man was I excited

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
it's a strange hobby when you get excited to get a part like this in the mail and only have to pay 100 bucks for it.

then there is the 72 with it's lacquerer paint still on it. there is nothing that can make you smile like watching the world pass by in the hood of a buffed lacquer paint. nothing everything els looks like a cheep shine compared to it.

we were asked to run it threw the home coming parade. how could I pass on a chance to share the lights and siren with people!

Attachments

• IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 428
Ahhhh! The hard to find '53 Pontiac Chieftain Station Wagon Tail Lights. Way to go Ed! They are made of Unobtainium if I recall.

Mine are OK but it sure would be nice to have a spare or 2.

I don't want to be a hog I just want two;). they don't come up vary often.
only used in 53-54 wagons and 53 sedan delivery. make sure your door check is in good shape.
so now we have two rough pieces to re plate some were around 100 bucks each. got the new reflectors at only 39 and the 48 to 52 car taillight lens in glass for a mere 20.

that gives 359 bucks in the missing left taillight and only 259 in the right one. just a hair over 1/3rd the money I payed for the car.

old car rebuilding is nothing but fun. :thumbsup:

I never realized these were that hard to find. I know an old junk man that has quite a few cars from this era, I better go see if he has these.

man if you could find a couple more I would be willing to , Na not even for a 53 wagon taillight. but Bill and I could really use a spare

I'd certainly pony up for a spare if anyone comes across one they don't want. As Ed mentioned...they don't come around very often.

Anyone who has a '53 or '54 wagon knows they are elusive...so couple a rare light with a rare wagon and you've got a challenge.

Glad you were able to find them Ed. One more thing off the check list now.

correct. the Pontiac uses one bulb the Chevy uses 3. the poncho is flat with one light and top and bottom reflectors and a center wing surrounding the center lens. the Chevy has the back up light and upper red with a more rounded appearance. the shape is the same and they will all fit the hole.

here is a set of 53 Chevy

Attachments

• 1953chevy taillight.jpg
    1953chevy taillight.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 170
I have come across several of the Chevy wagon housings recently, but they all look like you could grate cheese with them! Must have been a very low quality pot metal.

thats what this Pontiac one looks like. but as I have been looking sentence got the car in 2010 I was just happy to get one. you find another one in you wandering around let me know. cause these chevy lights don't look right

Attachments

• IMG_2038.jpg
    IMG_2038.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4858.jpg
    IMG_4858.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 81
The real trick would be taking them off when the car is laying on its belly in a salvage yard! I assume that you need to access the bolts through the rear wheel wells.

the wagon and the sedan delivery are both most likely removed from a excess panel from in side. but I could be wrong on that. this ambulance I have is boxed in the back and I just don't see were it was done by Armbruster. as all they did was split it in two and add the middle.

Back