reply should help all that are confused. The difficulty young mechanics have with the 61-76 uppers is that the originals are welded in and caddy only sold complete arms. Replacement joints have a D shaped plate and are stamped L & R and as they look different the mechanics can't understand. The joints have offset slots for the stud and the plates orient them for L & R

fred

Some of the ones I have bought have a note in them explaining it ,but I guess not all them.

Last edited:
Some of the ones I have bought have a note in them explaining it ,but I guess not all them.

I can see how this would throw someone off going from one design to something totally different. My guy will get it done and appreciate the help and especially the pictures. Joe says he will grind or cut out old ones and press in new ones. I'm sorry to say no notes.

Appreciate everyone's help!

Well the front end is back together and doing fine. Just a "Thank you" to everyone's help and especially to Dan for the pictures of the ball joints installed. This really helped my mechanic. Should have the Lifeliner back by the weekend.

Might as well do the upper control arm bushings. They are another weak link in the front end. I know this because Paul told me so. Just passing the information on, since he is away on vacation.

Interested in replacing the upper control arms on both sides on 74. Would the commercial chassis upper control arms be specific or will any 74 Cadillac model work?

They are all the same. Unless yours are badly rusted, take it off, sandblast it, and paint. Install new ball joints, and you are done except for the alignment. You also need new upper control arm bushings. At that point, you might as well also do the lowers, tie rods, etc.. Before I had my 1969 painted, the entire front end was rebuilt, including new springs and shocks.

Back