junkyard near Chicago

Have you ever heard of Lew Lazarus? That unbelievably overpriced sitting & rotting stuff is in Rockford, IL. And actually, link provided is most thorough photo documenting I've seen in 14+ years since becoming aware of him.

Here's an old ad from a '80 Hemmings Motor News, same owner:

dsc04576kv.jpg

Jon wasn't kidding. I know that there were other professional cars in that yard - you could see some tall roof lines in the distace in one photo - but, here's what I noted:

1970 Miller-Meteor Classic Limousine
1962 Superior Royale Limousine
1959 Eureka Limousine-Style Combination Car
1946-1948 S&S Knickerbocker
and....
A long wheelbase International high-top ambulance.

Some of these even look as if they could be rescued and restored. Thanks, Jon for posting these interesting images from somewhere around Dixon, Illinois - which is, in turn, near Sterling/Rock Falls.

You missed the '58 Cadillac flower car Keith. It is not a commercial chassis. Lew claims it was original and not converted later. (Lew claims a lot of things.) Always wondered who made it.

Lots of 59 Cadillacs too !

Sounds like they will rot without getting into the peoples hands who need the parts.

He will likely pass on and they will all be crushed.

I hope not but it happens often.

Great photos and post !

Darren

Stay away. Stay far away.

But I'm glad to see from the photos that the Travelall ambulance he tried to rip me off with is still on his lot, so he hasn't ripped anyone else off, at least with that one, in the last 13 years or so.

You missed the '58 Cadillac flower car Keith. It is not a commercial chassis. Lew claims it was original and not converted later. (Lew claims a lot of things.) Always wondered who made it.

hey Atti, were you refering to the one with the dual spotlights? I also noticed the rear roof and had hoped for a rear shot because it certainly looked different, and what about the '78? Lincoln?? pickup conversion or low dollar flowercar?? (you see it from the rear in the background in one picture)

Dana.

it is a interesting place no doubt. been there seen them opened 4 doors on the international and look the ground threw all of them. but he does sell stuff.
I just couldn't afford it. now then i wounder what then man would have done in a real yard like french lake. I say a whole row of these walrus mustached Buicks complete for sale just Friday. all drive home stuff

I was wondering if it was the same guy to stay away from!
Also, a late 70s Lincoln flower car, similar to the one Patrick Martin has, except roofline.
P1050405.jpg

Unfortunately, it seems that this guy's reputation precedes him.

Even if he is hard to work with and a general PITA, the first thing that I noticed was that there is some protection provided for all the cars with missing glass. Looks like someone took the time to put cardboard over all the missing windows to protect the interiors from the environment.

Hmmm... So unfortunate that he isn't the most hospitable person as it seems from comments here. Lots of nice old iron (pro car or not) there for the right person to restore.

Very true, alot of great old cars there, too bad he has the reputation he has. For some reason I dig the 59 Cadillac with the fins cut off just above the tail lights, nice custom look.

actually he is one of the friendliest people you will ever meet. has a story about everything. took the time to walk me around the place he is not running a junk yard. what he has is a yard full of junk. junk that he has attached a vary near and dear price onto. to talk to him on the phone is a study in pie in the sky. he can't see the car in hand. only the what it could be. the steps in between are missing to him. he is not alone in this universe I have meet many a man that thought the same way. if one is going past and has a afternoon to kill then it's a nice diversion from reality. better then a movie and more interesting (to Me) then most parks. but if your a realistic person and you buy into the hype over the phone and fly out expecting to buy a car and drive it home your in for a disappointment. I truly do not feel the man is a crook, just that he is is delusional. kind of like most Greene's

Mr. Lazarus sold me a 41' Henney-Packard Flower Car sight unseen and delivered it to me in 1971. He said it had very little rust, just surface rust in a few places. It's a good thing he delivered it. Well, the rust was so bad around both back fenders, the only thing holding them on was one bolt on the front. The doors were rusted clear up 6" from the bottom, and there was no bottom on the door. All the stainless steel was missing from the rear(he told me it was'nt too bad).

I learned 2 things from that deal. Never buy a car sight unseen, and don't believe everything a guy tells you. Back then, when I was young and dumb I believed everything to be the truth, because I thought all car people were honest. I have since found out that most are, but there are a few rotten apples in the barrel.

I had to sell the car because it was too far gone to restore(Then)

:my2cents:

Oh, he's very friendly to be sure. Pleasant fellow.

But when he sends you a photo of a really nice ambulance, and you fly out there, and then he tells you he "just sold that one the other day" but that he's "got another one right over here" and it's a POS he's asking thousands for that isn't worth hundreds, (and it turns out he never owned the nice one in the first place), then I'd say he's a liar.

I can't call him a crook as he didn't get a dime from me. When you lie to yourself, you're delusional. When you lie to someone else, you're just a liar.

But that's just me...

I luckily haven't dealt with the guy, or will never, after reading he has been doing the same thing at least as far back as 1971 !

He has been misleading for over 40 years !!!

Don't expect him to change, ever !

Darren

I remember I was at this guy's place once looking at a flower car that I had seen advertised. Well like everyone else's story about this guy, the car was a junk despite him telling me on the phone how nice it was, and insanely overpriced for what it really was. Anyway, I remember seeing the International ambulance and walked over to look at it, as I did with all the procars I saw there. When I was at the ambulance, the guy yells over that if I want it, I better act quickly, as there's a guy flying in from Maryland to buy it. I wonder what the chances are.....

Back