Backboard & Stretcher Storage

Tony Karsnia - Deceased - 1971-2020

September 12, 1971 - November 2, 2020
A discussion was begun about this topic in another thread, but since that was not the intended subject of that thread, I thought I'd continue with a new thread.

Richard Vyse was asking whether the roof box on my Lifeliner is original to the car, which it is. I've attached a photo here of how the box accomodates an aluminum scoop stretcher and a long backboard.

The question also arose about where to keep backboards and stretchers in ambulances not equipped with roof boxes. Interior spaces, such as side hooks and squad benches are common storage places.

In addition to the roof box, my Lifeliner is equipped with an apparatus along the left ledgeboard, next to the cot, that looks like it is for holding a board or stretcher of some kind. Can someone identify the intended purpose of it? Thanks.

Attachments

• 2009_Dec_snow 014.jpg
    2009_Dec_snow 014.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 2009_Dec_snow 012.jpg
    2009_Dec_snow 012.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 284
Tony, I do believe that bracket is for a Ferno-Washington "scoop" stretcher. The diameter and placement of the brackety in relation to the upper part make me think that's what it is. Keep in mind it's an old memory I'm forced to work with here.

just the one bracket? the leaver device is of course a clamp so what ever it held in the grove could not cover it or you could not work the clamp. is it at the head end or the foot? Ok looked again it's at the foot. so most likely not a piece of pt care equipment.

There are issues with the way the spineboard and scoop are loaded in the top box. If you need only the scoop, you must first remove the spineboard. This was cured back when the the top box was first offered, by having a long board that was wide enough to rest on the guide rail. The scoop was then inserted (below) right side up. Some ambulance operators had a flat fiberglass panel installed and secured on top of the guide rails which made it very easy to remove or load either piece of equipment. Another practicle idea was the use of a folding scoop which was stored under the floor, or behind one of the drivers compartment seats. Ferno also made a bracket set to hold the scoop in two halfs. This was for rigs with jump seats rather than a squad bench. Those brackets mounted over the interior rear wheel panel, along side the long side glass. These storage options allowed the ambulance to have more than one long board, plus a scoop and a folding stretcher. When a scoop was mounted in the top box, it was subject to the ambient temperature. Nothing like sliding the scoop under granny when the aluminum was 35 degrees!

I presume there is another bracket ahead of the one shown. If it's what I'm thinking, that one doesn't have a "clamp" in it. I believe when the clamp on the one shown is "open", the scoop slides right in it.

I'm still trying to remember what rig I saw this in, I've got it narrowed down to 2. One would be Perkins Twp. F.D.'s 1972 Caddy M&M Lifeliner (most likely), the other is Margaretta Twp. F.D.'s 197? Chevrolet Superior wide-body van.

For those that would like to see what the bracket that you were looking at Tony here's a picture of one that was in Chief Ron's car.

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 241
On my Criterion, my wooden backboard is stored on top and the scoop under it. But, the wooded backboard is removable as well as the scoop individually. I like the mounts located inside. :my2cents:

when you see it put in it makes sense. but just to look at the bracket alone you have to scrach your head. only the one up right and clamp but there must be two of the holding rests front and rear. pop the clamp and lift up and your good to go. so was this a MM option or a ferno piece?

My guess is the front one would be a "rest (just a little u-shaped bracket)", like the bottom part of the full bracket or some such. Just guessing.

Richard Vyse was asking whether the roof box on my Lifeliner is original to the car, which it is. I've attached a photo here of how the box accomodates an aluminum scoop stretcher and a long backboard.

Tony, your backboard case is very dry. When I wash my Criterion I always get water inside but my door seal looks as good as yours and there are no obvious cracks anywhere. Do you have any rusting issues around the roof box? I have a few spots that required some caulk until such time the box can be removed and repaired/painted.

Tony, your backboard case is very dry. When I wash my Criterion I always get water inside but my door seal looks as good as yours and there are no obvious cracks anywhere. Do you have any rusting issues around the roof box? I have a few spots that required some caulk until such time the box can be removed and repaired/painted.

welcome to the world of top boxes. one of the worse add on MM ever decided to tack on a car. they trap water and dirt under them and it sits up there and then rusts out the top. they are designed so that water gets trapped inside just waiting for you to open it and get drowned. they could have had a slip in pocket behind the cabinets or in front of the bench any number of ways but the throw it up on the roof was the quick way to do it. just think how handy it would have been had they put the O2 bottle and the storage for the boards in were the spare tire goes. a full size door there and a false wall inside would have done it with out cutting out a lot of space or loss of apperance.

welcome to the world of top boxes. one of the worse add on MM ever decided to tack on a car. they trap water and dirt under them and it sits up there and then rusts out the top. they are designed so that water gets trapped inside just waiting for you to open it and get drowned. they could have had a slip in pocket behind the cabinets or in front of the bench any number of ways but the throw it up on the roof was the quick way to do it. just think how handy it would have been had they put the O2 bottle and the storage for the boards in were the spare tire goes. a full size door there and a false wall inside would have done it with out cutting out a lot of space or loss of apperance.

Not a bad idea there Ed.:agree:

Back