"other" henney packards

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Received this from PCS Member Mike McDonald
This Ad was in the Current Hemmings-Classic Cars Magazine ran originally in "Motor America" Magazine in the Spring of 1954. Although we all readily associate Henney-Packards for their very popular Ambulances and Hearses built thru 1954.... I didn't realize that their "trend conscious" staff of designers also made a handful of Station Wagons and "Flying Sportsmans" for the active hunter or fisherman! MM

To visit the Hemmings Website.... click here

Attachments

• PACKARD-henney.pdf
    449.5 KB · Views: 327
I wonder if a Flying Sportsman was ever built (and no I dont have the Henney book yet). Neat ad! Heres a Richard Arbib design where the whole rear of the car rotates, interesting twist for a sideloader or rearloader.
27611198.jpg

I think I read that this was an idea that never came to fruition (actually, both the camper and the rotating body). It seems this was a last-minute attempt to make something out of an unfortunately-dying operation.

the other Henney

The ad in question here is in a Hemmings Publication. Hemmings Classis Car. See page 95 of #61 volume 6 issue 1. This is the October 2009 issue. These cars were idea cars. The ad shows a very large station wagon on the Packard commercial chassis. The second picture shows a station wagon ala camper sportsmans car. It could sleep 4 people. 2 cots would be hanging from the ceiling as in an ambulance. This car was a modified ambulance. The third picture shows the Packard Pan American convertible. The blurb at the bottom says this ad originally appeared in Motor America Spring 1954.
Hope this helps cure your curiosity. One reason they could not see these things is the high price. They were priced like the hearses and ambulances of the time or maybe a bit more. As has been said, it was an attempt to save an already dead company. Too bad, that 4 sleeper camper sport wagon would have been an awesome item today.
Mike

Back