'47 Flxible service car

Only reason I was thinking about this car is I've got the cash and this car is worth saving if the earlier posts are true its the last of its body style. I really like the side trim and the lack of rear and side windows.

Ryan, you can be pretty well assured that there isn't another of there lurking around the corner. These were relatively rare when new and are extremely so now. Quite frankly, aside from photographs, I've never seen a real one. Somebody should save this survivor as it may well be the only one left. Good luck.

I've been talking with the guy and he is down to $1300 but wont budge any lower as thats what he paid for it, he got it from a frien in philidelphia?So between him and the ny add on the jalopjournal there has been another owner or possibly more. Seems like this car has been bouncing around for the last year. Main thing I'm worried about is a title without that I really don't want the car as what is the point if I can't do anything with it? I've got a line on another 48 flxible combo. ;)

The original HAMB seller That I posted this from was just north of Philly, not in NY.

What's the point without a title? The point is saving a super rare service car if that's the year range you're into and you can afford it. Don't let not having a title scare you off. You won't have it restored and on the road tomorrow. States neighboring OH are easier to title in...so what if an extra 'step' is required for paperwork. Where there's a will there's a way. (<---This coming from someone who grew up in OH and has done that titleless dance with the OH DMV numerous times, including importing vehicles and registering for first time in US which is equally difficult.)

Plus you now have the original FH name & location. You may be able to sweet talk having them apply for a duplicate NJ title. Chances are when they sold it off originally it was never transferred to next owner where it sat for decades before Philly owner acquired.

The other part is he said the front lower a arms are shot(when I asked about the previously mentioned crossmember issue he said he would check) but I have everything but a torque tube to make this car complete again. I've got a good 48 roadmaster motor,trans,front a arms with brakes, complete rearend,steering column,dash,gauges, and other various goodies. I offered the guy more if he could get me title but he said it's to hard to do in PA. This guy won't scrap it. I don't know with the title situation I got screwed on my 48 roadmaster that way. Great car no title and no one was willing to try. I went through hell at the court house and got told I didn't have enough evidence to prove ownership without a notorized letter from a previous owner that had either reached it's limit on thedays that they had to decide or it was returned with a note saying I could have it. With that car the owner had probably died in the 50s as the car had few miles and just sat and rotted somewhere before me getting the story from the guy I got it from. I don't want to spend the hard earned cash unless I know it's a done deal.

I assume that Ohio does bonded titles as do most states. I have done bonded titles on 2 cars in the past in Iowa. Figure around $200 to get that done. I have done the Alabama Bill Of Sale thing on 1 car in the past as well, but that route costs just as much and the inspector that came out too look at the car made it clear that I might not want to do a second Alabama title with him. I would never let a missing title turn me off of a car that I really wanted.

you know I got trapped on one to. did one of those fishy sales and got a title from a man who died. strange thing is I found him in the parking lot of the court house and he signed off on it as I was going in. sometimes you get lucky some time you make your own luck. some times is best not to ask just do it. crooks been doing for centuries. why is it all the laws passed to prevent theft only work to hassle honest people. most every state has a abandoned vehicle Claus that can be used to title one.

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but how does Ohio deal with out of state cars from states with no title?

In Vermont, a title is not needed, nor issued for a vehicle after it reaches 15 years old. When I bought my '67, it was sold with no title, and the salvage yard (in New York) gave a stack of paper work about a 1/2 inch thick to take to the New York DMV to apply for a replacement. I walked into the Vermont DMV with the bill of sale, filled out the registration form, paid my money, and walked out with a set of plates. They didn't even require a VIN verification (I was surprised by that, but I was told that since it didn't need a title, it didn't need the VIN verified.) I'm just curious what would happen if I sold my car to someone in Ohio.

The state of Vermont even returned a title to me. I bought a used pickup, and it was close to the 15 year mark, but the car dealer I bought it from and I just filled out the back of the title, and mailed it and the title fee in to the state with the registration application. I received the old title back, along with a check for the title fee and note stating that the vehicle did not need a title.

Ryan, my opinion (you aren't asking for opinions, but here it is anyway) is that, for $1300, you will have a most unusual car. With some work, you will eventually come up with a way to get the car titled. It may be difficult, but hey, everything about restoring professional cars is difficult, so this is just another. It's not impossible, just difficult.

Most importantly, if you want this service car - if you really want this service car - you probably will not have another chance!

Go for it Ryan....... $ 1300 for a rare car like this .....you have to save this car

ya it may take some running around to get the paperwork right but in the end ....... It will be well worth it.

GO FOR IT !!!!!

Just sold my 47 buick special sedanette project so I'm up to $1100 just need to come up with enough to cover the rest and make the drive out there. 18 hours there and back not counting loading time and finding a trailer big enough to haul it on. If this thing wasn't so long I would just rent a tow dolly. I will try and get this but I don't know if my buddies truck will make the haul there and back. Thats a lot of road time for a loved on 6.2 4x4 suburban with aggressive tires with a load. Anyone out there with a good rig and trailer willing to drive?:D

I decided this car is well out of my capability and no title is a no go for me. Sorry guys as much as I would like to save history this one is too much for me.

Back