"Not in Service" sign in window

Would it be wise to have a "Not in Service" sign in the rear window while on the trip?

I'd wondered that too Richard... especially when I got hassled by the cops for driving my old 1959 Chevy Viking fire truck to the Goodguys show in Columbus a few years ago. They said I was "impersonating an emergency vehicle" but didn't get a ticket. Just be careful through OHIO on your way to Michigan...

I was at "Chief Ron's" house sunday & meant to ask him about this... chime in please Ron!

I'd wondered that too Richard... especially when I got hassled by the cops for driving my old 1959 Chevy Viking fire truck to the Goodguys show in Columbus a few years ago. They said I was "impersonating an emergency vehicle" but didn't get a ticket. Just be careful through OHIO on your way to Michigan...

Terri will be making light covers and covers for the siren speakers for the trip. I just hate to think about getting the bugs cleaned off those things and will cover them up.
Hey Ron, what's the word in Ohio on this stuff!!!!!!!

Signs

I have magnetic signs on the Medi-Cruiser that read " Out of Service " and
" Show Vehicle- Not an Active Unit " in 4" lettering on both sides of the unit and it did'nt stop a woman from stopping me when her daughter was having a baby 3 weeks ago !!

I have magnetic signs on the Medi-Cruiser that read " Out of Service " and
" Show Vehicle- Not an Active Unit " in 4" lettering on both sides of the unit and it did'nt stop a woman from stopping me when her daughter was having a baby 3 weeks ago !!

If I had only been there with mine, off to the hospital we go (or maybe not). ;)

I was driving my car to the glass shop, while on the highway a Massachusetts State Trooper was driving along side me, and he took a picture of the car with his cell phone!

Yeah, when I drive my ambulances, I get thumbs up or waves from the police and troopers. Never once gotten a hassle.

I've never put an "out of service" sign in my cars. I hope most folks would know it's not an active ambulance. (But yes, I did drive into a rest area and have folks come running up saying "He's over here!")

When I was headed to the auto parts store, one lane of the road was closed for repairs. There was a CT State Trooper directing traffic, and he put his hand up for me to stop. He walked over to the car and asked if it was an emergency vehicle. I say it was a retired emergency vehicle. He asked why the red tunnel lights were flashing. I got out of the car and looked, an sure enough they were on. I showed him that all the switches were in the down position. Since the front bumper was not back from the platers, I put the front plate in the windshield, and it was resting on the switch panel. That was enough to cause the switch to rotate slightly and make contact. Pulled the fuses, and was on my way. The officer at the other end, stopped me to look at the car. Now they wave at me whenever we pass on the road. I have since fixed the loose switch and put the bumper back on...

When I was headed to the auto parts store, one lane of the road was closed for repairs. There was a CT State Trooper directing traffic, and he put his hand up for me to stop. He walked over to the car and asked if it was an emergency vehicle. I say it was a retired emergency vehicle. He asked why the red tunnel lights were flashing. I got out of the car and looked, an sure enough they were on. I showed him that all the switches were in the down position. Since the front bumper was not back from the platers, I put the front plate in the windshield, and it was resting on the switch panel. That was enough to cause the switch to rotate slightly and make contact. Pulled the fuses, and was on my way. The officer at the other end, stopped me to look at the car. Now they wave at me whenever we pass on the road. I have since fixed the loose switch and put the bumper back on...

Damn Paul, that was neat. I did the same thing with one of the spot lights. The red lens was facing forward and drove all over that evening and was wondering why people were pulling over. We stopped for gas and the wife says, "This light is on" and of course we men know it all and told her "No way". Turns out it had been on all along. :eek:

While were on the topic of peoples reactions to our cars, I would like to know when the Ghostbusters comments will stop. I try to tell people that as a paramedic this is history of my profession. This week it was at the glass shop and the manager said several people stopped to look at the car. He said one guy even asked if Dan Akroyd was there. It was at this point I took my receipt and left aggravated.

pictures and signs

Wouldn't it be interesting to see where the pictures of our coaches end up? The texts that get sent with the pics of our coaches might make good reading too.
Just last week on the way to a cruise in we got snapped with a cell phone. Then the lady driver sped up and got over 2 lanes on the hiway so they could take pics of the other side of the car.
Should we get the union minimum model pay here?
Mike

While were on the topic of peoples reactions to our cars, I would like to know when the Ghostbusters comments will stop...
I had that this morning, I took the Cadillac to the tire shop to get a tire fixed, and the first thing the counter guy says, not "Hello" or "It's a great day at Treadquarters" (their usual greeting), but...well...that word. That's all I needed, considering this was the second visit this week since they put a big tire weight on the rim where the hubcap attaches on the first visit (I'd like to introduce the novel concept of hubcaps to the kids who work there. Can anyone suggest a good way to do that? :rolleyes:;))

The movie's been on TV several times in the last month, and with the new video game and GBIII in production, it's gonna be a lonnnnng time till that goes away.......:(

Hub caps are the small devices that cover the hub of the wheel. What most of our cars have a wheel covers, that cover the entire wheel. The Cadillac uses a special wheel weight that doesn't interfere with the placement of the wheel cover. Lacking the proper wheel weight, then the only other thing to do is to have them put the wheel weights on the back side of the wheel. If you want more information on balancing of tires, then please go to this website and read...

You're right, I use the hub cap/wheel cover terms interchangably and incorrectly.

They did, eventually, put the weights on the back. I don't need the info on wheel balancing, THEY DO!!!

20 year olds in a tire shop probably have never seen wheel covers, or hub caps, and have never gotten any training on them. It also took several minutes for the guy to find "the rubber hammer thing" to put the wheel cover on. But they do know how to answer the phone - that they get training on.

You're right, I use the hub cap/wheel cover terms interchangably and incorrectly.

They did, eventually, put the weights on the back. I don't need the info on wheel balancing, THEY DO!!!

20 year olds in a tire shop probably have never seen wheel covers, or hub caps, and have never gotten any training on them. It also took several minutes for the guy to find "the rubber hammer thing" to put the wheel cover on. But they do know how to answer the phone - that they get training on.

Steve you could also show them the distibutor, points & condensor, carburetor, and other technological wonders that have dissapeared in their 20 years on the planet.

Back